School Nurse Wanna Be's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
]
The law says that a School Nurse must have the certificate, and in order to get the certificate one must have a Bachelor's degree at the least. The Certification's site is below and says it in plain detail.
http://www.nbcsn.com/examdefault.htm

Certification requirements for a private certification are NOT law.

Example: Let's say the states requires you to hold an ZERA card for a job. Let's say ZERA requires you to be a Paramedic. There is NO law at the state level requiring you to be a Paramedic, just to hold an ZERA card. The only requirement is by a private institution that teaches ZERA, requiring you to be a Paramedic.

Last edited by a moderator:

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Ok, how much does the average paramedic have in those things?

After all, I know a fair number of EMTs who can interpret 12 leads, so should EMTs be interpreting 12 leads?

(On a side note, legally speaking paramedics in California can't do 12 leads right now. It's actually kinda of funny).

Really?

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
(On a side note, legally speaking paramedics in California can't do 12 leads right now. It's actually kinda of funny).

It's just not fair to use California as ANY sort of educational baseline when talking about EMS ;)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
]
The law says that a School Nurse must have the certificate, and in order to get the certificate one must have a Bachelor's degree at the least. The Certification's site is below and says it in plain detail.
http://www.nbcsn.com/examdefault.htm

And from the page you linked to...

a. Attainment of bachelor's degree or higher, in nursing or health related field, or the equivalent in other countries.
OR
b. Current certification by NBCSN as an NCSN.
I see a BSN as one of the requirements, but there are other ways to meet the qualifications.

And the site you linked to is not a legislative agency that actually writes the laws, it is simply their own requirements. So unless you can provide a link to the actual law that says you must have a BSN (and only a BSN), then your argument doesn't hold water.

JPINFV

Gadfly

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
It used to be a part of the EMT-II level. Paramedic scope is "Everything in EMT-II level plus _____." When EMT-II went to AEMT, the monitor component was removed, but never added to the paramedic scope.

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/about/files/ParaDraftParamedic_Regulations.pdf
Page 7. Everything underlined is being proposed as being added to the statute authorizing paramedics.

Yet another reason why california just needs to sink into the ocean already.

Not a slight at any of you cali peeps, I would be more than happy for you to move inland and settle down where your practice and education would not be limited so. ;p

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
And from the page you linked to...

I see a BSN as one of the requirements, but there are other ways to meet the qualifications.

And the site you linked to is not a legislative agency that actually writes the laws, it is simply their own requirements. So unless you can provide a link to the actual law that says you must have a BSN (and only a BSN), then your argument doesn't hold water.
Right, but every single one of those schools required a BSN for the certificate, and it was said several times it was for the BSN course. Tell me how there are other ways to meet the qualifications ?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
For all those interested, here is the ACTUAL law in WV covering licensing of Nurses.

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/Code.cfm?chap=30&art=7#07

In a quick scan, I did not see having a BSN as a requirement for anything.

In addition, from this link
http://www.wvasn.com/certification.cfm
it states,
The West Virginia Department of Education requires that all school nurses become certified. The process of School Nurse Certification must be initiated within the first year of employment. There are various programs offered in the state of West Virginia for this certification.
, so it is a Department of Education requirement for the certificate...not a law.

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
It used to be a part of the EMT-II level. Paramedic scope is "Everything in EMT-II level plus _____." When EMT-II went to AEMT, the monitor component was removed, but never added to the paramedic scope.

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/about/files/ParaDraftParamedic_Regulations.pdf
Page 7. Everything underlined is being proposed as being added to the statute authorizing paramedics.

It is not in the state scope as defined by Title 22, but numerous LEMSA's use 12-lead. Also, SSV-EMS just says EKG, it does not say can only use 3 leads. Hence, 12 lead is utilized.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Right, but every single one of those schools required a BSN for the certificate, and it was said several times it was for the BSN course. Tell me how there are other ways to meet the qualifications ?

I understand it is a requirement to have a BSN...my issue is that you keep claiming it is the LAW. There is a huge difference between a requirement and a law.

JPINFV

Gadfly
It is not in the state scope as defined by Title 22, but numerous LEMSA's use 12-lead. Also, SSV-EMS just says EKG, it does not say can only use 3 leads. Hence, 12 lead is utilized.

I think it's an oversight and no one is going to care if a paramedic uses a monitor until that bill gets passed. After all, how many LEMSAs have gone through the wavier process in order to add it?

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
For all those interested, here is the ACTUAL law in WV covering licensing of Nurses.

http://www.legis.state.wv.us/WVCODE/Code.cfm?chap=30&art=7#07

In a quick scan, I did not see having a BSN as a requirement for anything.

In addition, from this link
http://www.wvasn.com/certification.cfm
it states, , so it is a Department of Education requirement for the certificate...not a law.
I was just at that site, I'm surfing through it now, but there may still be a law.

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
I think it's an oversight and no one is going to care if a paramedic uses a monitor until that bill gets passed. After all, how many LEMSAs have gone through the wavier process in order to add it?

Perhaps it is, but the the California EMSA leaves much of the scope of practice issues to local medical directors.

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
I'd like to point out that my Paramedic book (Brady) covered pretty much every single topic that this thread has argued that only RN's are taught. I still fail to understand why I would have any less knowledge of the school population I would be working with than an RN if I was working in the same exact capacity. There are just so many logical issues here. I can honestly tell you that even without my paramedic education and just as an EMT-B I would still feel completely comfortable working in the capacity of a 'school nurse' even if I couldn't legally identify myself as one. It's just not that big of a deal to change from dealing with the entire population of a county to the population of a school. The issues are only different if you try to make them that way.

I will agree that it would be wrong to identify yourself as an RN if you aren't one. However the title of 'school nurse' isn't a degree or a license so there is technically no reason why an EMT, Paramedic, LVN or CNA couldn't be one. Excluding, apparently, some states who have some sort of certification for school nurse.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I'd like to point out that my Paramedic book (Brady) covered pretty much every single topic that this thread has argued that only RN's are taught. I still fail to understand why I would have any less knowledge of the school population I would be working with than an RN if I was working in the same exact capacity. There are just so many logical issues here. I can honestly tell you that even without my paramedic education and just as an EMT-B I would still feel completely comfortable working in the capacity of a 'school nurse' even if I couldn't legally identify myself as one. It's just not that big of a deal to change from dealing with the entire population of a county to the population of a school. The issues are only different if you try to make them that way.

So, again, how much health maintenance and dental education was in your paramedic, and especially your EMT course?

I will agree that it would be wrong to identify yourself as an RN if you aren't one. However the title of 'school nurse' isn't a degree or a license so there is technically no reason why an EMT, Paramedic, LVN or CNA couldn't be one. Excluding, apparently, some states who have some sort of certification for school nurse.

The term "nurse" is a protected term in most states. Would you have an issue with a non-paramedic calling themselves a paramedic?

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant

Do you really think EMT training would make you feel comfortable in giving injections, health education, nutrition, educational plans, teaching, public speaking, and much much more ? No. It is a certification though. And you would have less knowledge because you learned nothing or very little of teaching, dental hygiene, counseling, and mentoring.

Nerd13

Forum Lieutenant
So, again, how much health maintenance and dental education was in your paramedic, and especially your EMT course?

Some actually. When was the last time you had a dental exam in the school nurses office beyond checking to see if you have all of your teeth and what kind of condition they were in.

The term "nurse" is a protected term in most states. Would you have an issue with a non-paramedic calling themselves a paramedic?
Yes, but I did not say "nurse" I said "school nurse". I don't think there is any technical requirement for what kind of 'nurse' a school nurse must be. Can they be an LVN? CNA? If there is no steadfast rule I don't think it can be argued that they have to be one particular level of care provider. Just my two cents though. That one is open to interpretation.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Do you really think EMT training would make you feel comfortable in giving injections, health education, nutrition, educational plans, teaching, public speaking, and much much more ?

EMT? No. Paramedic? Yes. Community / Advanced Practice Paramedic? Most definitely.

What do you think most 911 calls are, except for primary care situations?

Status
Not open for further replies.