Shoulder gurney straps

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
If it’s documented, then it was done and is accepted as such. Prove I didn’t.
If it’s not, then you can argue it wasn’t done, easier to insert doubt.
“I always do it”. I can easily tank that in court. All I have to show is ONE TIME it wasn’t done, which isn’t hard.

Others have direct experience in court, you should read and heed.

Why are you arguing about something that should be best practice?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I believe you like to argue for the sake of arguing. I’m done with this.
gotcha, so I gave you a logical argument, which showed exactly where your logic failed, and clarified an incorrect statement you inferred that I said. If you want to walk away, that's cool. You're giving bad information, and yes, you got called out on it when you tried to do the same to me. Please don't give out information that isn't actually supported by facts.
Why are you arguing about something that should be best practice?
Because it's not? and there is no actual evidence or documented case that has been provided the actually shows otherwise?

If your agency requires you to put that you put 5 straps on the patient, do it. if your QA person says you need to do something on your chart, then do it, because he or she is speaking for your employer. You can put a lot of extra stuff in a chart that doesn't really help or hurt you, should you go to court, but if your employer says they want to see it, do what your employer says.

But don't buy into the urban legend that 1) if you don't document you secured the patient with 5 straps that the assumption is that you didn't, and 2) a perfectly written chart will not be picked apart by an attorney, because that attorney will find a way to make you look like an incompetent moron when called into court.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Ever been in Court? It ain’t “urban legend”. Your style of non documentation WILL make you look like an “incompetent moron”.

In over 30 years, I’ve YET to be made to look bad in court. Proper documentation, proper practice, proper procedures followed wins EVERY time.

I can’t speak for you.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I've never looked bad in court. Attornies have looked at my documentation, and have no issues. In fact, if your documentation is clear enough, you might not even need to go to court. Because it speaks for itself.

If you do the right thing, if you document what you need to document, and you follow the rules, you will be fine. stop fear-mongering, and stop saying you need to put in fluff or else you will lose a lawsuit. unless you can show an actual case where poor documentation resulted in a lawsuit (not poor clinical care, not an inappropriate action, not a crash with injuries), you are just fear-mongering.