spider straps

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
2" tape brings back memories, I knew of emt's who would put it across drunk drivers and less than cooperative peoples eyebrows to secure them to the board. Worked great until you got to the E.R. :wacko: I guess I started in less than enlightened times. Then again I heard recently of an EMT who transported someone sandwiched between backboards.

As for the belt buckle straps in addition to the criss-cross I used to like to figure 8 the bottom strap around the feet. Worked great for securing someone to go down stairs.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
2" tape brings back memories, I knew of emt's who would put it across drunk drivers and less than cooperative peoples eyebrows to secure them to the board. Worked great until you got to the E.R. :wacko: I guess I started in less than enlightened times. Then again I heard recently of an EMT who transported someone sandwiched between backboards.

As for the belt buckle straps in addition to the criss-cross I used to like to figure 8 the bottom strap around the feet. Worked great for securing someone to go down stairs.

Seen that done a time or ten! :) as for the sandwiching between backboards...oh my goodness! haha would love to see a picture of that.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Seen that done a time or ten! :) as for the sandwiching between backboards...oh my goodness! haha would love to see a picture of that.

I really hope you don't mean the tape. OUCH!;)

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I find Spider Straps OK to work with, as long as they're put away neatly. I despise (with great passion) the ball of velcro hell that they can become though... My preference is for 12' straps though. There are so many ways to thread those that you can really secure someone to a LSB so that there's no movement up, down, or sideways no matter how you turn or hoist the packaged patient... However, I'm pretty comfortable with all the typical methods of strapping patients to a board.

I've seen the LSB sandwich... not a good idea.

As to using 2" tape... I love to work with 2" Zonas...

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
I really hope you don't mean the tape. OUCH!;)

Haha...yes I was actually talking about the tape...and its usually drunk people. I always try to be nice & fold the tape to keep it from sticking, but others...well I'm not going to go there...

EMTStudentwa

Forum Probie
HAHA, we just started trauma, splinting and back boarding in my class and I didn't even think to try folding the tape in the middle to make it easier on the patient. But as far as straps go, we use the clip and buckle straps for backboarding. Most of the counties around here are moving away from spider straps

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I like the seatbelt straps.. there a lot easier to get on the patient and in time critical patients i dont want to be wasting time putting the spider straps on...