Second job NOT related to EMS?

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I homeschool my kids. It's the hardest job that pays nothing in the world.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
Can't show pictures from work, but I'm a lead software engineer in the nuclear industry at a facility which designs and manufactures nuclear fuel (it also designs reactors themselves and their serviceable components).

My group focuses on automation of existing software processes (can't exactly get our software at Best Buy), visualization of analyses, and the optimization of fuel design/loadouts. I also do systems administration for our computational cluster (~70 16-32 processor machines w/ 24-32G RAM each, 18TB of online storage).

I work in an 8'x8' cell, errr, cubicle, with 3 computer monitors on my workstation. My left two monitors containing development environments (a mix of Fortran, C, and C# development) and the right one running Google Chrome (typically documentation for various software frameworks).

About the best I can describe it.

Ummm...what? :0

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
you must take a hell of a pay cut when working as an EMT?

Yeah, I think this just might apply to Christopher's day job too. That does sound like a unique job Christopher! Is that your full time gig?

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
I homeschool my kids, operate a daycare in my home for infants with fragile immunities..

I used to be an R&D EE for Arctic Cat engines, but I quit that mess to do something emotionally valuable.

Once I get a job on a rig crew, I figure I'll make a 5th of what I use to.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Ummm...what? :0

Think really big computers to play a giant game of billiards (that's all fission is really; the most complicated way to boil water).

Yeah, I think this just might apply to Christopher's day job too. That does sound like a unique job Christopher! Is that your full time gig?

Full time since '07, contract work since '04ish, intern/coop starting in '01. Pay is in the 55th percentile as far as software goes, but that's what you get at a Fortune 10 company unless you're in a position which has external billing (or a P&L leader).

As far as the job goes, it is two parts computer archeology and one part bleeding edge. I'm in charge of software that was written in the 60's and still exists today, relatively unchanged. The neat thing is it was all bleeding edge back then, nothing at all like it...whereas if you use contemporary standards it isn't quite as neat. We mix it up with the latest and greatest for certain projects, which helps keep you sane.

The nuclear industry is very niche and works on a geologic time scale. Slow to advance as it takes a long time to qualify products. Not a friendly environment for younger software folks, hence me getting into medicine.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Just found a pic of Christopher's cube.
5e9a5y7a.jpg

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
Game programmer most of the day, as soon as I can find a service that'll take an old and inexperienced basic who only wants to EMS on weekends... then that =)

hogwiley

Forum Captain
I did a couple different jobs outside of EMS even after I got my EMT license. Worked as a heavy equipment mechanic and a welder. The reason I got into EMS was to get out of that kind of work, but I still did it for a while afterwards because full time EMT jobs that pay a living wage are so rare.

I miss the volunteer agency I was with because all the EMTs had other jobs and did EMS because they liked to help people or out of a sense of community, most of us were vets, and everyone was mature, competent and proven in other areas so we had a lot of all around expertise and knowledge, which is far from the case in paid EMS, particularly at the EMT level.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
Worked in retail for a while, quit that to work overtime. Just makes way more sense financially for a newlywed.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
I've tried, unsuccessfully, to apply to various jobs outside of EMS, but was 'over qualified'

What? You can't hire a paramedic bus boy?