Scariest Moment in EMS

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
Yea I'd say that's about the point I'd be hitting my panic button and shutting off my radio so homeboy doesn't here the world responding to his address emergent.

Oh how lucky you are. The panic button on our radios are disabled :blink:. Now it just serves as the scan on/off button. That and with my company, if you request PD, our dispatch is going to want to know why, all the while delaying getting PD enroute to us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Oh how lucky you are. The panic button on our radios are disabled :blink:. Now it just serves as the scan on/off button.

We test our panic buttons at the start of every shift.

They don't get used that often but they do get used, and they have saved a few lives. The way this city is headed it would be negligent to send us out there without them.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh how lucky you are. The panic button on our radios are disabled :blink:. Now it just serves as the scan on/off button. That and with my company, if you request PD, our dispatch is going to want to know why, all the while delaying getting PD enroute to us.

Same here you must manually call PD, Dispatch asks for a reason too, So I'm sure the guy who was a gun pointed at you wants to here you calling for help.

Scariest call, Being called for a "suicide attempt" it was state police jurisdiction and they didn't have a car available at the moment. We rolled up to have some guy who looked like a undead hillbilly round the corner with a shotgun. State Police found a car real fast for us then.

Spookiest was this one ED we used to go to before the hospital closed down it hadn't been remodeled in probably 60 years, But it always reminded me of the setup in the Saw Movies where jigsaw lies when he was dying from cancer

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
See, I'd never go into that scene until PD was there...different areas I guess.

We stage on self inflicted GSWs, some crews will go in, not me. Self inflicted, per who, is my question.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
See, I'd never go into that scene until PD was there...different areas I guess.

We stage on self inflicted GSWs, some crews will go in, not me. Self inflicted, per who, is my question.

True very true, One of my more famous quotes is "it don't say HERO on my paycheck"

Problem is I worked in a rural area where police where often not on duty or non exsistant, at night they would have one state police patrol car for the county. so if he was coming from the opposite side at a good pace it would still take an hour.

Where I am at now PD shows up on all EMS calls unless truly tied up, if its questionable whether PD should roll Dispatch advises to stage.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I used to work where we could get PD at the drop of a hat, usually right after you trip over the steps, and they fall out of the car's laughing.

Here if we are outside our home area it may take up to 1-2 hours for PD to show (and that is if it is important, like you are being shot at) otherwise it maybe a couple of days before they get there

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
My scariest:

Walked in the mobile home of a frequent flyer with a fairly new partner: we talked to him for a couple of minutes (Usually he called, we talked to him, we left with a refusal: he was lonely more than anything). This time he got between us and the door, and as he was talking he walked by the kitchen Island and grabbed a handgun off of it. he never pointed it at us, but in our general direction.

Our radios had the orange emergency button, but every time someone hit it, dispatch would say "Unit XX you are in emergency status, do you need help" real useful. I had a shoulder mike on, reached to the radio, turned the volume down, and keyed it up and held if for 15 minutes, while I was talking to the man. (Dispatch could block out that radio dispatch so that it didn't lock out the entire channel; and put it onto an ops channel).

I talked to him, nicely; along the lines of "sir, you don't want to hold a gun on us" etc, later I heard that dispatch got over 100 radio calls on the main channel about us (including a crew screwing around). Nice thing the radio ID'd to dispatch who we were, and they knew where we were.

We finally were able to talk to him, and move to the door as I was backing out, right behind my partner (who as she went out the door she disappeared {that scared me as much as the guy with the gun} turned out a cop grabbed her and threw her off the porch). I cleared the door, with the guy right behind me, I jumped off the porch and a K-9 took out the guy.

Glucatron

Forum Crew Member
My scariest:

Walked in the mobile home of a frequent flyer with a fairly new partner: we talked to him for a couple of minutes (Usually he called, we talked to him, we left with a refusal: he was lonely more than anything). This time he got between us and the door, and as he was talking he walked by the kitchen Island and grabbed a handgun off of it. he never pointed it at us, but in our general direction.

Our radios had the orange emergency button, but every time someone hit it, dispatch would say "Unit XX you are in emergency status, do you need help" real useful. I had a shoulder mike on, reached to the radio, turned the volume down, and keyed it up and held if for 15 minutes, while I was talking to the man. (Dispatch could block out that radio dispatch so that it didn't lock out the entire channel; and put it onto an ops channel).

I talked to him, nicely; along the lines of "sir, you don't want to hold a gun on us" etc, later I heard that dispatch got over 100 radio calls on the main channel about us (including a crew screwing around). Nice thing the radio ID'd to dispatch who we were, and they knew where we were.

We finally were able to talk to him, and move to the door as I was backing out, right behind my partner (who as she went out the door she disappeared {that scared me as much as the guy with the gun} turned out a cop grabbed her and threw her off the porch). I cleared the door, with the guy right behind me, I jumped off the porch and a K-9 took out the guy.

That's crazy!

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Working a GSW victim DEEP in the woods/dope growing country at night with 6 officers around us with m16s guarding us since the shooter was hiding or bailed into the woods. Was the best experience for my intern at the time she could possibly have.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
My scariest moment would be driving thru the middle of hurricane Sandy code 3 (required to). 2 EMT/Medics up front and 6 EMT/Medics in the back of a type II ambulance. We were passing semi trucks that were flipped over from the wind. Windshield wipers were being ripped off the ambulances from the wind. We were entering a tunnel in East Pennsylvania and started to hydroplane. As soon as we felt the back end of the ambulance start to slide to the side all of us in back gave a death stair and quickly grabbed anything we could hold on to.

Luckily the Medic who was driving was able to steer into the slide in the middle if the tunnel and get the ambulance under control.