'Salvaged' lung used in UK transplant

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
'Salvaged' lung used in UK transplant

Donor lungs normally rejected as too damaged can now be 'reconditioned' for transplant, say doctors.

Cystic fibrosis patient James Finlayson is the first in the UK to receive lungs revived using oxygen, nutrients and antibiotics.

Newcastle-based scientists and surgeons suggest it could eventually double the number of available organs

See story at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8415532.stm

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I see another transplant in the near future for the patient if another donor is available.

We will sometimes place a less than quality lung, heart or liver into a patient to buy some time. This is especially true for kids since donors are hard to come by. However, one adult liver can be used for two children. Unfortunately, the child may end up with a liver that comes with adult lifestyle issues. One child could easily go through 3 liver transplants in a short period of time before a good liver is found and one that his body accepts.

I can tell you it is a lot of work for the ICU staff and takes some serious medical expertise to get a patient through lung (or heart/lung) transplant when one of organs is not up to par. Even a healthy lung can get tempermental and require a lot of technology and meds if it and the recipient body don't hit it off right away.

A very famous case was Ronnie DeSillers who died while waiting for a 4th liver. Unfortunately the issues surrounding his mother over shadowed the good of those who showed her son support and those who tried to save his life.

OP
OP
SanDiegoEmt7

SanDiegoEmt7

Forum Captain
I see another transplant in the near future for the patient if another donor is available.

We will sometimes place a less than quality lung, heart or liver into a patient to buy some time. This is especially true for kids since donors are hard to come by. However, one adult liver can be used for two children. Unfortunately, the child may end up with a liver that comes with adult lifestyle issues. One child could easily go through 3 liver transplants in a short period of time before a good liver is found and one that his body accepts.

I can tell you it is a lot of work for the ICU staff and takes some serious medical expertise to get a patient through lung (or heart/lung) transplant when one of organs is not up to par. Even a healthy lung can get tempermental and require a lot of technology and meds if it and the recipient body don't hit it off right away.

A very famous case was Ronnie DeSillers who died while waiting for a 4th liver. Unfortunately the issues surrounding his mother over shadowed the good of those who showed her son support and those who tried to save his life.

Even if it only creates more less than quality organs, isn't this still a good thing if not only to buy people time for quality organs?