Students read Pledge in Arabic - Blasphemy or Promoting Diversity?

Sublime

LP, RN
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2270944/Rocky-Mountain-High-School-Outrage-high-school-recites-Pledge-Arabic-saying-One-Nation-Under-Allah.html#ixzz2SAiCr600

So this has been on my Facebook feed due to some of my friends re-posting / sharing this. It seems to have some people super outraged.

If you read the comments on the article, people seem to be very upset with this.

https://www.facebook.com/USMCHELLHOUNDS
This is the Facebook page that was sharing it on facebook. If you scroll down a bit you'll see it. The comments are talking about starting a revolution over this...:rolleyes:

Here's my opinion. I think it's fine. What is wrong with reading the pledge in different languages? I think promoting cultural diversity is a good thing. As long as the kids know how to read it in English also.

Most of these people seem infuriated that they used the word "Allah", but I seriously doubt any of them realize that "Allah" is just an Arabic word for God, and doesn't specifically represent the Muslim version. In this case they were referring the Christian god by saying the word Allah. So what is the "revolution" about? People are acting like they were trying to convert these kids into Muslims.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Speaking any language other than Amurikan is unpatriotic :rolleyes:

In other countries most students learn numerous foreign languages at a young age. I think that should be encouraged.

I see no problem with it at all. They say the pledge of allegiance in multiple languages. So what? The idea was from a student group promoting cultural diversity.

The ignorance and hatred in the comments is appalling. Most of these people can not even articulate a sensible comment using proper grammar.

For example....

"Absolutely disgusting. How dare they, ans why nwere they alloed to do this unpatriotic, anmd mortally offensive "parayer"?
- Ken, Northamptonshire, 30/1/2013 16:55"

Not sure how this is at all morally offensive.

There are two doctors where I work, one is Jewish and the other is Muslim. Whenever they see each other they always greet with "As-salam alaykum" and "Shalom". I think that is awesome. Can you imagine the outrage if they taught common greetings from different languages/religions?

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
This is obviously ridiculous, but alas, ignorance is an epidemic.

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. Your source is the Daily Fail.
2. In regards to the controversy, to the best of my knowledge there is recognized state language, just the language of the majority.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
The easy solution is to recite the Pledge as it was originally written.

Remove "under god". We are NOT one nation under a god, we are one nation under many gods, a god and no gods. Religious beliefs should have nothing to do with one's pledge of loyalty to a nation.

The goal should ALWAYS be "One Nation, INDIVISIBLE" but by the mere insertion of a religious deity we are already dividing the nation....ironic no?

OP
OP
Sublime

Sublime

LP, RN
The ignorance and hatred in the comments is appalling. Most of these people can not even articulate a sensible comment using proper grammar.

I'm not going to lie, reading all those comments makes me lose faith in humanity. I am continually surprised by the massive amount of ignorance and plain stupidity of facebook.

Remove "under god". We are NOT one nation under a god, we are one nation under many gods, a god and no gods. Religious beliefs should have nothing to do with one's pledge of loyalty to a nation.

The goal should ALWAYS be "One Nation, INDIVISIBLE" but by the mere insertion of a religious deity we are already dividing the nation....ironic no?

Great point. "Under God" wasn't even in the original pledge, it was added in the 50s.

JPINFV

Gadfly

Sure... but it's about as likely as going back to the original flag salute.

200px-Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_American_flag_with_the_Bellamy_salute.jpg

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Sure... but it's about as likely as going back to the original flag salute.

200px-Students_pledging_allegiance_to_the_American_flag_with_the_Bellamy_salute.jpg

Poor comparison mainly because I do not see any provisions in any of our historical founding documents stating the Bellamy Salute was to be used or not used...but what I do see is a clear line between religion and government which "we" choose to ignore and continue to further divide the country.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Poor comparison mainly because I do not see any provisions in any of our historical founding documents stating the Bellamy Salute was to be used or not used...but what I do see is a clear line between religion and government which "we" choose to ignore and continue to further divide the country.

I think you missed the part where I agreed with you, but stated my additional belief that such a change is not probable.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you missed the part where I agreed with you, but stated my additional belief that such a change is not probable.

No, I saw it...just felt the need to clarify the bad comparison. It is my nature. :)

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Interestingly, the United States is actually one of the few countries that doesn't have an official language. While 'American English' is the de facto language spoke by most of the population, at a federal level there isn't anything actually on the books regarding it.