soon to take my NYS Paramedic exam!

crashh

Forum Crew Member
Hi guys, I'm about to take my NYS written exam in about a month or so, and I was wondering if anyone had some tips? There is so much to study, I'm having a hard time trying to prioritize it all.

I just passed my Practial on the 1st, and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, thank goodness! But I'm terrified of the written!

Any and all advice is appreciated!:D

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
Relax. New York State's written exam, after passing a paramedic class, should be easy.

It's divided into 2 sections: BLS, which is 75 questions, and ALS, which is 150 questions, with 10 trial questions that won't count towards your score scattered throughout. You won't know which ones they are, so don't skip any. Should be 235 total, unless things have changed. I've taken 5 NYS paramedic tests (one every three years).

Typically, the BLS section is actually harder than the ALS section, because the questions are often more ambiguous. The ALS section is often more straightforward. The rhythm strips are generally fairly easy. You'll likely have to do a little math, but nothing horrible. Likely some pharm questions, which again, are generally pretty straightforward.

Much of the ALS section will likely be BLS stuff. Know stuff like rule of 9s, basic A&P (abdominal organs), stuff like coup-contracoup head injuries, ipsilateral and contralateral pupillary response to head injuries. Oxygen delivery devices and their LPM. You know, all the stuff that you think about when running one of these calls :)rolleyes:)

Don't overthink. If you have to say stuff like "If this detail is true, which they didn't tell me, then it's this answer", then it's not the answer. Choose the most glaring answer. Generally your first answer is correct.

Seriously, the hardest part is over. Relax. You've passed the class to get to this point. You should be just fine.

What class did you take? Erie Community College (Buffalo) class of 1998 here.

PM me if you have any questions you want to ask in private.

OP
OP
C

crashh

Forum Crew Member
Thanks Farmer! I took it through EMSTAR in Elmira, NY...they go through Arnot Health. It was an accelerated 10 or 11 month course. I had to bust my *** since I was a basic only 4 months before this! :blink:

I love it tho! This girl is ready to get on with gettin on!:)

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Farmer is right. You'll do just fine.

I graduated from ECC-South in 1999.....grew up not far from Elmira.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
NY states exam is very easy and straight forward.