Short FTO Period

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I believe it varies as shown in the thread. I've been places that you get told congratulations your hired you start tomorrow and bid been places where I was told at minimum 3 days FTO I applied at a place that sent me on a call when I walked through the door and said will finish the application later..

drjekyl75

Forum Crew Member
The company I work at has a minimum of 60 hrs for EMT-B and 80 hrs for EMT-P. Your time is split between 2 FTO's, at the end of the time period they sign off on either the person needs more training or is clear to hit the road.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
6 shifts regardless of cert. FTO time is spent teaching the system not to be a Medic or EMT.

Already an EMT employed there, and just got your medic?

Here's your narcs, have fun.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Nursing is notoriously bad too.

I love when they drop a six inch thick binder next to you on a table and say "Here, read this then sign the paper". And that is how you learn the protocols.

I think that is very dependent on area. Was this in the Army? In my area almost all hospitals have new grad residencies and an adequate orrientation.

For reference my ICU orientation, as an "experienced" RN, is 12 weeks which includes 120hrs of education modules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
We don't have a set FTO time frame, it varies from person-to-person. That said, even experiences medics spend 4 or 5 months in the program. New medics can spend up to a year. It's split up- you start off only attending, then switch to driving.

There's also an academy before anyone started street shifts. Right now I believe it's 2 weeks and includes EVOC, surgical crichs, ketamine, the COMBAT study, and a few other things.