South Carolina EMS?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Funny, I have never had the problem here! May be the quality of the hires. The state is screwed up in EMS it's self. Since we are the largest system in the state, we get a little more control of it. Decent wages, good bennifits, treated right, no forced OT ever, unless you count the rare late call.

I am sure some have had bad experiences in any state or county you can think of. Does not mean all will. I have worked in 16 different states and have a very good feel of how it is done in different parts of the country. I will take the Southern "at will" states any day! Thank you very much.

You must research any system you plan on working for. it is your choice and no one elses. I never work for a system I do not want to. That is what is great about choice!

You claim that a benefit of "at will" is that you have a choice of taking a job, as well as being to leave said job whenever you want. Unless you're enlisted in the military, or required to work for a predetermined amount of time as a condition of the employer paying your way through school, you can pretty much seperate from any job that you want whenever you want, union or otherwise. "At will" bears no difference there.

Explain to me how an employee actually benefits from being "at will" as opposed to having a union with collective bargaining. I'm not seeing how having no protection from management, allowing favoritism and the good ole boy promotional system, not being to negotiate a fair labor contract, requiring management to entertain and correct employee complaints, or having a proper grievance system in place is an advantage or otherwise desireable for the employee.

When you're a full time "at will" employee, you're basically "owned" by the agency/company. They say jump, you enthusiastically shout "How high?!"

Some employers may actually opt to treat their employees well, for performance and retention purposes. You're still alone, however, if any issues arise with the agency.

You say that you've worked in 16 states. are you a gypsy medic? You know, hang around until something goes wrong or you get a bad rep, then go somewhere else where no one knows you? It sounds like you don't stay in any one place to long.

Your current EMS agency is larger than Charleston County EMS?

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
You claim that a benefit of "at will" is that you have a choice of taking a job, as well as being to leave said job whenever you want. Unless you're enlisted in the military, or required to work for a predetermined amount of time as a condition of the employer paying your way through school, you can pretty much separate from any job that you want whenever you want, union or otherwise. "At will" bears no difference there.

Explain to me how an employee actually benefits from being "at will" as opposed to having a union with collective bargaining. I'm not seeing how having no protection from management, allowing favoritism and the good ole boy promotional system, not being to negotiate a fair labor contract, requiring management to entertain and correct employee complaints, or having a proper grievance system in place is an advantage or otherwise desirable for the employee.

When you're a full time "at will" employee, you're basically "owned" by the agency/company. They say jump, you enthusiastically shout "How high?!"

Some employers may actually opt to treat their employees well, for performance and retention purposes. You're still alone, however, if any issues arise with the agency.

You say that you've worked in 16 states. are you a gypsy medic? You know, hang around until something goes wrong or you get a bad rep, then go somewhere else where no one knows you? It sounds like you don't stay in any one place to long.

Your current EMS agency is larger than Charleston County EMS?

Let's see if you can get this. I never said that an "at will" state is any better. I stated that I would choose them over other states, especially a union state.

Yes, I have worked in a lot of states. Some at the same time. I have been doing this a long time and I like to experience different types of systems and learn from each one. I do not give advice from limited knowledge or experience.

Yes, my system is much larger then CCEMS. CCEMS is small compared to some in the state. They are a busy system, but smaller.

A lot of people are not cut out to work fast paced systems. They cannot handle the stresses or the demands of a fast paced system. That does not mean that the next person will not enjoy working there. Turn over rates are always higher in a busy system. Not because of the working environment or bad management. But, because some come there and can not handle it. Our turn over rate is 1-3 employees every few months. That is not bad when you have over 300 employees on staff. Some come in, learn they do not like running calls and move to slower paced systems.

OP
OP
M

Medicnextdoor

Forum Probie
Update

I don't get much time to read stuff on the computer (blogs I guess this is) but I had some time and thought I would update you.

Been here for a while and it is great! We work both 12 and 24 but most of us prefer 12 hour. I know alot of the older guys like 24 but we have a life....24 is too long to spend at work and I think it's dangerous to have us driving around on our 23rd hour.

Anyhow, we had a great picnic on a lake sponsored by the department. Swimming, horseback riding, the works! Two months ago, we asked if we could change some of the busier 24 hour shifts to 12. The big boss said he would have to budget for it and needed numbers so we are doing a study on it now. He didn't tell us to shut up or sit down. He's a pretty easy guy to talk to. Most of the supervisors I have listen and help us when we need help.

Overall, it's been positive. We do have a standby calendar but we only have two days a month to plan for. They have had some serious budget cuts but we haven't noticed them. Patient care is stll top notch and the equipment is still great.

We have a GREAT relationship with the fire departments here. No battles over who does what. Thats great! Everyone here is about the patient.

I've read a few of the posts (didn't know there was more than one page) and I would have to agree with some. Turnover here is around 12% but if you look around the country, thats the norm. Some are lower, some are higher. I've met a few people here who aren't cut out for busy EMS. I get that. MUSC is a good place for them. Not much pressure (but not much medicine either). It's nothing to be ashamed of. Emergency work is hard. Some can't do it. Thats ok.

I appreciate your view into it. I've learned that everyone has a personal look at stuff and sometimes, it's a personal idea that shades stuff wrong. Your problem sounded like you didn't like 12 hour shifts or being held over. ok, I get that. But alot of us here now like 12s so we're asking the boss to look at it too and he is. we'll see what happens.

Merry Christmas!