Server may be a bit slow

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
UPDATE: Due to a security risk our server's core files needed to be updated. It may be slow as services come back online. Within the next few hours everything should be back to normal.

Thanks for understanding.

Just a quick announcement.

I had today off work and school, so I spent much of it working on the web-based projects I've been putting off for so long. As I started to dig around our server, I started to break more and more things. Actually I noticed more and more things not working. Until they're fixed the server may be a bit slow. It shouldn't be a big deal, and you probably won't even notice, but I just wanted to let you know.

As always, thank you for your continued support. This forum is not any one persons, and the content this site has depends on our contributions.

Thanks again for understanding.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Just out of curiosity, do you manage the emtlife.com server yourself or is it managed by a hosting company? I sort of gathered that you manage it yourself. Just curious... I am getting ready to implement a RAID 1 array on my server at home and was going to ask for some opinion on the implementation if your familiar with RAID at all. Let me know.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Just out of curiosity, do you manage the emtlife.com server yourself or is it managed by a hosting company? I sort of gathered that you manage it yourself. Just curious... I am getting ready to implement a RAID 1 array on my server at home and was going to ask for some opinion on the implementation if your familiar with RAID at all. Let me know.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Edit: Read last post

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Never really noticed it had slowed down at all. Good job you're doing here.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
UPDATE: Due to a security risk our server's core files needed to be updated. It may be slow as services come back online. Within the next few hours everything should be back to normal.

Thanks for understanding.

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by ResTech@Jun 12 2004, 04:41 PM
Sorry about the late reply, for some reason I had to approve the posts. I'll change that for the future.

We're currently running on our own server. The server is in a premium datacenter, using the best bandwidth providers available. We're also using cPanel, really the cutting-edge webhosting control panel.

Unfortunately there are hackers who attempt take over servers. They most likely have no clue about EMTLife.com, or any of the other sites (15 or so) on our server, but just scan random IP addresses looking for holes. There was a hole discovered in our control panel, so I had to update. Unfortunately that update was rushed, and it broke a lot of features. I had to recompile Apache (the webserver) serveral times, then the datacenter had to rebuild the server's kernal (the core files). Lots of geeky stuff.

(As I re-read your question, hey, you know your stuff)

RAID, I know absolutely nothing about. Go to http://www.hosthideout.com or http://www.webhostingtalk.com and you'll literally find experts that would love to help you. The industry leading webhosts talk there, and that's where I learned most of what I know. I can't afford RAID, I do nightly backups to another drive, then another backup to another server.

Sorry about the late reply