Scoop/Orthopedic stretcher/Butt pincher

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
FFEMT1764 said:
We still use our scoops, in fact they and the inverted KED our the only 2 ways we are allowed to move a hip fracture pt. We can't even use a LSB unless it is a pelvic and femur frac, or if the obvious neck/back trauma is involved.

The state still teaches the use of the scoop here too, and since we are a semi poor state we have to use things that are cheap. But hey they do work great for what we use 'em for.

You can't use the evacu- full body splint?

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Um if we could afford it we could, but if it costs more than $1.98 we would have to take a pay cut. I love our elected officials soo much!
:rolleyes:

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
Do a fund raiser. We are a volunteer dept. and we sprung for one. The first broken hip we took in on it was so impressed she donated the cost of the splint to us for any EMS equipment we wnated to buy.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
County law prevents us from doing fund raisers as we are a county funded agency, but we are applying for grants. For what I don't know, I'm just a lowly street medic.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
FFEMT1764 said:
County law prevents us from doing fund raisers as we are a county funded agency, but we are applying for grants. For what I don't know, I'm just a lowly street medic.

Yup.. If our service wanted all that fancy new equipment, we'd have to take a pay cut.. Can't do fundraising by city and county laws because we are a for-profit agency. We can't get taxes, because the fire department gets tax money. and EMS tax goes to Emergency Management.. "Emergency Management Services" tax.. :sarcastic:

And we already bill too much.. so it would have to either come from the union's good of the service fund, or from our pocket. :thumbs_down:

emtbuff

Forum Captain
hfdff422 said:
You can't use the evacu- full body splint?

:thinking: is that a vaccum splint thingy. That is the size of a small mattress pad??

If so I've seen them used during EMT training. It is a neat splint.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
emtbuff said:
:thinking: is that a vaccum splint thingy. That is the size of a small mattress pad??

If so I've seen them used during EMT training. It is a neat splint.
Yes and yes

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
Those vacuum splints are fun. First time I ever used one was on a NH pt, and nearly got splinted in with the pt.

-CP

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I bought a set of "Pneumatic Splints" on ebay..

Opened it, they were heavy, made noise... The lettering said "Place Pump Here".

So, I tried to pump it up. Nope. No go. So I fiddled with it, finally got it to pump up.. Jenn walks in and says "Oh we have those in the ER... wha... wait. You're not supposed to inflate them..?"

:thinking: :sarcastic:

So I broke one... They are nice splints though. Too bad the guy didn't send me a pump that creates a vacuum, instead of pressure. :embaressed_smile:

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
I missed the run, but a lady broke her hip yesterday and the hospital left her in the evacu-splint until they were done with x-rays and prep since she was so comfortable. I had to go pick it up form the hospital toady to keep it from walking off- believe me it would!

hfdff422

Forum Lieutenant
TTLWHKR said:
I bought a set of "Pneumatic Splints" on ebay..

Opened it, they were heavy, made noise... The lettering said "Place Pump Here".

So, I tried to pump it up. Nope. No go. So I fiddled with it, finally got it to pump up.. Jenn walks in and says "Oh we have those in the ER... wha... wait. You're not supposed to inflate them..?"

:thinking: :sarcastic:

So I broke one... They are nice splints though. Too bad the guy didn't send me a pump that creates a vacuum, instead of pressure. :embaressed_smile:
The seller probably had no idea what he had. Mabye you could pick up one of those funky car starters made by Phillips, you know the FRx or FR2 models.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
I will not say I have used the scoop alot, but I have used it enough to know that we need to carry one on the rig.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
I am again going to give my 2 cents worth. I love the scoop! It has sooo many uses, the hip fracture, the lightweightedness for the long carry outs with non traumatic pts, the ability to us it as a restraint for the violent and intoxicated pt. Its a wonderful and lightweight tool that I would never want to see go the way of the MAST pants. Just my opinion though.