steps to become a medic?

nicolel3440

Forum Crew Member
I have seen a little discushion on this but not much. Does anyone know what the law is in pa for going for your medic. Do you have to get your emt-b first before you can go for your medic. And if so do you have to work so long before you go for your medic.
thanks in advance any advice would be great or were to find the info

medic417

The Truth Provider
Contact your state office so you get accurate info rather than rely on know it alls on a forum.

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
++ for Medic417

mkyish

Forum Ride Along
yeah i think u need to be EMT certified before being a paramedic.
its recommended to get some experience as an EMT in the field for like 2 years or so before going to paramedic school but you can go to paramedic school right after EMT school so do wtvr u wanna do!

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I have seen a little discushion on this but not much. Does anyone know what the law is in pa for going for your medic. Do you have to get your emt-b first before you can go for your medic. And if so do you have to work so long before you go for your medic.
thanks in advance any advice would be great or were to find the info

The state most likely won't have specific laws stating the process of becoming a paramedic. What they will have is a requirements list to get your state certification. All of their requirements (which I just looked up) will be met by you completing an accredited medic program and passing the national registry test.

What you should be looking at is what are the paramedic programs requirements. This has been extensively discussed here, multiple times. Some schools will only require you to have your EMT-B cert, others expect work, and yet others expect certain prep courses and work. That's where you should be looking at making decisions.

But you will have to get your EMT-B first so why not just start there, don't put the cart in front of the horse, and see if this is even the right job for you.

medic417

The Truth Provider
its recommended to get some experience as an EMT in the field for like 2 years or so before going to paramedic school but you can go to paramedic school right after EMT school so do wtvr u wanna do!

Who recommends that nonsense? Why is EMS the only health field where a few people say you need to stop your education?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Who recommends that nonsense? Why is EMS the only health field where a few people say you need to stop your education?

Hopefully not, but I've seen nursing schools require (or highly recommend) 500 hours of patient care- as a CNA, EMT, etc- as a pre-req for admission.