Scenerio ; It's the big one !!!

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm putting the construction workers and the contractors supplies on latrine duty, except for the generator and lights, want those for the treatment area. This may well be a personnel overload, I'll keep an eye on them.

Red Cross and Salvation Army can coordinate among themselves regarding food and sheltering, but, I'd like them to report make to me and/or ops once a shift, at least. Passing on contact information from the resturants and the rafters to SA/ARC. ARC, can we possibly set up a few tents, based on size, near the staging area for command staff?

As for the HAMs, I want the mobile comm center at staging, lets start getting some of the other set ups to the churches, as requested by Ops.

Stepping on Ops' toes here, get the engine and her crew filled with water and to the Foursquare Church. While they're at it, if there room, take the other 4 fire fighters with them. The rafting guides can take over medical assuming Ops is ok with that.

Um, the ranch's truck, is that a water tank, or a fuel tank (yes, I'm still on that fuel issue)?

Plans - Logistics, Roger holding off on the trans-lake evac.

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Logistics , you're doing pretty good . A couple suggestions though . Remember , if this were the real deal , you'd need to appoint dept. heads to split up the work load as needed . Remember , no more than 5 to 7 people or units under your direct control . I was hoping we'd get more folks involved so we could play this out better . Your direct staff may look something like this ; ( if I can get this contraption to work right )

Logistics

Medical supply shelter and warmth food & water

ops support staging and rehab transportation

These are simplified , not the official titles , but more job specific . Each of these dept. heads would have thier own staff .

By way of suggestion , the comm center may be better used at the command post vs staging .

Be careful not to step on ops. toes , though we haven't heard from him yet , the last thing we need are hard feelings . We all need to work together well .

Ops direct staff may look like this ;

Ops

Medical Fire control Rescue Utility control

Security

As in your case , each of his dept. heads will have thier own staff to work under thier control .
Ops. , your utility control teams would be used for just that . Securing the utilities of homes too badly damaged to be used to prevent fire . In a situation where there isn't such a large fire problem , utility and fire control can be combined .

Logistics - to answer your question the ranch truck does carry water . Normally used to fill water troughs and for ranch fire protection ( you've got a light fire truck there . )

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Logistics , if ops were to request a rundown on crews that could be used to clear streets to support thier mission , what do you have available ?

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Sean, thank you.

How about ops support, for now. Oh, however, for today, I'll promote you to deputy logistics, as I'll be away from the computer.

For road clearance, in case ops wants it...

We've got a tow truck, and for the moment, the ranch truck. There's also those busses from the rafting company that could potentially push vehicles out of the road, although I'd be hesistant about using them in fear of damaging our patient transport capabilities. Nearly forgot, we've got a tree trimming rig as well, they can potentially be jury rigged.

Go ahead and move the comm center to command.

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Fairly certain I would deny any and all involvement in EMS at any point in my life. Any point. Maybe loot for beer.

Egg

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
I figured somebody'd wimp out . When I posted the scenerio on the other site , I was amazed at how many said they wouldn't respond . You guys ROCK ! Maybe I'm old fashioned but I believe people in emergency services have an obligation to thier communities to do thier jobs in time of disaster when they're needed most . During Katrina , an emergency manager had his entire staff not show up for duty . These were paid pros . When Ham operators got there , he was trying to run his entire county's ops by himself . Volunteer hams stepped in and gave him the help he needed . It's a sad state of things when paid pros won't respond to a disaster , but the very vollies they like to put down step up to the plate . How professional are they really ? If I offend anybody , sorry , it's not intentional , just stating an opinion .

The number 1 reason many didn't want to respond was concern for thier families , that's why I set up this scenerio differently with the family having warm shelter and thier needs met from the get go . The ICS setup is also a new approach . I figured it'd be less intimidating and more educational . I was hoping for more involvement though , but that's okay . From what I hear , ICS isn't used country wide yet and I don't know what they use overseas , so hopefully this'll give folks an introduction . The town used is my town , Wofford Hieghts , in the Kern River Valley . The town has many of the resources in the scenerio . In our valley we have 12 communities scattered over a wide area , 3 KCFD fire stations , each staffed with 3 and covering several communities each . Forset Service and BLM help in fire season . Total of 6 ambulances ( not all staffed ) , and 14 earthquake faults , 1 of which capable of a mag. 7 . Sorry about the rambling , I thought I'd give you some background . This is a likely scenerio .

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Okay guys ,

I never claimed I could spell . Welcome aboard Sean . Anybody else want in ? Ops , are you out there ? Haven't heard from you in a while .

Craig

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Ops support isn't an official name but I was using it as an example . If this was really used , it would be to directly support Ops in his mission . Examples would be ;

equipment and personnel shuttles
road clearing
debris removal
water supply for firefighting ( improvised tanker shuttle )
bringing rehab supplies to crews on the line
camp setup and teardown
assist medical branch with creative scrounging
cribbing aquirement
etc.

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
By assisting medical branch , I mean scrounging things like splinting material , blankets , sheets , sleeping bags , cots , improvised backboards , etc. This frees thier scroungers for actual medical supplies .

Backboards will run out real quick and can be improvised with doors and plywood .

Blankets are worth thier wieght in gold .

Sleeping bags - same as above .

Sheets can be used for burn sheets , cut into bandages , or used to secure pts. on stretchers or bb's .

Towels can be used for bleeding control , improvised head blocks , or cleanup .

In a disaster , you'll need to learn to improvise . Your supplies will run out quick . Be creative .

When I hear from Ops. , we'll get going again .

Ops from plans , weather is beginning to clear . Reccomend helo LZ be set up along the lakeshore at tillie creek campground . Will need traffic control and security details . Valley wide command has informed us the bridges on one route to town are damaged but usable per Caltrans Engineers and they're working on the rockslides . Air and ground transport safer , reccomend boat shuttle be cancelled .

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Plans from Logistics, Recommend we lauch a search for Ops, he's been MIA for too long.

BTW, I think you're de facto IC since no one else volunteered.

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
I think ops may have run screaming for the hills . Maybe if ops support's willing , we can promote him to that spot . Things are looking up , we should get help soon .

How do you like the role playing ? Does it make it a little more interesting and fun ?

I think you're right about IC . ( boy , are we in trouble ! )

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
I think you're right about Ops.

The role playing is great. This is the first tabletop ICS I've done, all my others we've actually sent people out in the field, and the two where I've been involved in the ICS structure, and not just a resource for them to send out, were real life events. You learn it all real fast when it's for real.

LOL about being in trouble.

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
You're doing good . By way of suggestion , remember to keep track of your resources coming in and going out .

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
IC, what do you want OPs to be taking care of? If you give me some objectives, I'll look into the details of getting them taken care of.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
The Big One

Ok Sean I'm back you still have ops I will take whatever role you need, if I might suggest since initial rescue is underway lets work on the transportation issues to insure we can get back to triage area. We need to rest and rehab our crews before we can start more in depth rescue operations,

OP
OP
C

certguy

Forum Captain
Welcome back ops , did you have a nice nap ?

Okay guys , The fire at the foursquare church is our new priority for fire suppresion to protect the trapped victims . If we hit it quick , we could still save them .

Rescue is underway , are the teams just working our priority areas or are they now into the community as well ?

The weather is clearing , our best LZ is along the lakeshore by Tillie Creek campground and is big enough to land at least 10 - 12 birds at a time . There are 2 access roads , the best is through the campground , exept for speedbumps , it's pretty good road , the other is rough , dirt road that intersects with this one . We'll need to move pts on the smooth road and cargo on the rough one . We need traffic and crowd control and a security detail for the LZ . We need to mark the LZ and have a radio contact . Freq. will be 145.805 on the Ham 2 meter simplex .

Medical will need to begin mobilizing thier pts. to the LZ , coordinate with logistics on that . Red tags go first , the road should be open soon , yellow tags can go by ground .

Logistics , valley wide command has told me when the weather clears , we will recieve the following resources ;

Fresh command staff
FEMA reps.
2 USAR search and rescue teams
1 army field hospital
2 army field kitchens
1 field communications team
6 rescue dog teams

When the road opens , we will have ;

4 strike teams of type 1 engines
6 water tenders
4 strike teams of ambulances
1 strike team of heavy equipment ( mixed dozers and loaders/backhoes )
2 strike teams of utility maintenance from CAL - EDISON

Let me know what immediate needs we have so they can be flown in .

Logistics and Ops from IC - meet with your dept. heads and I'll need a full report on your status to pass on to the new IC . ( if this were real )

seanm028

Forum Lieutenant
I agree that Foursquare should be our main priority right now. I think we should send all FFs except maybe two, as well as whatever apparatus we can spare that might help (mainly water tankers). We might want to set up a smaller, temporary medical post there to deal with the victims coming out of there, since there will probably be a lot. Logistics can probably organize the details, but I recommend 1-2 triage officers and some medical personnel. A shuttle might also be a good idea to transport patients to the main medical area once they've been stabilized at the temporary Foursquare med center, I'll try to get ahold of a pick up truck or something similar.

I'll try to get ahold of some high visibility, reflective items for marking the LZ, traffic cones at the very least. Maybe some flares for night. Some sort of improvised wind sock would also probably help the pilots, although that's not a priority.