School Response Kit

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
If you were in charge of putting together a first response kit at a school, what would it include?

EMS can be 5-20 minutes away, and you have a couple EMTs on staff who work for the responding agency.

Thanks!

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
AED
Airway supplies - OPAs, NPAs, Face Mask, BVMs
Gloves
Blood Pressure Cuff
Stethoscope
Glucometer
Oral Glucose
Splinting material
Ice Packs
Band-aids
Bandage/dressing material - 4x4's, cling, tape, ect.
Acetone wipes

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
First response bag for school

gloves, include non latex
"trauma blankets" (the silver ones)
if you can Sam Splints, they are compact and work well for little people! :)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Definitely not BVM or NPA, OPA etc.. unless they have an EMT license, or you have a medical director to write your protocols, and be your medical director for such.

There is no significance in using a BVM over a good pocket mask, as well as keeping those trained to use them. It is well documented unless used properly it much better to use a pocket mask over BVM.

The same with any other medical equipment, unless you have rescuers specifically trained or authorized by a physician to perform such as in protocols, you must work as a first responder level. As well, equipment expires, and you must rotate stock... this can be costly and should have what stock is commonly used.

Questioning is there that many responses to your school and if your school ? Does your school provide medical malpractice coverage for your teachers to perform as rescuers ? I know most schools want to only provide the basics until professional help arrives. Remember, although increasing care is good it also increases liability in which administration and the school may not want to be involved in.

R/r 911

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Do we really need a medical director if the EMT and RN are acting as first responders for the local responding agency?

While I agree that a pocket mask is generally better for one rescuer efforts, I'm confident the experienced EMT and RN will operate the BVM properly.

We have a nurse (RN) and EMT on staff who are operating under a general BLS scrope of practice. I am neither of those.

I want to keep this simple, really simple, but I also want to make sure the needed medical supplies are available if needed. We have a BVM, splints, and bandages in the main nurses office, but I'd like to create some sort of responder bag.

Thanks!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yes, the EMT and RN cannot work upon their own license without some form of medical control. Unless, your state is very unique. This would be practicing medicine without license if they are "representing" the first response agency not the school (off duty from the school)... remember, good samaritan act only covers those without the duty to act, such as bystanders, not staff of the school or even members of a first response agencies.

The BVM is immaterial, but experience has demonstrated to me that very few EMT's and definitely non-emergency RN's are familiar and experienced with the use of BVM to be used proficiently. It is highly recommended to be used by 2 persons because of such. Pocket masks are much easier to use, and without oxygen there is no advantage to use a BVM device. As well, the price of a BVM in comparison to pocket masks, one could purchase several and place around the campus.

I do applaud your thinking of trying to become prepared. Try to be practical though. Medical equipment have an expiration date and re-stocking is expensive, unless you can rotate stock with the squad or other arrangements. I would suggest to purchase very basic equipment to be used. again such as bandages, splints, and chemical ice packs. Since most injuries at schools, are recreation injuries. In the past 29 years, I have responded very few times to schools. Most responses were either of those involving sports, playground injuries or illnesses that were prior existing or involved nothing a normal first responder could treat from their kit. Fortunately, most kids are over all healthy.. (unless you work at as specialized facility)

Again, I applaud your efforts and concerns, as well as possibility of keeping it simple and being able to afford several such packs so one can retrieve them more easier.

Good luck,
R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

Summit

Critical Crazy
Rid it sounded like the EMT is a member of the responding agency and would be under their medical direction?

------

What kind of school is this? Elementary? College? HS?

Coban and SAM splint. Ice pack ice pack ice pack

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Don't know how what legal implications that would bring.?.. Since they are being employed as staff members at the time of the response. Hence there first duties would be staff members of the school...hence it may not cover them if they are not representing the squad at the time.

This would be a subject I definitely would discuss between administration of both the school and EMS and medical director. There would be a fine line, that the medical control may want to cover the appointed rescuers at the school with individual protocols to CYA. This would diffuse confusion and increase protection as well.

This scenario could be the same with any other employer that has an injury on site and some of their employees are on the squad. I would believe they would have to be "off the clock" on thier primary job to be covered on the responding unit. Technicality but something I would explore especially dealing with parents and children.

R/r 911

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I appreciate everyones feedback.

First, I must say that I am not one of the responding EMTs or medical people. Second it's important to remember that this is a smaller town with a true small town feel to it. Liability and legality were huge issues when I worked in suburban USA, but out here things are far more relaxed.

Second, I really for once in my life want to keep it simple. I just have visions of past medical emergencies where responding staff had to send people down the hall, down a flight of stairs, to the nurses office, have them grab the wrong stuff, and have to do it over again... and again. I'd like to be able to buy a small bag at Walmart, throw in it the basics, and be able to have that on scene.

I'm a bit confused about the med control statement. We have an EMT who volunteers for the local EMS service. He is always on call, but usually only responds after school hours. I also believe they have a relationship with the local EMS service. Again, this is all stuff I need to look at.

Lastly, I've seen many medical emergencies in my short experience as a teacher. I've had a student break her leg in my class, another go into severe respiratory distress, one require stitches, and many cuts, scrapes, and bruises. As a student I've seen brain injuries, massive traumas, and lots more. I don't want a trauma kit on scene to save the world, but I'd like to have staff available if someone required assistance.

I really appreciate this thread and your replies more than you think. It is a struggle for me to let go of the whacker in me and create a system that just plain works. I don't need each staff to have an XTS5000, LifePak 12, and Taser, but I'd like to have the basics and procedures set and in place should something happen.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
In PA, as long as you stay to the "simple" side of the BLS protocols you are good (No AED, no Epi-Pen, no Glucose). Any EMT is covered by the basic state protocols at that point.

I think the list above is a good list. Probably can put it all in a small cooler or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
RidRyder makes the point.. I would contact school administration and have them chk the in's and out's with the school districts solicitor. In PA, we have a QRS program (Quick Response Service) that offers recogonition as an EMS entity. QRS services are non-transporting and are usually industrial response teams, FD's with no ambulance, etc. Not sure if ur state has ne thing like this or not but worth chking in to.

Anomalous

Forum Lieutenant
The responder needs to have a letter from the school allowing them to leave work to respond to a call. This would let them leave for ANY call, but they couldn't be disciplined for being a.w.o.l. This is common in small towns. Then, when there is an incident, they must call their agency before responding. Sending someone else to make the call is sufficient. Usually workman's comp and liability will start from the time your response begins, including driving to the station. If you send someone else to make the call, be sure to state that "EMT J. Doe is responding". This will cover all parties and the ambulance can always go back home if they aren't needed.