sport for fitness

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Gym (powerlifting), swimming for cardio.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Badminton. Nothing gets the heart rate going like beating a shuttlecock into submission.

ChewyEMS13

Forum Crew Member
Let me ask a question from all of you what do you think which sport is best for gaining body health and fitness..??
I think swimming and football are best. Please share your experience.

I'm new to EMS, but I was an athlete in HighSchool. By far the best strength and conditioning workout I've ever done that also helped relieved stress and was just down-and-dirty fun was by far Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. There are gyms all over the United States that are very welcoming to newcomers. There's nothing like combining physical stress, mental release, self-defense, and having fun all in a 1 and a half hour class

*sorry for the late post*

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm new to EMS, but I was an athlete in HighSchool. By far the best strength and conditioning workout I've ever done that also helped relieved stress and was just down-and-dirty fun was by far Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. There are gyms all over the United States that are very welcoming to newcomers. There's nothing like combining physical stress, mental release, self-defense, and having fun all in a 1 and a half hour class

*sorry for the late post*

Saw this in the "new posts" tab and was like ooo I'll make a plug for BJJ. Guess I didn't have to though! I've been at it for ~3 years now. Great for strength training and self defense, and I haven't ever had a serious injury from it - just tap early and don't spazz out!

ChewyEMS13

Forum Crew Member
Saw this in the "new posts" tab and was like ooo I'll make a plug for BJJ. Guess I didn't have to though! I've been at it for ~3 years now. Great for strength training and self defense, and I haven't ever had a serious injury from it - just tap early and don't spazz out!

Honestly, it's my personal favorite. I have people at my gym who have actually safely recovered from injuries situationally rolling whereas someone who might favor the gym could possibly be out for a few weeks!

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Weight training is the most effective way to become or stay fit.

No other single activity does more to improve every dimension of fitness than working to increase the weights you cane handle in the squat, deadlift, and press.

ChewyEMS13

Forum Crew Member
Weight training is the most effective way to become or stay fit.

No other single activity does more to improve every dimension of fitness than working to increase the weights you cane handle in the squat, deadlift, and press.

Yeah, I can agree with that. I do go to the gym. It's very effective. I'm just saying that for me, personally, I like the fun of rolling in BJJ. It helps motivate to go, yknow

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I could never motivate myself to go to the gym and lift... Started doing BJJ and what do you know, now I'm lifting so I can be better at that! Nothing quite as motivating as a 220lb dude trying to tear your head off.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Yeah, I can agree with that. I do go to the gym. It's very effective. I'm just saying that for me, personally, I like the fun of rolling in BJJ. It helps motivate to go, yknow
I would agree 100% that the best exercise is the one you enjoy and can stick with and work hard at consistently.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I was on a 5x5 powerlifting regiment for a few years, on & off. Finally transitioned to F/T swimming, and couldn’t be happier. From personal experience with free weights - injuries are unavoidable, no matter how closely you watch your form. Once you hit a certain weight, all it takes is a tiny wiggle & you end up with a sore back.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Once you hit a certain weight, all it takes is a tiny wiggle & you end up with a sore back.

But you gotta get them gains brother!

marian

Forum Crew Member
I've done a bunch of different sports competitively and I was the most fit (in terms of lowest body fat percentage, highest muscle mass, highest lactate threshold, etc.) when I was rowing. But I've also swum, played water polo, raced my bike, and trained Brazilian jiu jitsu competitively.

My life when I was rowing competitively was very streamlined so getting time on the water, on the erg, and in the weight room was really just plug-n-play which is likely one of the reasons why I was able to get so fit. Although, if you look at statistics for rowers, they often have some of the highest VO2 maxes, lactate thresholds, gross watt output, and watts/kg when compared to elite athletes from all sports.

I mostly ride my bike (non-competitively) and train jiu jitsu now. I'm a blue belt and I've been training BJJ for several years at a competitive academy. For the amount of time I put in, I'm content with what I get out. Jiu jitsu has been great in that it's different from racing sports but kind of a drag because I need to be in a class, have partners to train, mat space, etc. The nice thing about a bicycle is that I can take my bike out whenever, don't need a partner, etc.

TheScientist

Forum Probie
Love soccer... but I'm a goalkeeper so I need to do other things for cardio :D

Running and cycling, especially when it's part of your daily routine, like cycling to work

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I love rowing. Also, if you have access to it, rock climbing is a great sport that works most of the body in a very natural way.
Competitive rowing is the best. Full body cardio. There are literally (and I do mean literally) 6-7 minutes of my life I don't remember while racing. I even knew a guy who passed out while rowing. I miss the pain and suffering.