Should I do a no-experience Paramedic program straight out?

OP
OP
F

FutureParamedic12

Forum Probie
I don't know. :/ It's a pretty popular event though. I don't think it would be so popular if it was as pointless/waste of time as you say.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I don't know. :/ It's a pretty popular event though. I don't think it would be so popular if it was as pointless/waste of time as you say.

Popularity is not a measure of quality.

But what you have said is that you really don't know how to do an assessment.

You have no idea what you are looking at or for.

You have no idea what is expected in this competition in terms of scoring, which is likely more subjective than figure skating.

Finally you claim to go above and beyond, but cannot describe what that is.

Given you don't seem to know what is expected, that is not surprising.

I think your career would be best served by you going to paramedic class as soon as humanly possible. Preferably at a reputable institution.

Definately somewhere else based on what you have received in your instruction so far.

OP
OP
F

FutureParamedic12

Forum Probie
Oh my God, I do know. I just don't want to write a page response on how to perform an assessment and what to look for during that assessment as proof that I know what I'm doing.

Above and beyond depends on the scenario. So it's hard to give a general explanation. But for state during my secondary assessment, I palpated the abdomen and found a pounding pulse signifying a possible aortic aneurysm. It's considered going above and beyond because it usually takes experience to recognize things like that. EMT students usually wouldn't recognize it.

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
I have a question, how do you know what someone else would recognize? Also in my class we talked about AAA. Oh another question while I think of it, how do you feel a pulsating mass unless it is on a real patient?

volleyball11

Forum Probie
I'm not in medical school. Sorry. But I'm sure that's not a hard topic to learn. Again, not trying to make myself sound like I'm better than any of you guys. Obviously I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't value your opinion and saw you as role models and mentors.
QUOTE]

sure sounds like it...

emtgirl515

Forum Probie
I am kicking myself for even responding to this.

In the words of Stewie Griffin, "I'm going to do what I call a compliment sandwich, where I say something good, talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good."

Sorry I couldn't help but say it. It seemed fitting for FutureParamedic12's age. Hope someone appreciates it.

First: I am impressed with your vocabulary and proper spelling for being 17. I know people twice your age in the medical field who can't spell the word "lives". Scary, as they say they want to help save them. So kudos to you. Also, if you do continue and end up in the field I have hope I could read your reports.

Secondly: I am not suggesting that I am in any position to be giving others advice but you asked for an opinion. Mine is: Don't do an online Basic or Paramedic course. You stated you have experience, but also stated you are not an EMT or anything. You can't have one without the other. So take a hands-on Basic course and get some real experience (even if it's just on clinicals) before you go for Paramedic. You will benefit in many ways. Besides, by the time you have taken a Basic course you will barely be old enough to take your NREMT exam. By taking a hands-on course & not "competing" you will also learn to work with people as you say you "hate" or "wouldn't trust your life with." There will always be people you don't see eye to eye with but you have to learn to deal with it. They could one day be your co-worker, boss, or it is possible they could end up treating you if, heaven forbid, you ever become a patient.

Thirdly: I think it is great, even if your perspective is a little off, that you are interested in this field. Who knows, with some time and some real situations, not competitions, you could make an excellent EMT. There needs to be more people with enthusiasm in EMS. Remember though, it's good to be confident but not cocky. For that matter I would take competent any day over the first 2 characteristics I mentioned. Anyway, go take an in person/hands-on course & build on what you've already learned.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I think its refreshing that there is a seventeen year old with a significant grasp of the english language that can use paragraphs and grammer to express himself, I had all but given up hope.

There's a fine line between cocky and confident, but I like someone with a little edge, life experience will tone that down a little. I also like that he has the attitude that he conquer the world, isnt locked in his bedroom playing x-box and doesn't communicate through text message language.

Stay in school get an education, take an emt class, preferably not on line. I believe initial training/education should be done in person.

Always remember there isnt anything wrong with confidence as long as you can deliver the goods.

Good luck.

And please, know what the goods even are.

The usefulness of many treatments in EMS, even EMS itself, are debatable. The only thing of actual value you bring to the scene is your brain, loaded with knowledge, like the answers to the questions that medicRob posted to you above.

I was on a competition team when I was 16 too. We were awesome- at every competition we were neck and neck with a team whose leader was a full-time medic. One of the smartest guys I've ever run into, and we beat him regularly, because he was thinking, and we were working through a checklist.

EMS is not about a checklist, or going above and beyond by recognizing a pulsatile mass in the abdomen. It's about sleuthing out what the problem is, pointing people in the right direction to the right help and not only not killing them on the way, but maybe even doing them a little good.

Good luck to you, tiger.

Tommerag

What day is it?
Another falsehood. Online does not mean they do not require hands on labs and practice. You do the lectures and research online. You go to the campus and do labs and hands on.

If online is so bad why are colleges doing online education, including EMS and other health professions now?

I never said that online classes didn't have labs and practice.

And as for why are colleges doing EMS and health professions online? Its simple. For Money. A lot of the online schools that offer EMS and other health care degrees are for profit schools. Granted there are some schools that offer good solid degrees online, but i think in generals its about the money.

Amycus

Forum Lieutenant
From where I'm sitting I'll say this: Confidence is great and it'll help alot in this field. However, you are coming off, at least on the forums, of being overly cocky, with no actual field experience. That's going to get thrown back in your face by instructors, and piss off your partners. Humility goes a long way.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Oh my God, I do know. I just don't want to write a page response on how to perform an assessment and what to look for during that assessment as proof that I know what I'm doing.

Above and beyond depends on the scenario. So it's hard to give a general explanation. But for state during my secondary assessment, I palpated the abdomen and found a pounding pulse signifying a possible aortic aneurysm. It's considered going above and beyond because it usually takes experience to recognize things like that. EMT students usually wouldn't recognize it.

Above and beyond is not just on game day.

Above and beyond is everyday.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank you guys for your responses! I think I'm going to go traditional and sign up for EMT/Paramedic training with a local community college. :) I also thank you for not beating me down like the guy below. I wasn't trying to sound cocky. It's just that I hate when people don't take things seriously. The people in that class are nothing like you guys. Obviously you guys are emergency medicine enthusiasts, and I came here to get advice from you because I see you as role models. If I thought I was better than any of you, would I be posting on this forum?

I know that there's still a lot that I have to learn, and in no way am I saying that I'm ready to handle a patient's life, I just get upset with the thought of the EMT students at my school. They are really cocky (if you think I'm cocky...come to my school) and they really know nothing because they don't care. They don't pay attention in class and 80% of the class is failing. It pisses me off because the EMT instructor is amazing and she loves teaching that class but no one cares and it's like she's wasting her time. So sorry if I came off as cocky/arrogant. I'm really not in person. I promise. :)

I'm sure she/he will. I know there's still a lot for me to learn.

I'm not in medical school. Sorry. But I'm sure that's not a hard topic to learn. Again, not trying to make myself sound like I'm better than any of you guys. Obviously I wouldn't be on this forum if I didn't value your opinion and saw you as role models and mentors.

Are you being serious? I don't even want to answer that...

Oh really? Because I did take over and did everything. Everyone else sat there except when I occasionally asked them to throw over gauze, roller bandages, etc. I don't see why a paramedic instructor would eat me alive for stating something that I did...

Well, not to be arrogant, but I am going to nationals for an EMT competition...I know how to handle a cut wound. HOSA competitions are intense. Everything has to be done perfectly if you even want to place in the top 10. Going above and beyond is the only way you'll advance. The EMT students don't take that class seriously. Me and the EMT instructor talked the entire trip to our state competition about how her class didn't have a passion for medicine like she did and how depressing that was for her to teach a class that did not care.

I don't have an attitude. The EMT students at my school don't take it seriously. None of them will probably pass the National Registry...or even qualify to take it because of their poor record in the class. I'm not trying to compare myself to you.

That is all. :)

Congratulations, you barely even answered a single question. You certainly didn't answer a medical question.

Also, the "I'm not in medical school" comment was particularly special considering you just told us you treated anaphylaxis, a type I hypersensitivity reaction, yet you couldn't even tell us about the drug in the auto-injector, it's properties and uses. Moreover, how the hell could someone who answers a question about what a type I hypersensitivity is with "Umm, im not in medical school" try to take over for an EMT who WAS TAUGHT what a type I hypersensitivity reaction is (btw, that is EMT Level not even Med School level). You seem to be nothing more than an arrogant, cocky 17 year old. Congratulations.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

"We don't believe in credibility because we know that we're *** incredible."

That quote comes to mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
I don't recommend taking medic class online. There is a lot of information in medic school and plus how would you be able to practice labs and what not. Something to think about.

I never said that online classes didn't have labs and practice.

And as for why are colleges doing EMS and health professions online? Its simple. For Money. A lot of the online schools that offer EMS and other health care degrees are for profit schools. Granted there are some schools that offer good solid degrees online, but i think in generals its about the money.

Seems you actually did.

Many "tax funded" big name university's do it as well. I honestly doubt there are any big name university's w/o online classes anymore.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Give the kid a break, he's 17...

Sasha

Forum Chief
Also, the "I'm not in medical school" comment was particularly special considering you just told us you treated anaphylaxis, a type I hypersensitivity reaction, yet you couldn't even tell us about the drug in the auto-injector, it's properties and uses

And to be fair many emts and paramedics on the street really couldn't tell you anything more about epi other than "Uhhmmm... it's epi..."

medic417

The Truth Provider

Sasha

Forum Chief
13+30 does not equal 13.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I couldn't help but wonder...

Does any other healthcare provider have a competition?

I am sorry and not directing at the poster, but this just sounds absolutely stupid.

EMS, not even a trade anymore, simply a game.

I didn't even know there was EMS competitions outside of the ones at Clincon.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
And to be fair many emts and paramedics on the street really couldn't tell you anything more about epi other than "Uhhmmm... it's epi..."

I would wager money that 90% of EMTs and Paramedics here in TN could tell you about the drug.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I would wager money that 90% of EMTs and Paramedics here in TN could tell you about the drug.

I'd wager money that you're wrong. Many don't care about the specifics as long as it makes them feel and look cool