Safety First????

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
As I read down the page of this news article, it looks as if safety had not been adhered to as well as it could have been.
I'm not sure why an FF and 3 Ambulance staff also had to be treated at this gas leak incident?

Your thoughts?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/manawatu-standard/news/7901768/Whanganui-gas-leak-critically-injures-two

This article does not provide nearly enough information to make any sort of determination as to why some responders were exposed to the gas leak.

Forum Crew Member
Indeed one can speculate but there is not really any details to base any theories off. I guess you could go with the generic "they didn't know what they had rushed into a scene without stopping to figure out what was really going on" scenerio but that's not really fair to say that about those responders without any evidence to back it up.

OP
OP
enjoynz

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
This article does not provide nearly enough information to make any sort of determination as to why some responders were exposed to the gas leak.

I agree with you there Tigger....although prehaps I should have gone into a little more detail.

I use to work at a Poultry Processing Factory which also used dangerous chemicals.
They had an emergency response team on site, who were trained to kit up and retrieve patients to a safety point, so that the emergency services could deal with them from there.
I wonder if this did not happen at this incident or that the emergency workers put themselves in danger retrieving the patients before FD had the right gear put into place?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
http://www.3news.co.nz/Most-workers...-leak/tabid/423/articleID/275310/Default.aspx

The two worst were at the site of the leak, presumably trying to stop it and prevent a mini-Bhopal. Co-workers ran to help.
Probably the level of occupation of the plant on that day time of the week dictated the size of the response.
By this point the gas, the very poisonous hydrogen sulphide, was taking hold.

An employee's account:

'I tried to run but halfway down the step I knew straight away something was wrong to my mind and I can see, but I don't know what I'm seeing,"'says Mr Koroi.

When he reached the last step he blacked out.

'When they arrived there they [said] my face was down on the floor and they tried to turn me around and they dragged me out.'

3 News has learned the gas leak occurred because sulphuric acid was added at the wrong point in the tanning process".

Last edited by a moderator: