SOP for Child Birth

Sasha

Forum Chief
What are you going to cut the umbilical with and where are you going to keep the placentia?

chew through it with my teeth, and in my pocket.

OP
OP
J

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I would just dice it up and let the mom eat it. Lots of vitamins!

Aren't you supposed to fry it or something. One of my instructors (the British one) indicated that they still did that over there.

In all seriousness, if I were to come upon a woman in labor and there were no other qualified people to help, I would make sure someone had called 911 already, and then help as best I could until EMS got there. Just knowing that she had a qualified caregiver there could mean the world to her, and all of you know that the risk of catching anything from that one exposure is slim to nil. Coming upon an emergency off duty is probably only going to happen to any of us a few times in our lives if that, and it is sad to think that a 0.0001 chance of catching something from the patient would keep anyone from helping...

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Aren't you supposed to fry it or something. One of my instructors (the British one) indicated that they still did that over there.

In all seriousness, if I were to come upon a woman in labor and there were no other qualified people to help, I would make sure someone had called 911 already, and then help as best I could until EMS got there. Just knowing that she had a qualified caregiver there could mean the world to her, and all of you know that the risk of catching anything from that one exposure is slim to nil. Coming upon an emergency off duty is probably only going to happen to any of us a few times in our lives if that, and it is sad to think that a 0.0001 chance of catching something from the patient would keep anyone from helping...

People Who Know recommend they eat it raw, so the hormones are all intact.

I would help, too. But while I would not plan to assist at a homebirth, I'd be thrilled to assist at any birth, any time.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
People Who Know recommend they eat it raw, so the hormones are all intact.

I've also heard of having it freeze-dried, ground up, and encapsulated in pill form. Some save a few placenta pills for when the child goes through puberty (supposed to be helpful somehow).

I've also heard of burying it near a corner of the house to ward off evil spirits.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I've also heard of having it freeze-dried, ground up, and encapsulated in pill form. Some save a few placenta pills for when the child goes through puberty (supposed to be helpful somehow).

I've also heard of burying it near a corner of the house to ward off evil spirits.

My midwife had us double bag it and keep it in the freezer just in case.

Then the power went out, we had a massive freezer thaw, and I tossed it. But I felt a little guilty.

It is interesting how most mammals eat the placenta, but not interesting enough that I really think humans should.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
To be honest

Nothing scares me more in the future then being at a childbirth- i'd much rather see a MCI with traumas up the wazoo, then have to be a catcher for a baby :ph34r:
Following this thread closely, as you might imagine :p

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
So if you are transporting a pregnant woman by helicopter, do you have to pull over if she goes into labor?

:lol:

If birth is imminent, she should never be loaded into a helicopter.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
:lol:

If birth is imminent, she should never be loaded into a helicopter.

49727185.jpg

I don't know what you're talking about. Looks like a great place to deliver to me. You can squeeze in and get down there right?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
i'd much rather see a MCI with traumas up the wazoo, then have to be a catcher for a baby :ph34r:

You'd rather see suffering, seriously injured people who may die than a positive, generally happy event that usually goes perfectly fine with no harm done to anyone?

Seriously people, I get that some of the "eek" factor of the childbirth is fear of the unknown as it's not a common call and dramatic, but a lot of it is the "cooties" factor which is dumb and I expect a lot more of people who call themselves medical professionals.

I'm not saying every male medical student LOVES their OB-GYN rotation with our clinic, but they at least don't freak out about it like little school boys, and have a genuine interest in learning about the subject.

Not trying to throw you under the bus Trayos as you're definitely not the only one but I find it to be a very common and pretty irritating. It also has a lot to do with harmful cultural attitudes about women and sexuality... but that's a whole 'nother story.

Sasha

Forum Chief
To me eating the placenta borders on cannibalism. And momma didn't raise no cannibal.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
You'd rather see suffering, seriously injured people who may die than a positive, generally happy event that usually goes perfectly fine with no harm done to anyone?

Seriously people, I get that some of the "eek" factor of the childbirth is fear of the unknown as it's not a common call and dramatic, but a lot of it is the "cooties" factor which is dumb and I expect a lot more of people who call themselves medical professionals.

I'm not saying every male medical student LOVES their OB-GYN rotation with our clinic, but they at least don't freak out about it like little school boys, and have a genuine interest in learning about the subject.

Not trying to throw you under the bus Trayos as you're definitely not the only one but I find it to be a very common and pretty irritating. It also has a lot to do with harmful cultural attitudes about women and sexuality... but that's a whole 'nother story.

Good point. While the OB chapter was not my favorite, I at least learned what was in there. And I occasionally am partnered with a girl who is a midwife assistant so I have learned even more from her. Now it has gotten to the point that I can't wait to get an OB call. (just ask my partners. Lol) Right now there are only two guys on the service who have "played catcher" and only one did with the ambulance. (The other guy dileverd some of his own kids and a few as a firefighter with a department on the other side of the state.)

Bill, the guy who caught one in the ambulance, wears on his jumpsuit a little stork pin the family gave to him. I want one someday. Lol

medic417

The Truth Provider
Nothing scares me more in the future then being at a childbirth- i'd much rather see a MCI with traumas up the wazoo, then have to be a catcher for a baby :ph34r:
Following this thread closely, as you might imagine :p

Having delivered numerous babies in the ambulance and others in houses, hotels, cars, and even the hospital while waiting on the doctor, it is really no big deal except on the very rare occasion the wrong parts come out first.

Really makes me laugh at these medics or ff's that get in the news for catching a baby, like they are some hero, heck some cultures the women used to go out into the bushes by herself had the baby by herself then walked back.

My rule is I catch the critter that way my partner has to clean the ambulance. Really you do nothing but talk to mom and catch the slimy alien, clamp, cut, clean, dry, and continue to the hospital.