Star of Life / EMS clothing when off duty... Tacky or just being proud?

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
I'm down with discrete displays because EMS is as much a lifestyle as it is a job and influences will creep into life off the clock just as life will creep into the job on the clock.

But then I find extravagant display of anything off-putting, whackers being no exception.

OP
OP
C

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
What I'm sensing as a common theme is that there is a very fine line between socially acceptable and ignorant, as the said line is viewed as a direct gauge of intention. If you're explicitly looking for recognition, respect, and commendations whilst off duty, you've cross the line by a wide margin. If you're proud of what you do regardless of what other people think, you're likely in the socially acceptable zone. That said, the same would go for any profession. (Everything from Subway Sandwich Artist to Supreme Court Judge.) I would also argue that the line varies depending on jurisdiction, as it is directly related to the public's perception of the EMS profession in general.

I do have to disagree with some of the statements made here along the lines of "I am not my job". Most people spend a very significant part of their lives at their job, second only to sleep, and vastly more than they spend on other hobbies or interests that are widely accepted as defining an individual. To discount something that takes up a third of your time on a daily basis as "not part of who I am" is ignorant of the effects what we do has on us. This may have a lesser impact on people who don't view EMS as a career, but you can't ignore that you are the sum of your parts - employment included. ;)

R3cov3yOne

Forum Ride Along
I am torn on this topic. Why?

Because as many have said, having some pride in what you do and letting it show (albeit tastefully) is something that is human nature.
Regardless of what people might say, there is nothing wrong with seeking recognition for what you have done/do.

That being said nothing annoys me more than the people who sit around all day in a support capacity and then expect to get front line recognition.

Or the serial "Christ on the cross" complex.

(the catholic in me just cringed)

Glucatron

Forum Crew Member
Not quite sure.

I'm still pretty new to EMS. I have 5 months of experience so far. I have struggled with this question myself, mainly because I do feel pride to be apart of EMS and to spread awareness that we are not just "ambulance drivers" and that we do play an important role in emergency medicine. However, I cringe when I see the shirts or sweaters with the whole martyr complex or to imply that my job is superior. I've wanted to put an NREMT patch on a sweater or just wear a shirt with the words "EMT-B", "NREMT-B" or even just the star of life on it. To me, simple is better. I feel like something in that realm wouldn't be boastful but would portray your pride and represent EMS as a whole in a positive light.

waaaemt

Forum Lieutenant
sometimes i like wearing my job sweater with the patches and stuff...juuuuuust in case i get pulled over... (it's worked before)

BeachMedic

Forum Lieutenant
One time at a local bar, on a busy weekend night, I saw a guy who had sewn his NREMTb patch in to the front of his leather jacket. Once I got hammered enough I made sure my friends knew the guy on the dancefloor definitely did not work on a rig.

Or how about the guys who use uniforms as Halloween costumes? Lol

CritterNurse

Forum Captain

:blush: I did something like that once, while I was a vet. tech. student and on a tight budget. I put a simple bandage on one of my pet rats, dressed up in a pair of scrubs, put my stethoscope around my neck, had my nametag on, as well as a thermometer in my breast pocket. I answered the door with my fur-kid to hand out halloween candy.:blush:

I have worked my pet rats into other costumes as well. The year before last, I dressed up as a witch (black graduation gown, cheap witches hat from the dollar store, took the 'gold' cord from being an honor student and wrapped it around the pointy part of the hat) and answered the door with one of my rats on my shoulder. The same rat that is in my avatar. When anyone would ask about him, I'd tell them he wasn't a rat, he was the last kid who tried to egg the house.:p

xrsm002

Forum Captain
I wear some own 6, of these shirts you described because I am proud of what I do, not to feel superior or "buff". Now I don't wear them all the time. I have one that is a 9/11 EMS memorial shirt. I maybe wear them once a month, but not all the time.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
One time at a local bar, on a busy weekend night, I saw a guy who had sewn his NREMTb patch in to the front of his leather jacket. Once I got hammered enough I made sure my friends knew the guy on the dancefloor definitely did not work on a rig.

Can't say I have ever seen or heard of anyone getting into a barfight over impersonating an EMT. Cop/firefighter, all the time.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I have a fair share of them. Most are FD t-shirts I've been given by friends that work at those departments.

Have way too many work T-shirts. They get worn for one reason and one reason only. Work.

I wear them as pajamas, around the house, doing yardwork or as undershirts. Have a few I'll wear out and about though.

To each their own, the problem is when you see people acting like a total ****** in agency specific clothing. It reflects badly on that agency.

I'd also rather not let everyone know I'm a Paramedic on the off chance I walk up on something while off duty in the gas station or supermarket or where ever it may be. I have plenty of pride in my career. With that said, work is work and off time is off time. two completely separate things. I've got an EMS tattoo on my left bicep. It's pretty hidden. It's not trashy. It's part of my life. I've also got a giant angry snowman chasing a bunch of little snowmen as a sleeve on my leg... all parts of my life :rofl:

xrsm002

Forum Captain
When I wear shirts off duty I will not go into a bar/drink or do anything that would have a negative impact on our profession.

xrsm002

Forum Captain
:blush: I did something like that once, while I was a vet. tech. student and on a tight budget. I put a simple bandage on one of my pet rats, dressed up in a pair of scrubs, put my stethoscope around my neck, had my nametag on, as well as a thermometer in my breast pocket. I answered the door with my fur-kid to hand out halloween candy.:blush:

I have worked my pet rats into other costumes as well. The year before last, I dressed up as a witch (black graduation gown, cheap witches hat from the dollar store, took the 'gold' cord from being an honor student and wrapped it around the pointy part of the hat) and answered the door with one of my rats on my shoulder. The same rat that is in my avatar. When anyone would ask about him, I'd tell them he wasn't a rat, he was the last kid who tried to egg the house.:p

My wife is a vet tech

gw812

Forum Crew Member
Only think EMS'sy I'll wear are the EMT pants I had to get for school. Feckin' comfy. I get no style points, tho, and I'm okay with that. Had to spend the money, anyway, gonna get use out of them!

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Only think EMS'sy I'll wear are the EMT pants I had to get for school. Feckin' comfy. I get no style points, tho, and I'm okay with that. Had to spend the money, anyway, gonna get use out of them!

Dude... I love my BDUs. My gf always tells me to wear something else so I don't look like an EMT :p