Should nurses be required to complete ride alongs with FD

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes (I assume you mean admitted but still in ED) Yes, but in all fairness whether a nurse or medic has this patient an RT will handle vent work majority of the time if available. Yes, and Yes. How are we being used? We earn the same wage as the ED RN. What "prehospital immunity" are you referring to?

I will post statue as soon as I get home.

I really want to know what hospital does this. Do the RNs not have nursing levels for skills and pay grades? What is the point of spending 4 years in college if they can do the same stuff in 1 year? I guess that could be another discussion.

Once a patient is "admitted" to the ICU, an ICU qualified or cross trained RN will care for them. There is also much more than just the ventilator since ICU protocols will be initiated. RT is also not around in the ER except for vent set up and transport to other areas. But, having RT around does not excuse an RN from not having a competency on that ventilator. Anybody can turn a knob or babysit a ventilator but only those who have knowledge of the meds and the care of this type of patient should be caring for them. The same for an IABP or any other accessory or medication attached to the patient.

EMS immunity:
http://www.emsworld.com/article/10323938/immunity-statutes-how-state-laws-protect-ems-providers

There have been a couple places which have extended this immunity to ER staff in the hospital.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
I really want to know what hospital does this. Do the RNs not have nursing levels for skills and pay grades? What is the point of spending 4 years in college if they can do the same stuff in 1 year? I guess that could be another discussion.

Once a patient is "admitted" to the ICU, an ICU qualified or cross trained RN will care for them. There is also much more than just the ventilator since ICU protocols will be initiated. RT is also not around in the ER except for vent set up and transport to other areas. But, having RT around does not excuse an RN from not having a competency on that ventilator. Anybody can turn a knob or babysit a ventilator but only those who have knowledge of the meds and the care of this type of patient should be caring for them. The same for an IABP or any other accessory or medication attached to the patient.

EMS immunity:
http://www.emsworld.com/article/10323938/immunity-statutes-how-state-laws-protect-ems-providers

There have been a couple places which have extended this immunity to ER staff in the hospital.

Sorry. I will not be posting the name of the hospital I work in. Yes, there are pay levels, But they are based off of education and experience. So a brand new Associates degree RN makes the same as a brand new Associates degree Paramedic.

Things are not the same in every hospital as they are in your hospital. Just because your hospital does not have a dedicated RT does not mean others do not. ER and ICU have a dedicated RT each every shift. There is also an RT to cover the rest of the hospital/floors. ER RT is on call for OB/premies. They rotate through assignments. ER RNs and Medics all go through competencies on ICU specific equipment every quarter in case they have to "babysit" until patient gets moved up or transferred. IABPs are not placed in our ED setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry. I will not be posting the name of the hospital I work in. Yes, there are pay levels, But they are based off of education and experience. So a brand new Associates degree RN makes the same as a brand new Associates degree Paramedic.

I take your post to mean this hospital is not striving for Magnet status.

Our hospital has a few RTs but that does not excuse nursing personnel in the ER who want to care for ICU admit patients from taking the training as if they were working in the ICU.

Do Paramedics also work in the ICUs?

I am not trying to be antagonistic but, why spend 2 years in college to get a "prehospital" degree if you could get an ADN which is apparently still acceptable for new hires in your facility? Wouldn't it make more sense to get the RN if you want to work in the hospital and have more opportunities available when you get tired of the ER? You are doing the same job but the Paramedic will have less flexibility t/o the health care system.

We sometimes get LVADs and IABPs from transports to be parked until they are ready in the pre op room or ICU.

Last edited by a moderator:

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
I take your post to mean this hospital is not striving for Magnet status.

Our hospital has a few RTs but that does not excuse nursing personnel in the ER who want to care for ICU admit patients from taking the training as if they were working in the ICU.

Do Paramedics also work in the ICUs?

I am not trying to be antagonistic but, why spend 2 years in college to get a "prehospital" degree if you could get an ADN which is apparently still acceptable for new hires in your facility? Wouldn't it make more sense to get the RN if you want to work in the hospital and have more opportunities available when you get tired of the ER? You are doing the same job but the Paramedic will have less flexibility t/o the health care system.

We sometimes get LVADs and IABPs from transports to be parked until they are ready in the pre op room or ICU.

They are, but staffing needs can out weigh that. There are very good incentives for RNs and Medics to achieve a bachelors or higher. Less than associates medics are not hired. It would make sense to initially get your RN and have more opportunities and flexibility, I agree with you there 100%. Hindsight.

You are also correct, it does not excuse medics and nurses from ICU education and training, which is a mandate to keep up on.