SF Bay Area EMS Shifts with Bay Area Companies

Mr. Science

Forum Ride Along
Of those of you who have EMS jobs here in this lovely SF Bay Area of ours, what does the shift landscape look like?

I'd imagine that newbies are more likely to get the least desirable shifts than dedicated experienced employees. What would these shifts be?

I was on a ride along with WestMed and the EMTs there did 8 hour shifts. A medic there was doing 24 shifts.

If you could include your company name and company type (ie. 911 or IFT) in your reply, I, and many EMS newbies who read this thread would be ever so grateful. :)

Fbarba123

Forum Lieutenant
Did you ride with westmed in Alco, santa clara county?

I think westmed in Santa Clara is als 911.. i think?

OP
OP
M

Mr. Science

Forum Ride Along
Did you ride with westmed in Alco, santa clara county?

I think westmed in Santa Clara is als 911.. i think?

WestMed is transport, although they do occasionally pick up 911 overflow.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Westmed does ALS transports, but they can also do 911 overflow, as can all the BLS units if ALS is unavailable. In the late '90's, before I became a Paramedic, I worked for a BLS company... and each one of our units usually averaged 2 overflow 911 calls every day. Yes, we went to EVERYTHING, and back then, lots of fire units were NOT ALS capable. Then around 2000, the 911 contract was renegotiated and AMR was required to put more units out on the street... and the overflow volume dropped dramatically, to maybe one or two per week.

Since that county got ALS Transports, I'd much prefer that an ALS IFT unit take 911 overflow than a BLS unit... but at least with BLS, you still have transport and the possibility of taking the fire medic along! I've even transported a patient with an AMR supervisor... and I didn't work for AMR... back in the days when I worked BLS. That was a bit different...