Starting EMT school in March am I crazy..

Future FF EMT 14

Forum Ride Along
I am starting EMT school in March this will be my first time attending any kind of class other than high school , I have to try to work 2 jobs and do schooling my friends think I'm setting myself up for failure , any advice ?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Don't fail?

Welcome to the world of EMS, where pretty much everyone went to school full time and worked full time to get to where they are. Just do what has to be done.

NC_EMT

Forum Probie
I work full time and I'm in class right now. They best thing to do is familiarize yourself with the material in the book before it's covered in class and study study study. If you are really motivated and pay attention, you shouldn't have a problem. BTW I used to live in NPR back in the day...

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Study this site; it's puking with real-world information.

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
Get ahead and stay ahead on reading your book.

When I did Basic, the people that started failing out weren't reading their book, they just wanted to sit thru lecture and wing it on tests, skills, etc. It showed.

fire_911medic

Forum Crew Member
Few pieces of good advice

1. Read ahead, you'll be glad you did. Taking notes also helps and by that I don't mean in class (though if something is mentioned in there that's a stand out, I'd definitely note it !), but go through your book and highlight what's important. You'll be glad you did.

2. Memorize your skill sheets. If you literally just regurgitate them back to the tester and also follow them exactly for the scenario based questions you will do fine. That's the order they want you to follow so you know what's most important.

3. Practice your skills any chance you get. I mean do assessments on your boyfriend/girlfriend, kids, dog, whatever. My dog was so used to be "assessed" when I'd rub his belly he'd automatically roll over and let me go through it !

4. Flashcards are a wonderful thing for terms you're not really familiar with. Plus they can be utilized almost anywhere.

5. Understand things don't flow always like the book on the street, this is meant to give you some sort of a starting point. But you gotta play by the rules to get in the game, and well, this is the rule book.

6. Invest in a good review book to review for the registry. There are several good ones out there. I have one I like in particular, but I cannot remember who does it - it is yellow and orange on the front though and says EMT-Basic registry review. It's fantastic ! I will look it up and post later on - runs about 30 dollars - will be one of the best 30 dollars spent. Also, do your workbook, get used to that type of questioning so you are comfortable with that style of test.

7. If you are having trouble, speak up early, don't wait. Most instructors will find someone to help you if you show you have initiative. Or if you are having difficulty testing there are resources out there. Ask for the help early, don't just assume you'll catch up later. Everything builds on what you already know - don't get left behind.

Take care, be safe, and have fun ! Many of us have done it while working crazy hours and yes, it is tough. Nobody said it's easy. However, the job is incredibly rewarding and I couldn't imagine doing anything else. I love it. Anything worth doing though is going to be alot of work. Good luck we look forward to seeing you on the streets !

OP
OP
F

Future FF EMT 14

Forum Ride Along
thanks guys ! I can't wait to start school I have wanted this for about 6 years now and have overcome so much to get where I'm at today . Has anyone ever heard of The Florida State Fire Academy located in Ocala ?

Jon Hus

Forum Ride Along
My personal observations having just completed EMT-B class: There was a 35% drop out rate beginning to end (38 started, 23 finished). All but 1 of the 15 students that either dropped out or were cut were teens or early 20s. Don't get me wrong, there were teens that did very well, but the bulk of the class that finished training were adults 30-50ish and have jobs, mortgages, kids, familys.

Your sucess is directly related to the amout of time you devote to this endevor.

Take care, study hard.

Last edited by a moderator:

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I am starting EMT school in March this will be my first time attending any kind of class other than high school , I have to try to work 2 jobs and do schooling my friends think I'm setting myself up for failure , any advice ?

Don't let the comments scare you, it is tough but if you want to do it you will have the determination to do so. Also some people can pick up on material better than others and may require less study time. You will have to find where you fit in with that. The hardest thing for me was the final exam, had to spend all that time in class and do good on all tests, then you get to that last one and have to make a 75% or better, or your road stops there. Many people got cut that last day and didn't get to come back for skills check off, so close.

Beehive

Forum Ride Along
I don't think you're crazy at all. I just received the credentials for my basic, today. The class, and ride alongs were/are some of the best experiences of my life. (That comes after marriage and a kid.) Might as well gun it, dude.

P.S. What everyone else said about the reading.... it's hard to catch up.

OP
OP
F

Future FF EMT 14

Forum Ride Along
I'm not as nervous about EMT school as I am Firefighting, I'm going to one of the hardest schools in Florida and I'm just a little 100 pound girl lol. I have been doing a lot of training though. well thanks for all of your help !

Piper76

Forum Probie
I work 40 hrs a week and go to class Mon, Tues, and Wed from 1800-2200 hrs. I also have clinical rotations and will soon start volunteering for a local FD. In addition to my schooling and work, I am a leader in a competition pipe band and am gearing up for the competition season (both solo and band).

I guess what I am saying is, you make time to do the things you want to do and the time to succeed at them.

Keep a positive attitude and your head to the grindstone and you will do fine!