Sheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
I see emt's mostly not so many medics wear sheers on the side of there tact pants. Ive seen one guy wear sheers that were pink maybe he was queer or trying to be diffrent i really dont know. Just wondering if anyone wears them because they will use them or is it just a fashion statement? If I was going on a psych floor I wouldnt want some pt grabbing at my leg for them.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I see emt's mostly not so many medics wear sheers on the side of there tact pants. Ive seen one guy wear sheers that were pink maybe he was queer or trying to be diffrent i really dont know. Just wondering if anyone wears them because they will use them or is it just a fashion statement? If I was going on a psych floor I wouldnt want some pt grabbing at my leg for them.

I consider the word queer to be offensive when used in this context.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
EMS isn't a fashion show.

Pink is good because macho homophobes are less likely to want to walk off with them.

Oh, and they're easier to see in the event they get lost because they're less likely to blend in with their surroundings.

I don't wear them at my IFT job because I never really use them there.

I wear them at my standby job because I use them multiple times a shift there.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
My understanding is that pink items tend to be resistant to growing legs and walking away. While probably not pink, I do wish now that I hadn't gone with the standard black steth.

As far as wearing sheers, for me it had a use. While I didn't need them often, it's nice having them readily available and in a location where I don't have to think about where to reach to get them. For psych facilities, it's easy to just remove them and leave them in the ambulance.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Sheers get used all the time. Why wouldn't they carry them? I use mine at least once a week.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

JPINFV

Gadfly
Also, fun fact. Pink used to be a color for boys.
"For example, a June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department said, “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.” Other sources said blue was flattering for blonds, pink for brunettes; or blue was for blue-eyed babies, pink for brown-eyed babies, according to Paoletti

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain

No it is definitely not just a fashion statement, they serve many purposes....mainly cutting stuff! They are cheap (read: disposable) and are the preferred tool for exposing the patient. Color is usually a preference.

NJN

The Young One
I wear my pink shears whenever I'm working. Don't always use them but I've had them for the better part of a year without them disappearing. Back when all I had were black shears they would get dropped on scene, never to be heard from again. If you think the color of the shears make the man... you are mistaken.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I consider the word queer to be offensive when used in this context.

As do I, a little tact goes a long way.

That being said, I wear shears on the side of my pants, I like to have easy access to them in case I have a loose string or annoying thread. I see guys and gals alike with all colors of shears, including pink. Me personally, I have bright green trauma shears, maybe I'm awesome or just trying to be legen...wait for it...dary. It's really probably both.

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Thread closed per this rule
You agree that you will not use this site to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vu harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. W ability to remove objectionable content and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine necessary

Status
Not open for further replies.