Starting paramedic training at 48?

lateralligator

Forum Crew Member
Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forum here because I am considering paramedic training at age 48, after an almost 20-yr. career as a licensed massage therapist. I'm female, reasonably fit--and can certainly become more so--and have a strong desire to continue to be of service to people, but in a new and challenging field.

Is there ANY reason why I should reconsider this, or reject the idea outright?

I do quite well academically (was in grad school for awhile in early 40's, and have a strong-ish, but calm, personality.)

Thanks in advance. Im enjoying lurking and learning here.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Nope no reason at all.

OP
OP
L

lateralligator

Forum Crew Member
Thanks for your reply, Corky.

I'm so deadly bored/burned out in my current profession that I'm thinking I've got another year, max, of wearing this hat. If my age won't be an issue with job opportunities as a paramedic, that's really encouraging.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Nah I personally know full time paramedics from the age of 22 to there late 60's still working FT 911. Once you get the calling it doesnt matter what your age, just go for it.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Nope. Your customer service and people skills will put you well ahead of the curve as will your general life experience. Physically you might find it tougher than some of the 20ish year olds but then again I know some really out of shape 20ish year olds that do the job.

OP
OP
L

lateralligator

Forum Crew Member
Thanks, Bigbaldguy. Yeah, I feel like my fitness level is something I can control to a degree.I feared posters would be relying that I would a) be passed over because of my age for jobs or b) just be physically incapable of keeping up, despite whatever I thought my fitness level was, because 48 is just ooooold.:unsure:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Thanks, Bigbaldguy. Yeah, I feel like my fitness level is something I can control to a degree.I feared posters would be relying that I would a) be passed over because of my age for jobs or b) just be physically incapable of keeping up, despite whatever I thought my fitness level was, because 48 is just ooooold.:unsure:

Your age could work against you in the hiring process true. On the other hand there's less chance they will be paying out on any maternity leave, and you won't be calling out sick to take care of the kids so it's kind of a trade off.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Meh, We have a newish full time medic who's in his early to mid 60s. Finished medic school around a year and a half ago.

He's hilarious to work with. When him and some of our older EMTs work together they are affectionately called the AARP car.

OP
OP
L

lateralligator

Forum Crew Member
Meh, We have a newish full time medic who's in his early to mid 60s. Finished medic school around a year and a half ago.

He's hilarious to work with. When him and some of our older EMTs work together they are affectionately called the AARP car.

THAT is funny.:p

reichera

Forum Ride Along
Go for it. I just got released as an EMT-E (Virginia-recognized ALS level) at 51. There's no reason why you can't pursue P. Good luck!

Now excuse me, I have to go catch my AARP car... (I love that!) :lol:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Your age could work against you in the hiring process true. On the other hand there's less chance they will be paying out on any maternity leave, and you won't be calling out sick to take care of the kids so it's kind of a trade off.

Then again, the age may be seen as a positive, maturity, life experience etc.

nremtjohn

Forum Ride Along
Not to Worry

I started paramedic school in January at the age of 63. I've found the younger students and the instructor to be very supportive. Most of them are impressed that I am starting something new at this age, instead of getting ready for retirement.

jnsangel33

Forum Crew Member
NEVER TOO LATE TO FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!! I just became an EMT at 41 working towards PA. I have a sister-in-law, whom at 50something is in Nursing school .... it is happening more and more these days us women finding it in ourselves to "go for it!!" You'll be fine! :beerchug:

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I started paramedic school in January at the age of 63. I've found the younger students and the instructor to be very supportive. Most of them are impressed that I am starting something new at this age, instead of getting ready for retirement.

Gee, now I wonder...think I ought to get back on an ambo?

If we did a poll I'd guess most here would say, "Please, spare the patients!"

Apparently whatever you did up to now didn't tweak your bones, God Bless You, my knees are shot.

And if this is true, I think you get the record here for an FOG becoming an FNG!

Last edited by a moderator:

PVC

Forum Crew Member
Go for it! Good on you for continuing your education.

One of the rumblings in EMS is that new providers are hitting the streets lacking in soft skills. Your life experience should be a true asset as you begin to care for your patients.

Best wishes to you!

OP
OP
L

lateralligator

Forum Crew Member

Wow! That is so awesome!! I wish you success.

Thanks everybody. You know, I like you guys...;)