Seizure call

SpongeDude

Forum Ride Along
I have not been on many seizure calls... If you walk into a room and your pt. is actively seizing...... what do you do first?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Flee!

Just kidding.

The first thing that I'd do is make sure the patient isn't injuring themself any further. Move furniture out of the way if necessary. And be prepared to maintain an airway once the seizure stops.

Gents82

Forum Probie
SpongeDude said:
I have not been on many seizure calls... If you walk into a room and your pt. is actively seizing...... what do you do first?

speaking of seizures...

I was wondering lets say you respond to a call to a "man down in the park" You know nothing, no one saw anything, and no one knows him. Only thing you know is he is unresponsive so you slip in an oral airway. Then on the way to the ambulance he starts seizing again... what should you do with the airway in his mouth?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Leave it. If he's actively seizing, I'm not putting my fingers near his mouth to remove a piece of plastic that's protecting his airway and serving as a bite block.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Bite blocks are no longer standard practice... BUT - many times you will find an ET tube secured with some form of bite block to prevent the ET Tube being occluded duing a seizure or other issue.

Jon

Gents82

Forum Probie
ffemt8978 said:
Leave it. If he's actively seizing, I'm not putting my fingers near his mouth to remove a piece of plastic that's protecting his airway and serving as a bite block.

I wonder then, would it be your best bet to use a naso airway for an unknown unresponsive patient? Or is naso only used if the oral causes a gag reflex..

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
a naso is probably one of the most under used goody we have

maybe it's the look of utter shock from the family when we stuff 4" of rubba hose up ya nose? :)

siezure later!

~S~

VinBin

Forum Captain
Stevo said:
siezure later!

~S~
:blink: :blink:

Speaking of Seizures, I had only been called to seizures and had never seen one live. But on my last two clinicals at the ER, I had two patients start seizing right as I was asking them questions....first time it scared the hell out of me, she got this weird look in her eyes and then BAM! next time I was aware that it was a possibility...

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
VinBin said:
:blink: :blink:

Speaking of Seizures, I had only been called to seizures and had never seen one live. But on my last two clinicals at the ER, I had two patients start seizing right as I was asking them questions....first time it scared the hell out of me, she got this weird look in her eyes and then BAM! next time I was aware that it was a possibility...
They were "doing the tuna"

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
we mainly get them postictal, last one 'doin the tuna' (love that Jon) was a dude whom was this woman's 4th husband....i think she's evil but the crew won't write that on the run sheet....

~S~