Skills testing for employment

CombatCasualtyCare21

Forum Probie
I recently finished my NREMT-B and am attempting to start my career at a private service. I went to the interview fairly confident because I am constantly using my EMS knowledge for my current job, developing miniature Wireless Vital Signs Monitors and other patient assessment devices, anyway...

I passed the companys written exam and 3 of the 4 practicals however....the final patient scenario was an apneic 3 year old pedi (no signs of trauma) and regardless of my jaw thrust/headtilt, readjusting airway, visualizing the oral cavity (fingersweep) or inserting OPA or an NPA, my Paramedic evaluator refused to allow me an airway. I tried back blows chest compressions, everything for possible occlussion, attempted bagging, EVERYTHING in my scope of practice, but the evaluator still insisted that the patient was not breathing and no air could go into the lungs. Intubation is not in a Basics scope of practice.... Did I really just forget something, should I given him a nebulizer? or did he think he was testing a surgeon...I feel dumb...I know this stuff...

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I had a similar one once... evaluator just stared at me until I broke down and did back blows on the unconscious infant. When I tried to explain that back blows for unresponsive infants weren't in the current CPR recommendations she looked at me like I had four heads. I guess everyone has something they're looking for.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Call for ALS backup?

reaper

Working Bum
Did you call for ALS backup? Did you initiate transport? You may not be able to open the childs airway and need to get them to someone who can. They may have been looking at your clinical decision making skills. Not your treatment!

imurphy

Forum Captain
In 04 my NREMT Practical test was the same scenario, except on an adult choking.

The purpose of the test was I suppose to show that sometimes in the real world you just wont get an airway back. But once you do all the steps in your scope of practice, you should be fine, once you knew to call ALS who have more toys / skills to get it back.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Yeah, I think sometimes they like to sweat you a little.

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with reaper...sometimes they are looking for the simple answer even when human nature is searching for something else. I had an instructor lke that...constantly testing us with the obviouls.

Don't feel stupid. Next time you take their test rememner the basics, take a few deep breaths and reorientate yourself with the scenerio. Soemtimes a quick second or two to relax and take another look at the overall picture will show you the answer.

Good luck.