Scene Safe?

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
They're out there.

emtstation600 said:
How Dumb can one person be?

As you have shown... very freakin dumb.

Dont ever go into a place if you see any weapon, hear a dog, hear violent arguments, or cannot account for all people inside. Dont close any doors behind you as you make your way through an establishment... especially if you have an uneasy feeling. Also, dont go into ANY bar without PD. Dont go into any suicide call, stabbing, or gunshot call without PD. Dont go into a call in a bad neighborhood without PD. If you work in a big city, go buy yourself a Kevlar. Lastly, NEVER push narcan unless the patient is securely strapped down.... never never never never never never never neeeeeveeeer do that please.

Trust you instincts. If you have none, like the other guy that emtstation600 was working with, then go work in the ER before you get yourself killed.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
This thread raises all sorts of red flags with me. I have been around guns my whole life. Hunting my whole life, 7 years in the Army, I also have a concealed weapons permit. It takes absolutely no time whatsoever to pick up a loaded gun and kill someone. Going into a situation where the pt has easy access to a weapon of any kind is never neccessary.

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
But wasnt the initial situation in this discussion of finding a hunter lying in a prone position on his firearm?

I would have rolled him very carefully off the fire arm and had him boarded and begin treatment and another person perhaps medic or officer would dis-arm the gun safetly by walking away from the group, pressing the safety lock button, empty out the ammo, and leave the chamber open, and hand the firearm over to the authorities now responsible for the firearm.

Again I think this would have been an instance where gun-safety and education for EMS personnel would come in handy. This might be especially useful in rural area where you are called to a hunter incident. (There was a call for a hunter stuck upside down in his stand for 8 hrs over the weekend - hes now in critical condition for kidney failure)

Now if you are entering a home with a patient with a Hx of mental disorders and has a gun next to him within his reach, then that is when you need to back out of the scene.

-CP