South African ALS qualification: Reciprocity ??

Ian Philbrick

Forum Probie
I am a Paramedic in South Africa. Does any reciprocity exist for registering my qualification in the US.

Will I have to undergo some sort of evaluation? If so what, and can you give me some contacts etc.

From what I have read it seems strange that there is no National Curriculum and Registration process in the US. In SA we have one Statuatory Body that we register with. They determine our protocols, CPD and accredit colleges for training. Once you are qualified and registered, you can go and work anywhere in the country. See www.hpcsa.co.za if you are interested.

I studied for 3 years doing a National Diploma at a Technikon (now called University of Technology). We seem to have quite a wide scope of practice compared to what I percieve you in have in the US.

Regards,

IAN

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Unfortunately, we might have started progressive EMS but we dropped the ball, many years ago. We much rather run on pride and ability to pat ourselves on the back than progress here. Our systems are antiquated and fragmented... basically a mess!

Now, to answer your question, I would look into what state and area you are focusing into. Each state and even some local municipalities have certain requirements.. again, everyone wants to rule their own. To find out their specific requirements.

Next, I would contact National Registry of EMT's. They are more our "certifying" body in about 42 states or at least states allow reprocicity to take their state examination. Here is a link: www.nremt.org and talk to them personally. I am sure you are well qualified, after talking to other S. Africa medics.

I will forewarn you, we do not have a national scope of practice. We operate basically upon each local protocol and directions. There are a few states that have a "statewide protocol" but that is a minority. So even a community may have 3 operating EMS with different treatment and regimes. So yes, it can be confusing.

I wish you luck and welcome to the site...

R/r 911

OP
OP
Ian Philbrick

Ian Philbrick

Forum Probie
ALS Reciprocity

Thanks for the info.

Personally, I would be very worried citizen if 3 different EMS systems all ran on different protocols within in a small geographic area.

Its like two kitchens in your house: you don't know where your next meal is coming from;)

IAN

OP
OP
Ian Philbrick

Ian Philbrick

Forum Probie
NREMT website

OK,

Went onto NREMT website, but no contacts information. Does anyone have an email address for them?

Thanks

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well, I just wished it was only three. The county next to mine has 5 EMS services within the rural small area. All have different levels and provide different type of care. There are large metro cities that have multiple providers delivering anything from BLS to in-depth ALS care. Yes... frightening! More so frightening that many communities, much rather keep tradition than to provide advance care to their citizens.

As I described it is usually all dependent upon the protocol and involvement of the local Medical Director (physician). It may include RSI, central lines to having to make contact before initiating an IV. Again, all dependent on what that physician and service feels comfortable with.

We attempted a "National Scope of Practice" and was basically beaten down by many states with a large percentage of volunteer services. They felt it would require them to change and upgrade so much they could compete and provide the care required. With requiring minimal education levels.

Unfortunately, instead of centralizing and condensing, we much rather have substitute levels instead of the real thing. As usual there is always an excuse of having the real thing albeit they spend as much money on developing criteria, testing and certifying instead of doing it right.

Last article I read described we had at least 146 acronym or accepted EMT levels. So many, even those like me that are actively involved cannot recognize all of them. Fortunately, many states are recognizing the need of true education and investigating the associate degree level (2-2 1/2 yr) level for Paramedic. Right now, many only require the National Curriculum that can be achieved in some academy style programs in less than a month and a half. Yes, scary.. but; unfortunately there are many out there that rather "get through a program" than really absorb and learn, including clinical exposures. Most as of yet, have not comprehended the need and difference between training and education. Alas, there are some of us that do .... and are attempting to change things.. slowly but with time will.

So it is easy to be confused with our multiple levels and as well fragmented educational values. That is why, I do not pa attention to what level they say they are. Paramedic may mean the very basic ALS to comprehensive care.
Not like our neighbors of the North (Canada) that appeared to understand the need and defined their scope as well.

Maybe, with the decreasing levels of volunteerism, increasing demand for ALS in communities, we will see an increase in our education level as well. Hopefully, this will increase the professional benefits for providers as well in pay and long term benefits.

I hope I do not come across disgruntled, that it is not the case. Rather, I am more disappointed that our own professionals do not seek to better the cause. As an old EMS veteran, I have fought and continue to increase better care to our citizens and patients.

Again, welcome and feel free to discuss and ask any questions. We have some outstanding members on this site, from multiple areas.

R/r 911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I do not know of a certain email account for NREMT. I would give them a call and describe your situation and see who they refer you to and get their email address.

Good luck!
R/r 911

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the info.

Personally, I would be very worried citizen if 3 different EMS systems all ran on different protocols within in a small geographic area.

Its like two kitchens in your house: you don't know where your next meal is coming from;)

IAN

Each EMS system is suited for the environment however. Here in Massachusetts, we have rural areas, urban areas, and everything in between. All are vastly different although not far from each other.

Rangat

Forum Lieutenant
Ian what the hell? why are you leaving? you wont be able to practise half the things you can do here and you will be sued for small crappy things and stuff...

We allready have so little, especially in your province.