Some Input

Emtgirl21

Forum Lieutenant
I am wanting to put together a DWI program to do for high school aged kids. I found the Every 15 Minutes program but it requires a lot of resources. Does anyone else have any programs geared toward kids 15-19 that would make an impact.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
I actually want to do something like that for my senior project....i havn't done any research or anything but if u find out anything could u send me a link or anything? only if u have time don't worry if u can't....i'll post anything i find

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would suggest to modify such program. Unfortunately, many of these programs have became dead-ended; because of continues over use. Every year the same thing and after three years, all level of high school has seen a repeat performance and the program looses its luster.

Other programs such as "Drive Straight" etc.. was also popular.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
MADD has some good programs. My sons' high school did one that had a 'grim reaper' remove from class for a week, the number of kids that statistically will die from an MVA or substance abuse incident. Also you might look up the Trauma Nurses Talk Tough program.

The problem will be that a truly effective program may be fought tooth and nail by those in your community who will be offended by a clear definition of "Substance Abuse" presented to their children.

We had a program ended because by the time we got it acceptable to all the parents, community members who had gotten DUI's, or were busy enabling their substance abusing family members, it was totally ineffective.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
if you go to youtube and type in mock crashes it gives you some really cool videos with lots of gr8 ideas

RedZone

Forum Lieutenant
First, I am unaware of how DWI programs are presently organized. I have some sort of weird fetish with scientific research, so I would suggest trying to find a program that has been statistically correlated with reduced incidents of DWI.

Ok, ok... blah blah blah...

If I were to come up with my own program from scratch, I would consider this:

Assign students into small groups (4 to 6) and provide them with an assignment: Read local newspapers over a period of time, and cut out all articles related to DWI. Ask the groups to discuss these articles amongst themselves and to come up with their own opinions about DWI.

Offer some suggestions: Is DWI a major concern? Exactly who does DWI affect?
Do NOT lead! Do NOT offer your own opinions! Do NOT judge!
Try to comfort the students by explaining that their opinions will not be judged!

After the groups have formed their own opinions, assemble all the groups together. Ask each group to designate a spokesperson to discuss their opinions with the rest of the class/school/whatever.

As a teen, I was less interested in "The Man's" opinion, but EXTREMELY interested in my peers' opinions.

Bonus: Low Budget. Who could dare put up resistance?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There used to be a scared straight type program in which students were taken to the M.E. office and shown autopsies and bodies of D.O.A.'s of those involving drunk driving. I believe there are a few left, but do to "potential psychological problems", HIPPA, etc.. many of these programs have been dismissed. Which I believe that they probably were most effective.

There is a difference in between the fallible of being dead and that of the reality. Teenagers already have a sense of indestructibility among them and death is more of thought rather than any reality, their concept is totally altered. As Bill Cosby describes, they are "brain damaged" in which many do make horrible decisions, that might have life long consequences.

A good program has to be thought out way ahead, and have participation form all agencies to make it a success. We are attempting not just to warn of the dangers of drunk driving but the awareness of attempting to make more rationale decisions.

R/r 911