stick with paramedic...or start pre-med?

daedralarsa

Forum Probie
so I just finished the intermediate courses at the start of summer...though i haven't tested out yet. initially i was planning on finishing my paramedic...and then go for RN. But now...after talking with a pre-med advisor...im certain that med school is my new ambition.
in your opinion, should i finish my paramedic training (another yr to go) before starting pre-med, or do i test out as an intermediate and jump full time into pre-med?
ive always told myself i would finish paramedic...so starting pre-med now would make me feel like im quiting. yet if i wait another yr and finish my paramedic ill feel as though ive just been putting off premed for that much longer.
I love EMS...but i know its not what i want to do for the rest of my life.
any opinions please?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think you need to evaluate where you want to go, and how much time and resources you have to get there.

Being an EMT or Paramedic will give you some perspective if you decide to go on to medical school, but it's not a prerequisite. If you think you really can dedicate twelve years of your life to medical school, and see it through, then I'd go that route. If you think that there's a good chance you'd change your mind along the way, then I'd get your Paramedic cert as something to fall back on.

Everyone can do premed, it's not that difficult. Getting into a good medical school and completing it in a timely manner (while maintaining your sanity) is the tough part.

OP
OP
D

daedralarsa

Forum Probie
ive never looked as emt training as being a prereq. to something else.
it is a career all its own.
but as my situation now allows me to pursue medical school...it is something i wont pass up.
thank you for your input.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Want to be a Doc.. then go pre-med. Sorry, I wished I had a penny for every "I want to be a Doc" line. Very few make it through pre-med and out of that very few make it into medical school. It takes time and true dedication.. something, I would really consider if you have to ask....

Why waste time as a medic... and yes, that is all it would be. Sorry, doubt you could work as one long enough to get that much experience being in school, studies, etc.. Unless, you can obtain at least 5-10 years experience as a Paramedic, then you really have not obtained that much experience.

R/r 911

OP
OP
D

daedralarsa

Forum Probie
hmm i dont remember asking if anyone thought i should or shouldnt go into pre-med and medical school...just whether or not i should finish my paramedic before doing so, seeing as alot of people on this forum are licensed paramedics they could give me their opinion on the matter.
yes i know, med school adcom doesnt care about whether or not i have a license...they only look for the experience ive obtained while working under that license.
thank you for your input

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Agree with Rid.

If you want to be a doctor, go to college and start your pre-med studies. You will have enough opportunities in Medical school and your residency to get experience that you may or may not get as a Paramedic.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
hmm i dont remember asking if anyone thought i should or shouldnt go into pre-med and medical school...just whether or not i should finish my paramedic before doing so, seeing as alot of people on this forum are licensed paramedics they could give me their opinion on the matter.
yes i know, med school adcom doesnt care about whether or not i have a license...they only look for the experience ive obtained while working under that license.
thank you for your input

I've yet seen any medical school give a poop on how much experience one has as a Paramedic. Most rather have seen you work in a lab or clinical research.. something with more scientific flair.

R/r 911

Hastings

Noobie
Actually, contrary to what Rid has said, being a Paramedic will really get your foot in the door when it comes to admissions. These days, medical school is so competitive that they will seek those who have proven they have real world skills, experience, and training. Being a working paramedic (and definitely RN) will immediately put you way ahead of the many other applicants, some of which just came out of High School.

It really does mean something to higher institutions to know that you have the skills that you learn as a paramedic. And I'm not talking about dropping ET Tubes or starting IVs. I'm talking about the real world, character skills. Responsibility, reliability, management, dedication, and so on.

Edit: In fact, many are going back after applying and doing the EMT thing just so they can say they have medical experience. I'm not kidding. Schools care. A lot. At least, the ones here do. And I doubt it's a whole lot different there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have a few friends that are on the admission council /committee of at least two medical schools. They know B.S. when they look at a resume or curriculum vitae. Sorry, but in comparison of one that worked as a graduate research assistant in a drug trial study or one that shuffled granny back & forth, which one do you think they will pick.

Obviously, there is nothing wrong with EMS, but alas most recognize that performing part-time as a Paramedic for a few years does not even begin to get exposure to real medicine. Sure, most do like some patient contact, and that is why I recommend ER tech positions. Especially, when wanting letters of referrence and recommendations from physicians.

Not totally disagreeing but when in competition against 300-400 other applicants; one wants to really shine!...

R/r 911

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I've yet seen any medical school give a poop on how much experience one has as a Paramedic. Most rather have seen you work in a lab or clinical research.. something with more scientific flair.

R/r 911

That is only partially correct. After having gone through the medical school admissions process once (as part of a joint BS/MD program out of High School, granted I was only admitted to one med school), and having a premed advisor that serves on a Medical School ADCOM, i have ascertained that clinical research or lab work is only a true requirement for those seeking an MD/PhD program. If you are not going into research, its not as relavant as to how much research experience you have. They would like to see that you have had some clinical shadowing time and some experiences that allow you to truly know that you want to be a doctor.

dae--you state that you have always told yourself that you have always told yourself that you will finish your medic school and that not doing so will make you feel like you are quitting. There is nothing wrong with changing life plans. Think of it as just another college major, surely if you found another major that you are more interested in you wouldn't feel like you are quitting one major for the other?

However if you truly feel like getting your medic card is something you want to do, there is nothing wrong with delaying med school for another year. You would then be able to apply as a non-traditional applicant to med school and while doing the premed requirements of BCPM, you could work as a medic to earn some cash. There is nothing wrong with this approach that makes it better or worse than starting your premed studies now.

One thing you want to keep in mind, assuming you start your pre med studies and decide not to continue or you are not able to get into a medical school that you desire to attend for 4 years or more, what is your fall back career? Do you have a major picked out to go along with premed? Or are you at one of those few schools in the nation that still have premed as a major?

At my particular institution, we started the freshman class with somewhere near 600 premeds. At the end of one semester we were left with about 450. We will begin sophomore year with just under 300.

No one can make this choice for you, but just keep in mind these main points:
-There is no shame in changing life paths-- this is known as wisdom
-If you truly enjoy doing something, go for it!
-Always have a backup plan in case you are waylaid from your first plan

Hastings

Noobie
I have a few friends that are on the admission council /committee of at least two medical schools. They know B.S. when they look at a resume or curriculum vitae. Sorry, but in comparison of one that worked as a graduate research assistant in a drug trial study or one that shuffled granny back & forth, which one do you think they will pick.

Obviously, there is nothing wrong with EMS, but alas most recognize that performing part-time as a Paramedic for a few years does not even begin to get exposure to real medicine. Sure, most do like some patient contact, and that is why I recommend ER tech positions. Especially, when wanting letters of referrence and recommendations from physicians.

Not totally disagreeing but when in competition against 300-400 other applicants; one wants to really shine!...

R/r 911

Oh, okay. I can agree with you there.

When I moved, I got to meet my new medical director. He's a physician of 20 years, who started out as a paramedic, then to RN, then to medical school. He credits his success largely to that ladder-climbing process, and the experience and skills gained from his previous positions, as well as the contacts and relationships he made in the field, in the hospital, and in the community.

Gaining clinical experience as a premedical student is rather
important as it can show that your decision to want to go to medical
school is well-rooted, and not coming out of left field. Gaining
clinical experience, however, means different things to different
people.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I can't find it, but there was a survey published asking a bunch of New England area ad coms their impressions about prehospital work and applicants. In general, it was viewed as a weak positive with no committees viewing it as a negitive. Most did not consider paramedics any differently than basics.

So, does it help? Sure. A lot? No. Does being a higher level matter? Not really.

Now a few things to consider. The vast majority of medical students have clinical experience and a majority has some sort of research experience. Futhermore, grades and MCAT scores matter a whole lot more than any experience. To take it a step further, about half of medical school applicants don't get in every year. Getting into medical school is not about being qualified. There are plenty of those. You have to either be good, or unique. Unique is hard to get, so the best route is a high MCAT and high GPA.

An interesting discussion on using EMS to pad applications:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=480043

firecoins

IFT Puppet
go to med school.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
med school, don't waste your time with medic.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It varies, it varies.

I went into nursing because I thought it was a rung in the ladder, one above paramedic. It's a different ladder. Surprise. I was told literally to take my EMT and rescuemen experience and training and "put them in a little drawer in your mind for later" so that I would be able to get through school. I cannot help but think that is the case in some medical schools, especially those with a "keep the students beat down and tired" attitude.

Were I asked for this sort of advice by my offspring, I'd say go to premed, but if you can get your paramedic also, go ahead. As was said above, you ARE going to get blown off course in life and a paramedic certif will get you a better job than a premed degree if you find yourself with a wife and kid and no student loans etc to live on.