SBCFD introduces ambulance operator program

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Dude, where? I know Redlands city seems like overkill sometimes but that just might take the take.
Some parts deep in yucaipa and calimesa. Having 4 engines and an ambulance all on a small residential street was unique. Neighbors coming out of there houses asking "do we need to evacuate?"

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Some parts deep in yucaipa and calimesa. Having 4 engines and an ambulance all on a small residential street was unique. Neighbors coming out of there houses asking "do we need to evacuate?"
Hahahaha wow.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Speaking about waisted resources the area I am doing my medic internship at has an area where they will send out 1 BLS Fire engine, 3 ALS Fire engines, and 1 ALS ambulance for any 911 call that comes in.
4 engines for a medical?? That's almost as much as a structure fire response here. Yikes I thought it was bad when we dispatch a ladder truck and an engine plus ambulance (truck because it's the closest, engine is ALS, ambulance is BLS)

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
4 engines for a medical?? That's almost as much as a structure fire response here. Yikes I thought it was bad when we dispatch a ladder truck and an engine plus ambulance (truck because it's the closest, engine is ALS, ambulance is BLS)
Seriously man, whenever I visit my grandparents in Glendale and see a massive ladder truck rolling code 3 through those packed apartment streets......I respect the EMD system in San Bernardino City a whole lot more.

Angel

Paramedic
3 is just ridiculous. You know those guys probably think the same...we're lucky if the engine stays on our entire call.
(One day, toward the end of an assessment, I looked up and they were gone.) not something I'm used to

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Seriously man, whenever I visit my grandparents in Glendale and see a massive ladder truck rolling code 3 through those packed apartment streets......I respect the EMD system in San Bernardino City a whole lot more.
Don't get me wrong, I'd love an EMD more than "Did they call 911? Yes-Send an Engine and Ambulance", but even on the rare occasion they wake the truckies up it's still better than 4 engines showing up routinely (not trying to bash you Desert, Lord knows my system is far from perfect..)

Personally I think that if they're gonna use the engines as ALS squads they should tone out the trucks for first response to all the other miscellaneous fire calls that aren't full assignments but oh well, at least we're not quite as bad as other departments that'll tone out a ladder truck and pumper (out of the same station) for BLS level calls as a regular first option