Start Basic Training Sept. 9.....NEED ADVICE/POINTERS FOR PREPARING!

Chall09

Forum Probie
Dear EMS Advocates,

I'm 23 years old and recently graduated college at OSU with a BA in English. Recently I've decided to go back to school in the Fall (classes start Sept. 9) for EMT-Basic and I wanted to ask anybody (everybody) for advice on how I should prepare myself for my classes.

I have a little of a month to prepare and I've recently just bought my textbook. I'll be taking CPR training (EMS 171) concurrently with EMS 100. I have no background in anotomy (zero) and I know very little of what awaits me regarding everything associated with EMS. My dad was a ER doctor and I think he might have passed down a need to help people directly because this is, for now, what I want to do with my life.

In short I'm excited and eager to do well in my studies. I'm not sure if a BA in English (it should be a BA in socializing) has prepared me for anything that awaits. I do know, however, that pursuing that degree has given me growth in many areas.

If you could please respond to me on the best route to prepare for classes I would really appreciate it.

-Chall09

ericg533

Forum Probie
EMT-B basic in Wisconsin is a walk in the park for a college student. When I took it, I didn't study at all, got an A in the class, and passed the NREMT and practical on the first attempt. It will probably be similar wherever you are.

OP
OP
C

Chall09

Forum Probie
I was no perfect student in college Ericg533. I fell in love with the student life (Football, basketball, parties lol) but still managed to get A's, B's, C's with the help of alot of people. I was like this in college I think mostly because I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to become of me. I still don't, in fact. I knew helping people was the goal but the area has alluded me for a while. Thanks for responding so quickly thought man!

medic417

The Truth Provider
Do not stop with basic. Get A&P, biology, etc. Go immediately to Paramedic so you don't learn bad habits and also so you can do more than drive patients to the hospital. Basic is not medical education, it is first aid training.

ericg533

Forum Probie
I was no perfect student in college Ericg533. I fell in love with the student life (Football, basketball, parties lol) but still managed to get A's, B's, C's with the help of alot of people. I was like this in college I think mostly because I didn't have a clear idea of what I wanted to become of me. I still don't, in fact. I knew helping people was the goal but the area has alluded me for a while. Thanks for responding so quickly thought man!

I can tell by the way you write that you're a smart guy. You'll do fine. B)

Do not stop with basic. Get A&P, biology, etc. Go immediately to Paramedic so you don't learn bad habits and also so you can do more than drive patients to the hospital. Basic is not medical education, it is first aid training.

I completely agree with that. Basic is just glorified first aid.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
Don't worry about a single thing. You already have proven you have an ability to obtain an education. The EMT-B class is not difficult. Some states even offer it as a vo-tech program for 15 and 16 year old high school kids when they can't seem to find their groove in traditional high school courses. You'll need to know very little anatomy at that level and zero physiology.

The best advice has already been offered. Take A&P I and II, micro, chemistry. Most of the other course, including some college level math has probably already be included in your other degree. Sounds like you need some sciences and you're set.

I went the exact opposite direction. I went through college for paramedic and when I was finished decided that wasn't want I wanted. I'm studying history now. You have it better than I do since all the English and other humanities can be and often are applied to a good paramedic degree. My two semesters of science are worthless.

I expect you will be able to do something a lot of paramedics I work with can't do... produce some beautifully written, grammatically correct patient care reports. Good luck.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
"If you could please respond to me on the best route to prepare for classes I would really appreciate it."

The school should have a list of things you either need or are recommended.
Just look clean, neat and prepared to learn.....just like in all of your other courses. Except for the neat part. :rolleyes: