Spinal Immobilization on Trampoline

torems

Forum Ride Along
EMR/First Aid Lead at a trampoline park and wondering what procedures others would take in the following (god forbid) situation.

For a suspected spinal on an unstable surface such as a foam pit or trampoline, where nearing the patient would cause a lot of motion (and reaching them from the floor is not possible), what would be the best plan of action to begin spinal immobilization?

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Practice regularly. Before or after hours. Then while you're open, practice. Get someone to be the patient and have them "crash" and see what you have to do.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
EMR/First Aid Lead at a trampoline park and wondering what procedures others would take in the following (god forbid) situation.

For a suspected spinal on an unstable surface such as a foam pit or trampoline, where nearing the patient would cause a lot of motion (and reaching them from the floor is not possible), what would be the best plan of action to begin spinal immobilization?
Trampolines are really easy. just walk slowly slowly.

Foam pits are not as easy, however as the link provided, practice before it happens. If it was me, I would say treat it as trench rescue, and get the TRT team to come out and play. use trench panels to cover the foam blocks, so you have a solid working surface to walk on (the Raleigh firefighters used the big blue gym mats), and if you really want the rescue crews to have an orgasm, let them build an elevated anchor point, set up a 4:1 double pulley system haul system, and lift up the patient, once the KED has been successfully applied.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Foam pits are not as easy, however as the link provided, practice before it happens. If it was me, I would say treat it as trench rescue, and get the TRT team to come out and play. use trench panels to cover the foam blocks, so you have a solid working surface to walk on (the Raleigh firefighters used the big blue gym mats), and if you really want the rescue crews to have an orgasm, let them build an elevated anchor point, set up a 4:1 double pulley system haul system, and lift up the patient, once the KED has been successfully applied.
Sounds like something TwitchCon should practice after what happened recently

RsqCrack

Bandwidth Binge

That's the way to do it. The idea is to minimize the potential for additional damage to the patient, not simply "get them to the hospital" or "out of there".

Boards on foam chunks are like skyscrapers on fill dirt, the foundation is anything but stable and the result can be disastrous. Gym mats are a better idea - broader and better weight distribution, but still runs the risk of collapse and slippage.

I'd suggest a sit and scoot on a trampoline.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'd suggest a sit and scoot on a trampoline.
Are you referring to the provider or the patient doing a sit & scoot? Also, the equipment you have on hand may also dictate the method by which the patient is extricated.

RsqCrack

Bandwidth Binge
Are you referring to the provider or the patient doing a sit & scoot? Also, the equipment you have on hand may also dictate the method by which the patient is extricated.
I'm suggesting the patient he wants to put in SMR move himself to the provider, what could go wrong?

And that part of things where you request additional resources....