stressing about medic school options

newmedic33

Forum Probie
Hows it goin everyone I've been set on going to paramedic school for about a year now. Little background on myself, I work at a small fire dept and have also been an emt b for about 7 months now, I love it and definitely wanna pursue paramedic.

I don't make much ( about 0.50 cents more than minimum wage) therefore I don't make much plus I have a truck payment... dumb I know lol. Anyways there is not a school, program, community college etc, that offers a paramedic certificate or degree within 200 miles of me. Theres one about 100 miles away but they don't offer a certificate program and It takes 3 years for the associates, no idea why. So regardless I signed up for an online hybrid medic school and have been doing that for about 3 months now and its just not sticking at all, guess im not one for online learning, I've tried other methods of studying and its just not working well for me... I'm trying hard just when I read it goes in one ear out the other and im usually an A-B student... So maybe someone whose done an online medic program can chime in with other study habits to help me?

Or?

Denver health swedish or St. Anthony's is probably the closest fastest program to me in Denver, like I said im 21 years old and dead set on getting my paramedic and I want to get it while im still young and get stuck in my home town or end up with kids etc, which wont allow me to get it. How did ya'll go to paramedic school? I've been stressing a ton, do I stay with an online deal and get a cert.. maybe, or do I go to a top notch school and take off from work and become a great medic? I prefer the latter its just financially the courses are both around $6000 plus their M-F for the accelerated which I want to do, and I'd have to relocate and neither school has dorms, so now I have to factor in rent, food, etc, because I doubt Im going to be able to work at all or much during the 6 months of school, plus a truck payment, transportation, etc. I mean I don't mind eating ramen for 6 months just rent isn't cheap in Denver and with no job its gonna be impossible... kinda depressed about all of that, I've been saving money and have quite a bit saved up, definitely not enough to live off of for 6 months and pay rent though I have about $4000 saved, so that doesn't even cover living or tuition... need some help please

So what should I do? need some other advice from medical professionals... Do I stay with the online program or do I pack up and go?

are there grants for people wanting to attend medic school? I don't think st Anthony's goes through a college so that gets rid of financial aid and pell grants and I think Denver health does but its a lot more expensive through the school especially out of state.

OR anybody done an online deal and has tips to offer for studying/ learning? Im just worried with the online I'll go through and pass but not be competent.. like I said I've been stressing like crazy, sorry for the long read and rant. Any ideas on places near Denver that hire emt intermediate/advanced emt's maybe a night shift or part time weekend gig, I have my advanced class done just waiting to do clinicals

also st Anthony's doesn't require an A&P course whereas Denver health Swedish requires A&P 1 and 2... So kind of excludes me unless I take a college course which would push my chances back another 6 months without work, I just can't afford to take off completely from school, what do I do?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
N

newmedic33

Forum Probie
I guess let me make this simpler... online and continue to work, or traditional paramedic school and take off and take loans to live and relocate?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I went to Swedish and had a great experience there. I had a scientific Bachelor's degree going in though, and I think that makes a big difference as to what you get out of it. Take the Anatomy and Physiology pre-reqs. If you actually want to be a great medic and do anything beyond cookbook medicine, this foundation is essential for your future practice. Take the time to do it right, and only do it once. Save up for a bit longer if you have to, but I'd take a loan or two and do an in person class with time off work.

OP
OP
N

newmedic33

Forum Probie
I went to Swedish and had a great experience there. I had a scientific Bachelor's degree going in though, and I think that makes a big difference as to what you get out of it. Take the Anatomy and Physiology pre-reqs. If you actually want to be a great medic and do anything beyond cookbook medicine, this foundation is essential for your future practice. Take the time to do it right, and only do it once. Save up for a bit longer if you have to, but I'd take a loan or two and do an in person class with time off work.

that's what I'm planning on doing, taking A&P through my local community college and transfer the credits, I know Swedish is paired with Arapahoe do they take financial aid though? Haven't been able to reach anyone lately probably to due to the new class starting. Hopefully if I apply though I get it.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
They do have financial aid in place as it is run through Arapahoe Community College and can lead to an Associate's degree.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
I felt like it was in one ear and out the other when I was 3 months in, and that was a live classroom.

Do you have medics at work that you can study with 2-3 times a week?

Buy podcasts. Honestly, the FISDAP podcasts helped me a lot. Watch videos. Read and re-read chapters everyday. Use stuff like Knightlife software and NREMT-P flashcards. It's a lot of info, but you'll get it.

There are people on here who make medic sound like a breeze that they never had to study for.

Honestly, I have a 4.0 at OSU and a 3.9 at my local community college. I don't have that hard of a time getting all "A"s in college. I really had to study my butt off in medic school in order to make it. I studied 4-6 hours a day, 7 days a week. Don't be discouraged if you're having a hard time. Honestly, it's just as hard in a classroom. Kick your butt into high-gear and study harder.

OP
OP
N

newmedic33

Forum Probie
I felt like it was in one ear and out the other when I was 3 months in, and that was a live classroom.

Do you have medics at work that you can study with 2-3 times a week?

Buy podcasts. Honestly, the FISDAP podcasts helped me a lot. Watch videos. Read and re-read chapters everyday. Use stuff like Knightlife software and NREMT-P flashcards. It's a lot of info, but you'll get it.

There are people on here who make medic sound like a breeze that they never had to study for.

Honestly, I have a 4.0 at OSU and a 3.9 at my local community college. I don't have that hard of a time getting all "A"s in college. I really had to study my butt off in medic school in order to make it. I studied 4-6 hours a day, 7 days a week. Don't be discouraged if you're having a hard time. Honestly, it's just as hard in a classroom. Kick your butt into high-gear and study harder.

ya maybe i'll look into that just gotta study harder I guess thanks for the pep talk just hard reading those really long chapters haha

Angel

Paramedic
I think you should go to a program where you can actually sit in class. clearly online isn't working for you and I believe if you don't have a solid paramedic school education itll just hurt you in the field. money is an issue (I can relate) but if that school is a community college you should be eligible for PELL grant which isn't a ton but will help, coupled with your savings. itll be tough but doable. just be very cautious with your money. I worked FT during clinicals and didactic and it SUCKED but is doable. you just gotta make sure you study and don't bs around in your free time.

to me itd be more of a waste to stick through the program your in, struggle the entire time, possibly not pass and have to do it again anyway. its a gamble and you have a lot to consider. waiting a year or 2 might be a good idea as well. I know that's not what you wanna hear but don't let medic school put you in debt either.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I find that as an online learner I have to really push myself to be an active learner. I read all of the assigned sections, highlight, and type notes. I attend all of the virtual meetings and dedicate a couple of hours each night to my studies. I'm tired, it's not always fun, but it works.

If I were taking a medic class I would:
1. Pre-read the section before they even go over it
2. Make flash cards with key terms and vocabulary
3. Continually work on expanding my knowledge of anatomy, as it seems to be one of the most challenging components of the program
4. Do all of the online course requirements
5. Have a local (or virtual) study group that you meet with regularly
6. Buy study aids and use them. Fisdap, JBLearning, etc.
7. Ask your instructors what they suggest

If that doesn't work, then you may be more successful in the face-to-face program at one of the schools mentioned.

Good luck!

OP
OP
N

newmedic33

Forum Probie
I think you should go to a program where you can actually sit in class. clearly online isn't working for you and I believe if you don't have a solid paramedic school education itll just hurt you in the field. money is an issue (I can relate) but if that school is a community college you should be eligible for PELL grant which isn't a ton but will help, coupled with your savings. itll be tough but doable. just be very cautious with your money. I worked FT during clinicals and didactic and it SUCKED but is doable. you just gotta make sure you study and don't bs around in your free time.

to me itd be more of a waste to stick through the program your in, struggle the entire time, possibly not pass and have to do it again anyway. its a gamble and you have a lot to consider. waiting a year or 2 might be a good idea as well. I know that's not what you wanna hear but don't let medic school put you in debt either.

Ya hopefully I can pay for the majority with financial aid but it also seems most community colleges are going to 3-4 semesters just for a certificate, seems a bit long to me id rather do 6 months to a year mon-fri or 3 days a week, but I cancelled and took a loss on the online its not working at all and I don't wanna be a poor medic with just a cert,I want to be the best medic I can be. As of right now Im just trying to make contact with the instructor/ head director to see if an online accredited A&P course would work for the prereq (looking at corexcel) any reviews? but about getting into debt honestly Im so far into debt right now from previous student loans, and a new truck its not even funny lol (about 30,000) I am however current on all payments. but Im not worried about getting further into debt, worst case scenario has anyone ever heard of taking a personal education loan? if not I don't see how people pay for medic school in cash 5000-7000 for private medic schools that aren't through a college.

OP
OP
N

newmedic33

Forum Probie
I find that as an online learner I have to really push myself to be an active learner. I read all of the assigned sections, highlight, and type notes. I attend all of the virtual meetings and dedicate a couple of hours each night to my studies. I'm tired, it's not always fun, but it works.

If I were taking a medic class I would:
1. Pre-read the section before they even go over it
2. Make flash cards with key terms and vocabulary
3. Continually work on expanding my knowledge of anatomy, as it seems to be one of the most challenging components of the program
4. Do all of the online course requirements
5. Have a local (or virtual) study group that you meet with regularly
6. Buy study aids and use them. Fisdap, JBLearning, etc.
7. Ask your instructors what they suggest

If that doesn't work, then you may be more successful in the face-to-face program at one of the schools mentioned.

Good luck!

gonna be trying this as well as fisdap, knightlife, lots of youtube, and chat sessions. Gonna stick with percom and do my best, Im also going to start reading at least an hour or two every night in my paramedic books, just have to go over and over and over it all again until it sticks, Can't see relocating for 8 plus months with no job and getting 10-15k more in debt. Or spending $800 plus on just getting my pre reqs to attend Swedish.