Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Stroller Saves Baby in West Side Collapse

Updated: 07-15-2005 10:07:08 AM
E-MAIL THIS STORY PRINT THIS STORY

KATE MURRAY, BRIGITTE STELZER and BILL SANDERSON
Courtesy of New York Post

July 15, 2005 -- A supermarket under demolition collapsed onto Upper West Side pedestrians yesterday — and the calamity's littlest victim was saved by a tank-tough, $600-plus baby stroller that shielded her from the crashing rubble.

Among the five injured was 7-month-old Abigail Lurensky, who was seated in an Urban Double Mountain Buggy.

The stroller's rugged design saved the baby's life when scaffolding and the wall of a building under demolition on Broadway near 100th Street collapsed around her at 9:15 a.m.

Her nanny, Brunilda Tirado, 56, was not so lucky. She was left sprawled on the sidewalk with a broken leg and an arm broken in two places.

"Help my baby! Help my baby!" witnesses heard Tirado scream.

EMS workers Jesus Palacios and Mike Blecker rushed to the scene and spotted the stroller amid the debris of the former Gristedes supermarket. "A couple of bystanders were starting to dig [out] something which looked like a stroller," said Palacios.

<snip>

Abigail wasn't breathing as Blecker and Palacios rushed her to St. Luke's Hospital about a dozen blocks away, but the hero paramedics worked quickly to save her.

Mayor Bloomberg visited Abigail at the hospital yesterday afternoon. "The baby is in great shape," he said. "I said to the mother, 'This doesn't look like an injured baby.'

~From Firehouse.com
Clicky