San Diego Employment

OP
OP
O

Orion619

Forum Probie
I finished school and applied after getting my ADL. I didn't get a call back until a month later. Can't complain, I would stick with the bigger companies though like many people have said, Pacific, Care, AMR, RM...etc.

Nice. Did you graduate recently? which school did you go to for your emt?

OP
OP
O

Orion619

Forum Probie
I've only ever seen one ER rig, and it was hella old. They do not do a lot of Code 3 I'm guessing unless they respond to SNF ER calls code 3.

After applying online, send Randy Marshman an email, and say something along the lines of that you have applied and do a quick cover letter type deal, and ask if they're currently hiring. He's in charge of the San Diego hiring. His email is here - http://www.pacificambulance.com/staff.html

I'll try that. Thanks for the tip.

OP
OP
O

Orion619

Forum Probie
DO NOT WORK HERE. Last I heard this company was being audited by the county for unsafe practices. I presume the interviewer you speak of is the company owner. An EMT at my company had worked there previously and the things he would tell me about are criminal.

Unpaid employee payroll checks (the guy I talked to was owed $2000+)
Downright horrible equipment.
He even told me a story of the owner once intercepting them on a transport, taking their patient, gurney and all, and putting them into the back of his personal van, and giving the EMTs another gurney so they could go run a call that was worth more money.

There is a reason that ER transport is always hiring. AGAIN do not work for these little companies. Some of them shouldn't be in business (like the one above) and some of them are just too small to be viable (my last partner's old company went out of business, she was owed $4000, but because they went bankrupt she got nothing)

Maybe next time when a supervisor tells you "you get to go code 3 a lot" (which is a red flag in itself) you should ask him about which contracts the company holds, contracts are a good way to judge legitimacy. Rural metro Has all Sharp contracts. Pacific has all UCSD, some Scripps, CMH, Donovan.

Be smart about it, I wouldn't want to go through the trouble of getting hired, only to find out the company I work for treats their employees horrible or is criminally negligent

You might have saved me headaches down the road. I actually did ask about the contracts since I thought Rural and AMR are the big two, I didn't quite follow his response... along the lines of "Balboa is also one of the main companies here" (El Cajon city).

Hehe, I don't know. Maybe I'm just so eager to work and almost desperate and impatient, I'm just a guy that wants 2100 hours/year for medic academy. It's only been about 4-5 days since I started looking, hopefully something pops up soon. :)

sdemtb

Forum Crew Member
I was on the 08 fall class with a funny lady instructor, short hair (I dont think we can drop names in this forum) M,W 1-5pm.

Ha I know who you're talking about and she's an amazing instructor. I did the intersession class, M-F 8AM-5PM for 3 weeks in January.

iamtran

Forum Ride Along
Awesome Professor

Hi, I know who you are talking about. I think many of us knows who you are talking about. She is an awesome professor, I came out of the Summer 08 FS 8-5pm class. Recently completed my NREMT. I am on the same boat as everyone else out there, looking for a job and such. I heard all the companies usually hire a good amount of emts around this time of year. Since a good amount of EMTs and Medic's are leaving for the San Diego Fire academy and other departments. I don't know too much, but that's what I have heard. It seems credible since San Diego Fire did just have a hiring process. My guess is that once San Diego Fire announces who they are going to hire, those EMTs and Medics positions will open up and the ambulance companies will hire a new class. That's a guess tho, I am not 100% sure if that is now it works, but it sounds very credible.

If this is true, then I expect the date for hiring the new classes of EMTs and Medics to be coming up soon.

Good Luck,

Last edited by a moderator:

Code 3

Forum Captain
AMR: Responds with Fire for some areas of SD so you have the potential to get some good downgrades :rolleyes: but mostly IFTs They pay well, their equipment is decent. They are well established nationally if you ever want to move.

AMR has the 9-1-1 contracts for Alpine, La Mesa, Imperial Beach, Chula Vista, Spring Valley, National City, South Bay, Campo, Jamul, and Bonita.

BLS rigs will sometimes respond with ALS rigs to assist and help transport. They will also be called into the rural areas for coverage when an ALS unit is out on a call.

OP
OP
O

Orion619

Forum Probie
R/M is currently hiring and this can be confirmed by calling HR or checking the job postings here:

http://public.ruralmetro.com/genera...7c2c?OpenDocument&Start=1&Count=30&Expand=3.1

If you turned in your application within the past 4 months then you should be okay.

I actually applied there first and I got an email back saying they aren't hiring (even though the website says they do). I'll call first thing tomorrow for another follow up.

edit: I remember the day I got my license, I looked up the RM website and saw the listing. It sure got my hopes up hehe.

Code 3

Forum Captain
Really? What month/day did you turn in your application? I spoke with HR this week and they claimed they were hiring and considering all applications within the past 4 months. It's a holiday weekend and their offices will be closed Monday, but definitely give HR a call on Tuesday.

The big question is when is their next scheduled orientation...

OP
OP
O

Orion619

Forum Probie
May 8. Matter of fact, I got this email from them.

Dear Recipient:
Thank you for your interest in Rural Metro/San Diego Medical Service Enterprises. A public-private partnership between Rural Metro and the City of San Diego. However, at this time, we are not actively hiring for EMT/Paramedic positions. Positions open up on an as needed basis due to company needs. However we do encourage you to fill out an application for future openings.

We keep applications actively on file for 6 months. Positions open up on an as needed basis due to our business needs. If you do not get a call within 6 months, we encourage you to re-apply. We will contact prospective applicants by telephone for interviews when positions open up. Due to a high volume of applicant inquiries, I am unable to personally contact you. Thank you for your understanding. Applications are considered complete when provided with a fully completed application and the required certifications listed below for the following positions.

Please visit our website to print out an application. You may fax it to us or mail it in. Please see the required certifications we need in order for the application to be complete and considered below. Please make sure you put all your required certifications on one page and make sure the copy comes out clear and not dark. We need front and back copies.

it goes on to listing the requirements and what not. Thanks for the heads up, I'll head on down their office right now and maybe get somewhere.

edit: holiday weekend... I'll go anyway.