Should I give EMS a go?

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
Long story short, I made a 911 call at 4:00 in the morning just over a year ago because my wife was having chest pain. I was ready to jump into the car and drive her to the ER myself because I thought EMTs were high-school dropouts that took blood pressure and raced to the hospital. I nearly pooped myself when I saw a medic and his EMT partner perform a detailed assessment, an EKG, and
administer nitroglycerin-- all in a caring, professional manner. From that moment, I wanted EMS as my career.

Problem: I had already signed up for a $1000 CNA course because I was originally shooting for nursing. And yes, it was the biggest ripoff of my life. I decided to daydream about being an EMT while I went through the CNA course and found work in a healthcare setting. I was thoroughly disgusted as our instructors skipped over procedures we were technically supposed to know. Our "labs"
included following CNA's around in nursing homes and giving baths, incontinent care, etc. It wasn't long before I realized that the scope of practice of a CNA was butt-wiping in this particular state, though the decades out-of-date skill checklist tried to convey otherwise.

Still, I carried on. I genuinely cared for these residents and wanted to have some experience dealing with consumers of healthcare. But between the never-ending labor, merciless nursing sub-culture, and toxic work environment, I was ready to call it quits when I found out that my application to work at the hospital had been accepted.

This was like a second Christmas. Let me explain-- here in this part of Maine, a CNA has two choices: nursing home and hospital. I know CNAs who have been trying to get into that hospital for five years. I was absolutely exstatic. And sure enough, it was a much better working environment.

Six weeks later, I was fired. CNA's usually have eight patients at a time, and I simply could not handle it. I am not much of a multitasker and this was beyond multitasking. I will say that this department did poorly in terms of supporting and precepting me in many regards, but the ultimate blame rests on me.

I was, and in many ways still am, crushed beyond what I can express. We (I'm married with two kids, including a 7-week old) were doing so well financially and I was happy to be able to provide for my family. After the hospital I made a living doing work in a strawberry field and stocking shelves in the grocery store across the street from the hospital. There have been times where my wife
and I had to sit down and make a budget in order to buy another pack of diapers. I felt like I had failed my family and myself.

Four months later, I'm feeling better about the whole situation. My co-workers at the grocery store are very supportive and friendly and I have unlearned some negative work habits that I picked up as a CNA. And of course, EMS has been in the back of my mind the entire time. I've tried considering a non-healthcare related career. Correction, I've tried FORCING myself to stop thinking about working in healthcare. But between reading this forum back-to-back, watching videos, reading BLS protocols, emailing the president of the local ambulance service with lots of questions... I can't get enough. I want this as a career.

A few problems. First, I was in email contact with the president of the ambulance service while I was becoming a CNA, and I met the man in person during hospital orientation. I am still ashamed of losing my job and don't think I can yet get back into contact, let alone survive a job interview after being fired by the same organization. I do not want to be affiliated with that hospital. I do not want to fight for a job amidst a brigade of new EMT-B's
with that "black mark" on my record. But I am willing to bite the bullet and give it a try.

There are several other ambulance services around, but they entail long commutes and unfamiliar towns. Besides, the local service has a great reputation and showed me what EMS really is. They are my first choice.

I'm a little concerned about burnout as I was burned out within two months of nursing home work. That's not an exaggeration.

And lastly, there is the ever-present fear that I am going to lose my job as a healthcare provider again.

I have delusions about being in the healthcare field. I know most of it involves the elderly and frequent fliers. I've seen a patient have a full-blown stroke before my very eyes, and it was neither glorious nor a moment for heroism. I've performed post-mortem care on several patients and residents for whom I cared deeply. I do not like to talk about it. It was not "fun" or "cool."

I want to go all the way to paramedic. I want to be the individual who responds to your own home in the wee hours of the morning to reassure and treat you. I don't want the glory-- I want to make an impact during a person's moment of greatest need. I know this rarely happens in EMS most of the time... but it happens.

Is EMS worth a shot for me? Or would I be wasting my time? I don't want to fail my family for a second time.

Yes, this is all completely true. And yes, I am only 20 years old...

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Quite honestly, I was guessing you were around 30 or so when I was reading that entire thing.

It seems to me that you genuinely want a career in EMS and that you want it for all the right reasons. If it's what you really want, then you need to go for it, don't take the risk of asking yourself "what if?" for the rest of your life. You're at a perfect age to start a new career and if you're set on EMS, then go for it; as long as you work hard and stay focused you'll do great. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Paramaybe

Forum Probie
No better time than the present. Plain and simple.
I will never divert someone from something they want.

EMS is far from glorious or heroic. You do it because you enjoy the job, and eventually most coworkers. The money sucks, the hours are tiring and you'll deal with frustration constantly. This is only the top of the iceberg, hostile scenes, angry relatives, the list goes on and on... but that one call where you positively make an impact makes it al worth it.

I've never regretted my decision to get into EMS, my only regret is not doing it sooner, but you will pay the proverbial price one way or another.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Take an EMT class, give it a shot. Save the sacrifice and dedication required to do Paramedic school for when you are a bit more sure you want this career.

Then again, I had no inclination to be a medic while going to EMT school, picked it up as a spur of the moment thing one day, and here I am.

Hockey

Quackers
I refused to be an EMT. Once I became an EMT, I refused to be a Paramedic. Now that I'm about 97% there, I refuse to go any further (RN etc)

Why not? You might actually like it? I refused to open my EMT book for the first 2 months since I had no interest.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I am not much of a multitasker and this was beyond multitasking

This jumped out at me....do you think we do not constantly multi task in EMS? This attitude needs to be revisited and this skill needs to be worked on...otherwise, stay out of EMS.

Two other comments...How old is your wife? Just curious since she got the NTG treatment and all...

Finally, at the age of 20 you stated you do not want to fail again. Guess what...you will fail again, many times over in your life...if you don't then you simply are not doing it right or ain't truly living.

I fail all the time, get right back up and try again. We all have families, responsibilities, etc but you have to go for it regardless.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I have delusions about being in the healthcare field. I know most of it involves the elderly and frequent fliers. I've seen a patient have a full-blown stroke before my very eyes, and it was neither glorious nor a moment for heroism. I've performed post-mortem care on several patients and residents for whom I cared deeply. I do not like to talk about it. It was not "fun" or "cool."

There is plenty in EMS that you do because it is fun or cool, but WAY more that you do because it is the right thing to do, and the satisfaction of doing a good job is what motivates you. (Or should ;)

Post mortem care is a good example of that. No one's watching, no one's feeling anything, but the respect and gentle attitude you carry while taking care of someone's last needs grow you as a person. There are many things in EMS that evoke that same attitude for me. A little old lady living alone, leaving her house for what may be the last time, really appreciates you turning off all the lights and making sure that the back door is locked. This is neither "fun" nor "cool" but it brings me so much satisfaction that I look for opportunities to do the mundane as well as the rest of my job.

Give EMT class a shot, and then quickly move on to paramedic if you think it's for you. With 2 little kids, life will get in the way if the education is not a priority and you always think about doing it "someday."

Naota_X

Forum Crew Member
use that determination you will never know unless you try i was waiting for a plumbing school to open before i went to emt school but the whole 3 years it took ( still going ) the plumbing school never started to accept applications all the while i kept thinking about being in ems just wasted 3 years but i just got my license a few months ago and am looking for work use that drive now dont wait and dont worry about making mistakes beecause you will

medic417

The Truth Provider
Aww man :huh:

You young whipper snappers think everything should be handed to you on a silver platter. Why in my day even if we succeeded we failed. Why? So we could sit here and gripe about how entitled this generation is.:lol:

But seriously at 20 you have just started life so welcome to the beginning of many failures with a few successes mixed in. Choose to focus on the successes and learn from the failures and life will be alright.

NJnewbie

Forum Crew Member
No offense, but if you are having problems paying for diapers, you might want to think about practicing some birth control. 2 kids already and you're only 20??? :eek: Seriously, you need to get your career in order before you start bringing kids into the world without a way to support them.

For a guy who is so young (and I assume has not gone to college), you write very well. You might want to think about going into EMS and then writing a book, or a blog, etc. I don't how things are in Maine, but where I am the local ambulance squad will pay for your training and then you can go from there.

Cohn

Forum Lieutenant
lol I did not drop out... I was close but no way was I going to drop out. I had no idea what I was going to do with my life... Then my mother saw a show with EMTs and Medics and said "hey go try that I think you would be good at that." So I took a FR class cause EMT class was full got all As then next semester took the EMT class and got all As. Now I have been in the field since May and have been loving it since.

OP
OP
A

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
This jumped out at me....do you think we do not constantly multi task in EMS? This attitude needs to be revisited and this skill needs to be worked on...otherwise, stay out of EMS.
This is where things get a little complex... I'm not really worried about the multitasking issue with EMS. As a CNA I could have up to fifteen patients if I was working nights, but there were times during day shift when I "only" had five. Five was the magic number for me. I had RN's go to my preceptor and I ask why I was still on orientation when I had five patients. When it comes to multitasking with a limited number of people I'm (mostly) all set. But multitasking with six or more patients... forget it.

Still, it is something that I will work to improve.

Two other comments...How old is your wife? Just curious since she got the NTG treatment and all...
She's 29. If I recall correctly the medic gave nitro before he did an EKG, and then proceeded to stare at the screen because, in his words, "that's beautiful." :ph34r:

Finally, at the age of 20 you stated you do not want to fail again. Guess what...you will fail again, many times over in your life...if you don't then you simply are not doing it right or ain't truly living.
True that, but having my entire career plan for life go "poof" because I couldn't cut it as a CNA was a little much for me. We all make mistakes, but that was pretty big.

OP
OP
A

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
No offense, but if you are having problems paying for diapers, you might want to think about practicing some birth control. 2 kids already and you're only 20??? :eek: Seriously, you need to get your career in order before you start bringing kids into the world without a way to support them.
I chuckled at the first part of this; no offense taken.

Got married when I was 19. One of my kids is my step-son who my wife had from a previous relationship, so there's one kid at 19. Started going to CNA class and found out my wife was pregnant as the result of "lazy birth control" and spent the next nine months wondering how we could afford it. There's my second one at 20.

I definitely want to be able to support my family and as much as I love my little one, he came at an inconvenient time. Our birth control practices are pretty air-tight now. ;)

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
True that, but having my entire career plan for life go "poof" because I couldn't cut it as a CNA was a little much for me. We all make mistakes, but that was pretty big.

Just because you couldn't handle CNA does not necessarily mean that you are out on all nursing. I sucked as a CNA when I was in nursing school. I hated the constant drink-fetching, vitals-checking, and turning and bedpan dumping, and and and.

Turns out that some hospitals expect entirely too much out of the CNAs, so they can then overburden the RNs.

Most of the CNA's job is the dull, repetitive, "unskilled" work that is actually the RN's job. By delegating that stuff out, the RNs sometimes lose the focus that regardless of who's supposed to be doing the job, it's still their responsibility to see that it's done.

All that to say that I had a great experience as an ICU nurse with 2 patients and no CNA to delegate my repsonsibilities to, even though I was completely inept with delivering drinks and baths and bedpans to 8 patients at a time.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
As if your personal life is anyone s business, you owe no one here an explanation.

As far as ems, you will be multi tasking, usually it will only be one patient at a time but circumstances arise it could be more and leave the cna job off your resume.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
As if your personal life is anyone's business, you owe no one here an explanation.

As far as ems, you will be multi tasking, usually it will only be one patient at a time but circumstances arise it could be more and leave the cna job off your resume.

well said

(i fixed it up a bit though :) )

OP
OP
A

aewin90

Forum Crew Member
Turns out that some hospitals expect entirely too much out of the CNAs, so they can then overburden the RNs.

Actually at the hospital where I worked, RN's had a max of 4 patients. CNA's had 8. Figure that one out. :blink:

RN's were rarely overwhelmed. CNA's, on the other hand...