Salary for EMT-B

NyceFella2

Forum Ride Along
In NYC, what is the going starting salary for an EMT-B?

I just got a call back from SeniorCare. I am nervous that i will not be able to survive on thier starting salary, so I need to prepare myself and I would like to know if there is an increase in salary in the near future (after a few months or a year)?

If you have any info, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Ive heard in general EMT-B salary is bad in most places.

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
yes you can survive, I am in NYC and I hear transports are paying around 10 / hr. if you work 8 hour days thats 80 a day. take out your taxes, and you have 50 a day.

in march we have 22 weekdays, thats .. a whopping 1100 dollars a month !

you can totally survive !

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
take out your taxes, and you have 50 a day.

Here I Canada that is how much a school bus driver makes. EMT are under payed in my books for what they do daily.

Scott33

Forum Asst. Chief
yes you can survive, I am in NYC and I hear transports are paying around 10 / hr. if you work 8 hour days thats 80 a day. take out your taxes, and you have 50 a day.

in march we have 22 weekdays, thats .. a whopping 1100 dollars a month !

you can totally survive !

What do you pay in rent?

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
The man asked if he can survive, I am sure he can. He will live like a bum in the worse places in town, with too many roommates, but it is survival none the less. Not a bad situation if one intends to go to paramedic school which is pretty cheap at BMCC or La Guardia CC...

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
When I first worked as an EMT in 2002, it was for $9.50 at Hunter Ambulance (Inwood). Metrocare was paying $10/hr, and Citywide was around $9/hr. It saddens me to see that the privates still pay the same starting salary. $400 gross/week in 2002 is much less than $400 gross in 2012, considering inflation.

You'll be left with around $300 after taxes or so, since you're probably paying city taxes in addition to state and federal. That's approx. $1,200/month to live on, with two extra paychecks a year, due to there being 26 pay periods in 12 months.

We look at a full time schedule as an necessary inconvenience to access time and a half OT. Many of us also work part time for other employers. If you don't mind working upwards of 60 hours a week, you can survive with a combination of OT and per diem work.

Welcome to EMS. this is how we get trapped. We learn to count on OT and a second job to survive. Our expenses eventually match this income, so we have no choice but to continue like this.

If you can schedule some doubles, 12's, or even 10 hour shifts if available, you'll have more free time to work on other days. If you can land an all night schedule, you'll have free time for school.

Good luck, and get yourself a degree of some sort so that you have a way out, even though it may seem like you don't need a way out right now. At the least, get your medic (NY Methodist, my almer mater, has evening classes 1800-2200), get your NR-P, so that you can easily move out of state for a better standard of living and actually own these things called houses and retirement accounts.

I left NY for this reason. It was fun, but nearly all of my income went to paying bills, and it was looking to remain that way until I retire at 72 straight into a nursing home.

Justice

Forum Crew Member
$20.52 EMT-B $26.$$ for Medics. (its 26 and change dont know what the change is) We dont use EMT-I.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Again, is it traditional single role EMS, or something else?

Plus, that site is kind of misleading, as most EMS agencies I know don't work strict 40hr work weeks. Otherwise, my pay would be about ~$21.32.

Justice

Forum Crew Member
Again, is it traditional single role EMS, or something else?

Plus, that site is kind of misleading, as most EMS agencies I know don't work strict 40hr work weeks. Otherwise, my pay would be about ~$21.32.

Commercial, We do 911 and IFT.

A smaller company near us actually pays more but they only do IFT since 911 tends to not pay the biills.

It is a 40hr work week at the pay rates I stated. We have people making over 100k a year.

Also I read an article a few years ago about Boston EMS making over 100k a year with OT but still the pay rate up there is around what we make.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
@justice boston ems from what I heard had EMT-B starting off at 20$. Paramedics at around 30$. I am not sure how accurate this information was though.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
@justice boston ems from what I heard had EMT-B starting off at 20$. Paramedics at around 30$. I am not sure how accurate this information was though.
Thats a lot better then what I have heard.

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
@steveb ya I know. However the amount of hiring* -.- they do is minimal every year. Not to mention how many people want that job and are applying. I also hear they only work 8 hour shifts? So that their emts/medics don't burn out. Anyways every other place around here pays 12-14$ starting. With a few probably going as high as 16$ and some going as low as 10$.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
to make ends meet, there are many places that gives food for free. there is one at 116th street off the B train, has dinner and groceries. plenty more places you can just goggle food pantry or food bank.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
to make ends meet, there are many places that gives food for free. there is one at 116th street off the B train, has dinner and groceries. plenty more places you can just goggle food pantry or food bank.

You aren't adding anything to this thread, my friend.

I make $12/hr as an Intermediate. Working 48 hours/week I usually bring home ~1900/month after taxes, sometimes more if we get held over or I pick up an OT shift.

For a single dude with one roommate it works just fine.

I'm not in NYC and my cost of living is lower so you have to take that into account.

Miscusi

Forum Lieutenant
You aren't adding anything to this thread, my friend.

Oh, I didnt know the EMT community already knows about the free food.. I do know that they know about the food stamps, but the soup kitchens and pantrys I thought was less well known...