So, I hit a dog yesterday.

emtlady76877

Forum Crew Member
if it will make you feel better your not the only one thats has killed a dog.

I run on Monday nights with my husband as my driver a few years ago rpight in front of the house. There beatiful boardy coally ran in front the ambulance while we were on the way to the hospital. He felt so bad. Because We Know what it is like to lose a pet.

silvercat354726

Forum Lieutenant
I feel for you! Since everyone has shared their stories of animal vs. car I am going to share mine. I was on my way to base for a call in the middle of the night and I was making my way around a turn saw a "high butt" porcupine I didnt want to go into the other lane to avoid it bc I dont believe in that. So I drive an Expedition thinking I could just straddle the damn thing and be on with it. Well when I thought I had cleared the damn thing all of a sudden I hear thump thump under the car, I am guessing the thing decided to stretch and when it did it caught the underside of my car. I totally forgot about it for three days and than me and my family were going some place and my oldest was sitting in the front (no airbags) in his seat and my husband was so kind to point it out to him. I later told my husband about the incident. Two days later my son goes to school and tells his teacher (which is an animal lover) that "mommy killed a porcupine!" I didnt pick him up from school the rest of that week as I was embarrassed. So I think we have all had our mishaps with all different types of animals.

Last edited by a moderator:

katgrl2003

Forum Asst. Chief
I've hit a dog, a cat, multiple squirrels, and my partner hit a deer. I'm starting to feel like the animal angel of death.

-Kat

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
The worst was a fluffy white pink eyed bunny. I really felt bad.. but was running code to a CPR In progress call.

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
As far as moose vs. car/truck/vehicle, I will see if I can download the pics I got from a moose vs. GMC Sonoma last November. The truck was a total write off. The driver is lucky he wasn't decapitated (the moose, however, was). Driver was transported with severe facial lac (approx 6 cm), and a possible depression fracture of the frontal skull. I pulled on scene on my way to my shift. I was due on shift at 8 pm, and I came across this about 15 min east of my station at 7:30 pm. The moose was covered by snowfall 2 weeks later, and I saw it was still there this past May after all the snow had melted.

Hitting a moose at highway speed is about the same as hitting a stationary vehicle. We get calls for vehicle vs. moose all year round. we had 2 last week.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
When I hit a deer on the way to a callout, it was twitching and suffering, so I had to get out and make sure it died quickly.
That wouldn't be such a big deal for the rest of my team, but I'm a Buddhist and a vegetarian so grabbing Bambi and doing the Rambo thing was a bit off putting.
I was also the only EMT with my team that day.
Half the team teased me about not bringing them the meat, while the other half teased me about not providing medical assistance to the deer.