Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
^^^

A product of our nation's public school system. Industrialized, group-scheduled, non-individuated, creative-thought killing education has lead our youth to become excellent factory workers, to go from one thing to another beleiving that the subjects have nothing to do with one another, you learn to respond to bells and meaningless spans of time spent on task because of crowd control, not because of a topic to be mastered.

You, Happy, have been socialized to believe some falsehoods about the world that are not true.

Let your mind move beyond what you have been taught to believe because you are showing your limited thought capability here.
Think what you want, because you are entitled to it. And so am I. I am simply expressing it here. But please, don't attempt to think I have been ruined by the public school system, when they have nothing to do with this.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Think what you want, because you are entitled to it. And so am I. I am simply expressing it here. But please, don't attempt to think I have been ruined by the public school system, when they have nothing to do with this.

It's successful brainwashing when you're totally unaware. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Im sorry, but I fail to see your point here. School nurses where I'm from(GA) don't do much of anything. They keep records of medical conditions on students(on a computer) and give students their medications(if they even bother to get them). School nurses here dont do much of anything else, they dont even have an oxygen bottle in their office. What purposeful good are they going to do for a student other than give meds, and maybe some crackers if they so choose to give them to a student.

Last time that I ran a call at a school, the nurse had a print out of the students info(medical conditions etc), and that was it. She was just sitting their with a I dont know what to do look on her face.
Don't make assumptions on what you think they do. If this is all you really think they do, then you aren't really educated in the subject of what they do. What good are they doing besides giving medicine ? This, right here, is exactly why I persist with this thread. Because people make such comments as these.

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
The difficulty I really have with this thread is just being able to comprehend why an EMS professional would demean themselves by misrepresenting themselves as a nurse. They should be proud of who they are and claim that title with pride. Not diminish themselves to the perception of being a school nurse....ick.

It`s just embarassing. There`s no reason an EMS professional can`t be a school, camp, or worksite medical professional....just don`t claim to be what you aren`t. I`d be embarassed to call myself a school nurse.....or any sort of nurse for that matter.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
But did you know that he had hypoglycemia when walking up ?
Did you know that he has a severe case and needs to be monitored daily ?
Did you know that he may have other health issues that could have caused this ?
Nope, you didn't. But the School Nurse does, because she deals with the direct care of this patient at school every day.

Again, this depends on how large the school is. If it's a smaller school then yeah, she might know; but if it's a larger school, chances are she won't know. The thing is that if a paramedic is acting as a "school nurse" then they would have the same probability of knowing about a single students health problems as an RN acting in the role of a "school nurse" would. The level of provider does not dictate whether or not they will be onsite or offsite.

Either way, in this case 911 will more than likely be called and that will all be part of the history taking.

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Again, this depends on how large the school is. If it's a smaller school then yeah, she might know; but if it's a larger school, chances are she won't know. The thing is that if a paramedic is acting as a "school nurse" then they would have the same probability of knowing about a single students health problems as an RN acting in the role of a "school nurse" would. The level of provider does not dictate whether or not they will be onsite or offsite.

Either way, in this case 911 will more than likely be called and that will all be part of the history taking.
Highly doubtful, I know of some school nurses who operate on a large school base, and even do multiple schools at once, and still know there kids who have serious health issues that need monitoring. There are only so many kids with life or death health problems, keeping track of their problems isn't that hard.
I know, if they were acting as a School Nurse on a regular basis. The person in the OP was just there that one time, and had no history with student interaction.
Agreed, 911 should be called.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Highly doubtful, I know of some school nurses who operate on a large school base, and even do multiple schools at once, and still know there kids who have serious health issues that need monitoring. There are only so many kids with life or death health problems, keeping track of their problems isn't that hard.
I know, if they were acting as a School Nurse on a regular basis. The person in the OP was just there that one time, and had no history with student interaction.
Agreed, 911 should be called.

Agreed, that person should not have been misrepresenting themselves, however, that no longer seems to be the issue.

And I know of some school nurses who operate in multiple schools and can maybe point out 10 students total who have "life-threatening" illnesses.

I do have an additional question, regarding the teaching of health classes by a school nurse. Wouldn't they require some sort of teaching degree in order to teach those classes? Thereby misrepresenting themselves as teachers...

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Agreed, that person should not have been misrepresenting themselves, however, that no longer seems to be the issue.

And I know of some school nurses who operate in multiple schools and can maybe point out 10 students total who have "life-threatening" illnesses.

I do have an additional question, regarding the teaching of health classes by a school nurse. Wouldn't they require some sort of teaching degree in order to teach those classes? Thereby misrepresenting themselves as teachers...
Agreed, and it was the issue the whole time. The other part of my issue was they don't have the proper certification for the job. And teaching the basics of health and nutrition would fall into patient education I would assume. Also, there certification includes education and teaching credits.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Except, the way you originally worded your thread was that you didn't agree with EMTs / Paramedics working in the capacity as a primary care provider, not that they were misrepresenting a title.

That may be what you meant, but that's not what you wrote, and that's why this thread turned out this way.

Especially saying Paramedics should only work as 'techs'. Sorry, I'm not a technician.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Agreed, and it was the issue the whole time. The other part of my issue was they don't have the proper certification for the job. And teaching the basics of health and nutrition would fall into patient education I would assume. Also, there certification includes education and teaching credits.

I didn't say it was never the issue, I'm saying it has been addressed and we've moved onto bigger things. As far as certification goes, an RN representing a school nurse wouldn't be certified either, she doesn't have that certification yet. Should an EMTB have been wearing a shirt that says "School Nurse"? I guess not. Will I lose sleep over it? Absolutely, it's one of the many problems that plagues my thoughts on a daily basis.

Ah, but does that qualify them as a teacher? I think not. Am I going to continue carrying on an entire Q&A with myself? Totally.

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Except, the way you originally worded your thread was that you didn't agree with EMTs / Paramedics working in the capacity as a primary care provider, not that they were misrepresenting a title.

That may be what you meant, but that's not what you wrote, and that's why this thread turned out this way.

Especially saying Paramedics should only work as 'techs'. Sorry, I'm not a technician.
I don't agree with them being the primary care provider in an educational setting without the proper education, as should any good citizen. They were misrepresenting there title, when I said "function", I meant a tag that said "School Nurse."
Are you not a Emergency Medical Technician ? And I'm sorry, but you also don't have the proper certification or education to function at the best level in educational setting. Now, if you had some additional training, then it would be different.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant

Except to teach a class in a school on a regular basis you need a teaching license from that state. Which can be obtained either by getting a degree in education, or having a bachelors and obtaining a teaching endorsement (you take several courses for this after obtaining your initial degree, a teaching class during nursing school does not suffice).

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I don't agree with them being the primary care provider in an educational setting without the proper education, as should any good citizen. They were misrepresenting there title, when I said "function", I meant a tag that said "School Nurse."
Are you not a Emergency Medical Technician ? And I'm sorry, but you also don't have the proper certification or education to function at the best level in educational setting. Now, if you had some additional training, then it would be different.

Neither does an RN...

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Neither does an RN...
An RN does most certainly they have completed the certificate exam and passed the exam. I never said any plain RN is a School Nurse, they too would have to have a certificate.

OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
Except to teach a class in a school on a regular basis you need a teaching license from that state. Which can be obtained either by getting a degree in education, or having a bachelors and obtaining a teaching endorsement (you take several courses for this after obtaining your initial degree, a teaching class during nursing school does not suffice).
So why do School Nurses teach students about health, puberty, hygiene, and nutrition all the time and not get into legal trouble ? It is one thing to actually teach a class on a regular basis, and another to have a meeting with the students regarding the topics in the health room. Which is what I am talking about. As I said, the School Nurse didn't teach it all the time, he came in only to go over the above topics in more detail, and the Health Educator did the rest.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
G
So why do School Nurses teach students about health, puberty, hygiene, and nutrition all the time and not get into legal trouble ? It is one thing to actually teach a class on a regular basis, and another to have a meeting with the students regarding the topics in the health room. Which is what I am talking about. As I said, the School Nurse didn't teach it all the time, he came in only to go over the above topics in more detail, and the Health Educator did the rest.

Please read my post. Notice I said on a regular basis. You made it sound in previous posts that the nurse or school health care provider (see what I did there? That could be a paramedic or nurse) was teaching a health course completely.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
An RN does most certainly they have completed the certificate exam and passed the exam. I never said any plain RN is a School Nurse, they too would have to have a certificate.

Maybe my reading comprehension isn't what it used to be?

So by that measure an RN and a paramedic are both perfectly capable of performing as a school nurse with just a little extra knowledge and a piece of paper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Are you not a Emergency Medical Technician ?
Nope, I'm a Paramedic.

And I'm sorry, but you also don't have the proper certification or education to function at the best level in educational setting. Now, if you had some additional training, then it would be different.

So... I am unable to care for 1,000 students effectively, but I am more than capable of dealing with a population of 100,000 in an entire county as the only advanced provider on scene, including those 1,000 students when the nurse needs help?

That make sense to anyone else?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Katy

Katy

Forum Lieutenant
G

Please read my post. Notice I said on a regular basis. You made it sound in previous posts that the nurse or school health care provider (see what I did there? That could be a paramedic or nurse) was teaching a health course completely.
The Health Educator was a teacher, and did not hold an RN or Paramedic degree. No, I said that in my case they switched in and out, and that in some places I know of School Nurses do teach health classes.

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
The Health Educator was a teacher, and did not hold an RN or Paramedic degree. No, I said that in my case they switched in and out, and that in some places I know of School Nurses do teach health classes.

Then they are unqualified and misrepresenting themselves as a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.