Starting Medic

jona2125

Forum Probie
Hey all been a while since I've got on this site, been keeping up with other things. I am a Basic right now and was one of the first to be added into the roster for HFCC's Paramedic program for Fall 2011. I'm finishing my Summer semester this week then I'm hitting the books early before the 25th when Medic starts. I'm beyond excited for this. This has been nothing but a dedication since I started. After Medic I will be going through the Fire Academy then job hunting in Florida unless Michigan sprouts a job before I can leave.

So what I'm wondering is is how were others experiences through their Paramedic program? Any tips or pointers? My goal is to get all the Cert's on top of Medic too. I'd rather not waste knowledge available to me. My main goal is to be calm cool and collective just like running a call. No sense working up thoughts on something and risk the efficacy of skills.

emscrazy1

Forum Lieutenant
If you go to medic school in Michigan you will have to take the medic exam in Florida. There isn't reciprocity.

OP
OP
jona2125

jona2125

Forum Probie
Not true I've already been taking a look. Once I certify with the NREMT at the paramedic level I can get licensend in Michigan and if I do move to Florida all I need is to fill out the Statement of Good Standing form and give them all copies of my passing documents. Very convenient but worst come to worst I do have to retake the exam which isn't a big deal

OP
OP
jona2125

jona2125

Forum Probie
Lol yea either way tho fresh out of school passing the exam a second time wouldn't be so bad. It's cool too my school here in Michigan is good enough to where our lab practical actually is our NREMT practical so all we have to do is take the written

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
http://doh.state.fl.us/mqa/EMT-Paramedic/faq-certification.htm#Q2

Q: I'm certified in another state, how do I become certified?

A: An EMT or Paramedic who was out-of-state trained or received their training on a military installation is eligible to take the Florida certification examination provided. The training was in accordance with the U.S. DOT National Standard Curriculum and the certification is in good standing.

•An application
•A current copy of your state or NREMT certification
•A Statement of Good Standing (DH Form 1164) (pdf - 95kb) completed by the authority that issued the certification.
•A copy of your course completion certificate.

I just went through this process last month, FL DOES NOT have Reciprocity.......Your NREMT cert ONLY makes you eligible to take FL test. If your a basic you will take the NREMT assessment (same as certification test for basics) and if you hold a medic cert you will take a test provided by FL, not NR.

Hope this helps, check out the FL DOH website i posted, if you havent already.

OP
OP
jona2125

jona2125

Forum Probie
Weird I was told that all I had to do was do a written and then I'm licensed in Florida. My goal is to get on with Palm Beach Fire Rescue. It has been a few months since I asked anyone about it down there. Would suck if I had to do the whole exam over again.

I'm gonna license with Michigan as a Paramedic and then go from there.

EMTSTUDENT25

Forum Lieutenant
yeah as far as i know you will submitt all required paperwork and then take a written test that the state of FL creates. Don't get it confused with NR because I'm almost positive its seperate. It took me a WHILE to get the facts straight! I was extremely shocked that they didnt offer reciprocity, considering taking the NR the first time was stressfull enough! It was the same test!!!

OP
OP
jona2125

jona2125

Forum Probie
yeah as far as i know you will submitt all required paperwork and then take a written test that the state of FL creates. Don't get it confused with NR because I'm almost positive its seperate. It took me a WHILE to get the facts straight! I was extremely shocked that they didnt offer reciprocity, considering taking the NR the first time was stressfull enough! It was the same test!!!

That's really unfortunate. I could have swore that Florida was an NREMT level State. I don't care either way since what else am I going to do, stay unemployed? Not a chance. Just weird how they work it.

Cleaver68

Forum Probie
Lol yea either way tho fresh out of school passing the exam a second time wouldn't be so bad. It's cool too my school here in Michigan is good enough to where our lab practical actually is our NREMT practical so all we have to do is take the written

Not for Medic at HFCC, only for basic they do the practical at the school.

OP
OP
jona2125

jona2125

Forum Probie
As for tips and pointers, study your *** off, and don't get behind. Its a rough 40 weeks. Good Luck!

Yea I confirmed with the instructor about it not being NREMT quality practical. That's unfortunate but oh well. And Yea I know it's going to be nuts especially combined with A&P 2. I've been studying Medic though since last year since I generally try to make sure I have a good solid understanding and to make it easier on me.

Cleaver68

Forum Probie
Yea I confirmed with the instructor about it not being NREMT quality practical. That's unfortunate but oh well. And Yea I know it's going to be nuts especially combined with A&P 2. I've been studying Medic though since last year since I generally try to make sure I have a good solid understanding and to make it easier on me.

Make sure you know your a&p, they don't go very in depth in the program considering a&p 1 and 2 were pre-req's to the program. But a good knowledge of a&p will DEFINITELY help throughout the program. They're great teachers, just passed at hfcc the last program around. You'll do well if you work hard

OP
OP
jona2125

jona2125

Forum Probie
Make sure you know your a&p, they don't go very in depth in the program considering a&p 1 and 2 were pre-req's to the program. But a good knowledge of a&p will DEFINITELY help throughout the program. They're great teachers, just passed at hfcc the last program around. You'll do well if you work hard

I think I was in your basic of 2009, you had carver right? I'm jorden but you probably don't remember me. You sound familiar going off your nickname

OP
OP
jona2125

jona2125

Forum Probie
Also I'm not satisfied with A&P I this semester. It was way too broad. I don't feel like I even learned anything more than I have through self directed learning at home