Sleeping on the job:how do you do it?

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
Look, I'm not down with anything that compromises pt care, so if the pt compartment is full of target bags from black Friday that's not cool. Neither is missing a response time cause you had the comforter pulled over your head.

Also, I'm not down with breaking policy, such as "no sleeping".

I fail to see the problem with napping, even napping comfortably with a pillow, in the absense of breaking policy or compromising pt care/response times.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm really not so sure it is apples and oranges, maybe oranges and tangerines. Every job has variations in things that are seen as permissible behavior. I've worked at places before where it wasn't possible to leave for lunch, and others were it was hit or miss. Things like listening to music/having the radio on, reading a book, watching TV or personal cell phone use are all things that are routinely done in EMS, but may not be common in other fields. We all know these things happen, and every person I have ever worked with has brought some sort of personal entertainment item.

Bringing those items to work may indicate an expectation, but at the same time we all know that there is always the chance you won't have any down time.

As for where you shop, I know my employer has a catch all "don't make us look bad" policy. A sex shop or liquor store would be violations of that even though they are not illegal. If you go into a normal store and act like a jackass it also applies. Along with any other rude/discourteous behavior. Beyond that my employer doesn't have any policies on what we can and can't do between calls as long as 1. We are within a certain distance of our assigned post, and 2. We respond promptly when called.

Last edited by a moderator: