Students with Instructors

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
If the service puts on EMT classes, and the instructor is a senior paramedic, do you think that student should ride 3rd, or be precepted, by their instructor while doing clinicals in the field ? It seems to have people up in a roar around here. Just curious as to what your opinion is.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
If the service puts on EMT classes, and the instructor is a senior paramedic, do you think that student should ride 3rd, or be precepted, by their instructor while doing clinicals in the field ? It seems to have people up in a roar around here. Just curious as to what your opinion is.

No.

For a variety of reasons.

Students should have exposure to many different ways of doing things.

If your instructor doesn't get a long with you, it will be a really rough time.

Keeps the instructor honest and doesn't allow class opinion/perform to interfere with practical eval.

If your instructor makes a mistake, you will go a long time before it is corrected.

Allows instructor to focus on a specific part of the discipline. (class or field)

Some advanced providers are not very good at teaching beginners.

reaper

Working Bum
Depends on the instructor. Do they have ethics?

A lot would help push through a mediocre student, just so their pass rates look good on paper.

A true educator could do it. I would have no problem booting a student that just can not grasp the education material or can not put the education to use in the field!

OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
No.

For a variety of reasons.

Students should have exposure to many different ways of doing things.

If your instructor doesn't get a long with you, it will be a really rough time.

Keeps the instructor honest and doesn't allow class opinion/perform to interfere with practical eval.

If your instructor makes a mistake, you will go a long time before it is corrected.

Allows instructor to focus on a specific part of the discipline. (class or field)

Some advanced providers are not very good at teaching beginners.

Just FYI, she does have a degree in teaching as well, and has been teaching basics for a looong time. Guess I should have said that in my post.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Just FYI, she does have a degree in teaching as well, and has been teaching basics for a looong time. Guess I should have said that in my post.

Doesn't change anything, even in basic science classes in university the lab prof or TA is always different from the lead prof.

at least in all my experience

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Ms.Medic

Ms.Medic

Forum Captain
Doesn't change anything, even in basic science classes in university the lab prof or TA is always different from the lead prof.

I thought you were getting at the fact that she may not know how to teach the material,,,thats all.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I thought you were getting at the fact that she may not know how to teach the material,,,thats all.

Not at all.

I think I know what I am doing when I teach, I like to focus on one part. (lecture, lab, or clinical)

I no longer teach basic providers, nor do I want to. I like to help make providers better, not start from scratch. Somebody has to, I know, but not me.

RMSP05

Forum Probie

I have always had the same teacher for both lab and lecture in my 4 yrs of college. But i know of alot of big school that have TA's teach labs because the professors are so busy

But as for in the EMS world, i think it is better to have differnt people for your clinical time, because you can learn differnt things from differnt kinds of people. I remember back when i was doing my clinicals, i learned alot of things just by seeing the differnt ways people do things. everyone has differnt learning styles, and having clinical time with people besides your instructor gives you the opertunity to ask the people your working with questions and hopefully learn from them.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I don't see the problem with it. As long as your instructor isn't letting you sit back and relax. I did a ride out with my instructor and he threw me right into everything. I wouldn't recommend doing all your ride outs with the same person though. As other have stated you need to work with different people and see how the same thing is done but in different ways. Our instructor just teaches the lectures, we have skills instructors that come to teach lab but our primary instructor is there to over see everything.