Sleep Paralysis

Do you experience sleep paralysis?

• Yes, infrequently (less than twice a year)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Yes, frequently (more than two times a year)

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Yes, but it has been >1 year since my last episode

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • No, and I never have.

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Shortly after starting work in EMS with a company that works 24 hour shifts, I've been having issues with sleeping (waking, actually) that I've since learned is called sleep paralysis.

Upon some research, I've also learned that one of the possible causes of sleep paralysis invovles disruption of one's sleep schedule or circadian rhythm. This got me to thinking, how many of my fellow EMS workers have had episodes of sleep paralysis?

Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to REM atonia, the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. Sleep paralysis occurs either when falling asleep, or when awakening. When it occurs upon falling asleep, the person remains aware while the body shuts down for REM sleep, and it is called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis. When it occurs upon awakening, the person becomes aware before the REM cycle is complete, and it is called hypnopompic or postdormital. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes "by which the individual may experience panic symptoms". (described below) As the correlation with REM sleep suggests, the paralysis is not entirely complete; use of EOG traces shows that eye movement is still possible during such episodes. When there is an absence of narcolepsy, sleep paralysis is referred to as isolated sleep paralysis (ISP).

In addition, the paralysis may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger. Sleep paralysis is particularly frightening to the individual because of the vividness of such hallucinations.[8] The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful or dream-like objects may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Shortly after starting work in EMS with a company that works 24 hour shifts, I've been having issues with sleeping (waking, actually) that I've since learned is called sleep paralysis.

Upon some research, I've also learned that one of the possible causes of sleep paralysis invovles disruption of one's sleep schedule or circadian rhythm. This got me to thinking, how many of my fellow EMS workers have had episodes of sleep paralysis?

Had a partner who ran a whole code in his sleep, including CPR. Had to hide the keys from him after finding him in the drivers seat a couple of times trying to take off. We ran more calls while never leaving the station on some nights.

Don't let it get out of hand. Get to the cause and get some sleep.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
ive had it happen twice back in 2007 (non ems related) after my grandmother passed. not sure what the deal is but i looked researched just as you did.. freaky stuff. i no longer go to sleep laying on my back as a result because of my experience.

Indy

Forum Crew Member
I had sleep paralysis a few months ago. I was sleeping and all of a sudden an alarm starts going off in my head, somewhat like a fire alarm. As this was happening, I saw a darkened figure approach me. I couldn't move or yell. Definitely a terrifying expierience.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikie

Forum Lurker
Source??
Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to REM atonia, the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. Sleep paralysis occurs either when falling asleep, or when awakening. When it occurs upon falling asleep, the person remains aware while the body shuts down for REM sleep, and it is called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis. When it occurs upon awakening, the person becomes aware before the REM cycle is complete, and it is called hypnopompic or postdormital. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes "by which the individual may experience panic symptoms". (described below) As the correlation with REM sleep suggests, the paralysis is not entirely complete; use of EOG traces shows that eye movement is still possible during such episodes. When there is an absence of narcolepsy, sleep paralysis is referred to as isolated sleep paralysis (ISP).

In addition, the paralysis may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger. Sleep paralysis is particularly frightening to the individual because of the vividness of such hallucinations.[8] The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful or dream-like objects may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision.

OP
OP
adamjh3

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

Pulled from:
Linky

Sourced from the following:

6. a b Hersen, Turner & Beidel. (2007) Adult Psychopathology and Diagnosis. p. 380
7. Hearne, K. (1990) The Dream Machine: Lucid dreams and how to control them, p18. ISBN 0-85030-906-9
8. a b Hersen, Turner & Beidel. (2007) Adult Psychopathology and Diagnosis
9. Hersen Turner & Beidel. (2007) Adult Psychopathology and Diagnosis

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
Ive had em, and I hear like a banshee like scream and see a figure kinda like the girl from grudge... It really messes me up:sad:

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I would get these all the time while working the 24. I went back to twelves because of it. They would happen so frequently that I got pretty good at realizing what was going on and forcing myself to wake up.

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
I had sleep paralysis a few months ago. I was sleeping and all of a sudden an alarm starts going off in my head, somewhat like a fire alarm. As this was happening, I saw a darkened figure approach me. I couldn't move or yell. Definitely a terrifying expierience.

I've heard of this- it's called "Old Hag Syndrome" (I forget what culture named it that), because many years ago when there was no explanation, people would hallucinate and picture an elderly woman or man in the room, and often, since they were paralyzed, they would be sitting on the sufferer's chest. Freaky stuff.

EMS/LEO505

Forum Lieutenant
I just had an episode last night, but this time it seemed like I was drowning...I think what happened in real life is an asthma attack with cold sweats, Im just glad my girl friend woke me up when she did or who knows what woulda happened :/

Indy

Forum Crew Member
I've heard of this- it's called "Old Hag Syndrome" (I forget what culture named it that), because many years ago when there was no explanation, people would hallucinate and picture an elderly woman or man in the room, and often, since they were paralyzed, they would be sitting on the sufferer's chest. Freaky stuff.

Interesting...thanks for the info. However I didn't experience an elderly woman/man, it was a female child IIRC, it just stood and stared.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
Happens to me quite often actually...it only happened once that I can recall prior to my EMS career. After I began working EMS, I have them all the time. It had gotten to the point where I could only sleep 2-3 hours every night. I explained it to my doctor, and was prescribed Ambien, since I have began taking Ambien it has not happened at all. *knock on wood*

I would be awakened in the middle of a night having a panic attack, I was always thinking something bad had happened to my partner, or my husband (he is a sheriff's deputy)...this especially happened when he would call me at odd times of the morning when he was working night shift.

The odd thing about my cases was that it never happened when i was asleep at work, it always happened when I was at home.