Should I / Could I volunteer my skills?

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
OK, with the recent news of hurrican Katrina, many people are riding this storm out due to complete stupidity or extreme balls.

I have been thinking about volunteering my time as an EMT-B to possibly help the sick and injured after the storm passes.

Should I or could I??

Im registered in the state of Arkansas.

Please give me your thoughts.

-Cap'nPanic

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Do you know anyone on any of the departments down there? You can call them and ask.

Ummm... Red Cross could always use people.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
You should build a whacker mobile and respond down there lights & siren... Like those firefighters in IL (or whereever they were from).

<hits head on desk> I screwed something up here.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Whatever you do, don't just show up. It creates a clusterf*ck atmosphere. Call the Red Cross near you, they should be able to hook you up with the right people. I know a friend of mine who is a medic might get sent down there with a team from around here - but that is being arranged through the "proper" channels as far as I've been told.

OP
OP
C

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
I called the Red Cross this morning and asked about it. They have one person going out to Louisiana tomorrow morning and I asked about joining the relief effort. They said they would but they had to see what their needs are once the storm passes and everyone currently activated is out. So they will call back either today or tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get hooked up with the right people. I have better chances of being stationed in Louisiana or Southeastern Arkansas. If I get to go, this should be good learning experience for me on handling these types of incidents, another perk is that maybe I could get my foot in the door for a paid ambulance service job.

-Cap'nPanic

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds wrong, but I really wouldn't go. They may be short of manpower, but that's what Triage systems are for. Your own area may need you, and if everyone leaves, they will be in the same boat - or worse. It's fine for like the ANRC, etc to go; they are disaster services, but they go for different reasons. Unless you take like a truck load of supplies like water purification, blankets, medicines, food, etc; I wouldn't go. I was joking about the whacker wagon.

It's already affecting the North East; Pennsylvania has issued a Civil Emergency. We expect fuel shortages, possibly outages; and extreme rise in fuel prices. Most large, busy companies have been advised to 'keep stock'. Fuel trash pumps and keep extra fuel, and ready shelters with generators. I'll prolly go back home this week, the town my parents live in has a river that is higher than the town, with no flood walls...

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Actually Alex, manpower is exactly what they need. When Charley (the first storm that came through here last year) arrived we needed as many hands as we could. Within days we had a good thing going, only because people stepped up and helped out. When Dennis came through this year, we were able to help out Pensacola only because of people like Cap'n stepping up.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
Capn Panic - The red cross is the best way for you to help.

Chimpie - your point about help is well taken, but this country has another resource in which national disasters are handled.

There are Type 1 and Type 2 incident management teams who are trained for all disasters. The last thing people in our profession should do is blindly pick up and go to a disaster area. There are issues to consider that these teams are very well prepared for.

This system also has resources and an organized manner in which to activate them. This includes USFWS, National Guard, armed forces (prn), Red Cross, etc.

If anyone has any questions about these teams they are welcome to pm me.

I have seen first hand what has occurred when people just "show up" to help. Its appreciated, but when it is not organized, the incident dangers are increased.

OP
OP
C

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
here we have what is called DMAT (Disaster Medical Assistance Team) which is basically a uniformed group of people from around the state that go when called out. Since the team became official some years ago they have been activated at numerous events, such as:

9/11,
Winter Olympics at Salt Lake City Utah
Army Air National Gaurd / Airforce airshows
and other major events where there is a good chance of large scale chaos. They did have a website at one time but I think they opted out of that either early this year or late last year. I googled it and this is what I came up with as far as general DMAT is concerned.

http://www.the911site.com/911i/dmat1.htm

Every state has their own DMAT team usually called DMAT - AR-1 or something similar. I have thought about joining my local DMAT but I believe you have to have at least 1 yr exp to join the local team. These guys are very effective in handling large scale situations.

-Cap'nPanic

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
probably deploying with FEMA this week. i'd say hook up with the red cross and see if they want to send you

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'll be calling my RACES EC and volunteering my services....

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Local gas stations are already sold out of unleaded gas b/c the fuel trucks could not come today. They expect to be out until at least Friday b/c the fuel comes from the South... :angry: You would think that they would have planned ahead.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Aug 29 2005, 09:55 PM
Local gas stations are already sold out of unleaded gas b/c the fuel trucks could not come today. They expect to be out until at least Friday b/c the fuel comes from the South... :angry: You would think that they would have planned ahead.
I'm fueling on my way home, and will probably dig out our 5 or 6 gallons of gas cans and fill thme, too...

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I can always drain the fuel out of my ambulances, but aside from driving home, I really don't have to go anywhere this week. I can walk to the post office...

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Aug 29 2005, 05:53 PM
I'll be calling my RACES EC and volunteering my services....

Jon
Is anyone even operating? I can't hear anything.. and nobody answered. I even pushed my 'civil defense' buttons and nobody answered. :( I have a feeling my Icom is DOA.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Seriously....

So... is anyone other than Chris going? Chimpie???

I'm thinking about it....

Jon

OP
OP
C

Cap'nPanic

Forum Lieutenant
Well I think this thread has gotten alot of people thinking about it anyway. I want to go but I havent been able to get in touch with someone from an organized crew such as DMAT or ARC. Im sure I will get my opportunity when the right time comes.

-Cap'nPanic

Gung ho to help.... B)