Rule 500

mpena

Forum Probie
Would anyone have any information why Colorado Rule 500 was repealed or what was put in it's place? I know not everyone will have any specifics but hoping to find someone to shed some light on this.

:excl:RULE 500 - DEFINING THE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES MEDICAL DIRECTORS AND THE AUTHORIZED MEDICAL ACTS OF EMERGENCY MEDICAL TECHNICIANS - Repealed eff. 01/01/2011

I cannot find anything that is now in place of this or if this means I cannot use this rule as official or credible.

Any info. greatly appreciated..

JPINFV

Gadfly
If you can get access to the text, was there a sunset clause in it?

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
Go to the CDPHEEMTS website. Acts allowed is still there, but it's no longer called Rule 500. It changed because the BME no longer oversees EMS, it's now under the EMPAC. Same idea, just different folks in charge.

Jeff

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
Of course, after I posted I saw that the acts allowed are indeed not up. I talked to a buddy that goes to the meetings and he says it's down because they're working on the document. If it's that important, call CDPHE, they'll sort you. The guy you want is Nick Boukas.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
What Jeff said.
I remember hearing not too long ago that they simply changed who oversees the rules.

Maybe Jeff can come back and let us know what's coming down the drain in regards to rule 500. I had the privilege to attend the Rocky Mountain Trauma Conference in Vail recently and when I got my CE hours from Denver Health it had a little piece of paper that mentioned a community care paramedic program at Denver Health. Is rule 500 looking at making some of the stuff WECAD is doing as part of acts allowed?

I also heard through the grape vine that they were looking at making an actual critical care paramedic cert for colorado.

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
I don't go to those meetings anymore (thank you, Jebus), but I don't recall a ton of changes to "The Rule". I think it'll be about the same when they're done. I'm sure some stuff will change, but not loads. I'll trynto get an idea and get back to you. One of the guys on EMPAC is at WECAD and is a friend, I'll see what he has to say.

As far as the CC paramedic thing, I've heard talk about it, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. That's more work for state gov't, and they're sticking to NR stuff for now. CC paramedic at DH? That's news to me. I know some are pushing for it, but I did not know it was being offered. Weird, since that side of 6th ave is my shop.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
I don't go to those meetings anymore (thank you, Jebus), but I don't recall a ton of changes to "The Rule". I think it'll be about the same when they're done. I'm sure some stuff will change, but not loads. I'll trynto get an idea and get back to you. One of the guys on EMPAC is at WECAD and is a friend, I'll see what he has to say.

As far as the CC paramedic thing, I've heard talk about it, but I don't think it'll happen anytime soon. That's more work for state gov't, and they're sticking to NR stuff for now. CC paramedic at DH? That's news to me. I know some are pushing for it, but I did not know it was being offered. Weird, since that side of 6th ave is my shop.
Yeah I was so sure I read it I had to flick through the pile of papers I got from the conference.

There was an attachment at the end of the CE credits that were given out that had a discount code on DH EMS classes. On the last page of the document it said:
Community Paramedic Program
New program starting fall of 2011
Initial and continuing education

Considering fall is coming soon and you haven't heard about it I will safely assume that it's probably not taking place ;). But it is interesting that it was on the hand out that I got.

And to the OP: here is the link to rule 500 if you were looking to reference it.
http://www.dora.state.co.us/medical/rules/500.pdf
These ones are from 2007 but if you just wanted to reference some stuff from there the old ones should work for most things.

OP
OP
M

mpena

Forum Probie
I really appreciate the input. The main reason I ask is cause a few people at the station have made some arguments regarding rule 500 so I looked it up to reference it and it says it was repealed. Just wondering if that meant it is thrown out completely or if it was being modified.

OP
OP
M

mpena

Forum Probie
Well me and another friend were recently hired for a local agency and he is already trying to argue the emtb scope of practice in Colorado saying that a basic can do anything as long as medical control or medical director allows it. A supervisor is trying to explain his view but this guy insists he is right. My only input was that I told him there are only some certain areas a basic can do with medical director oversight but I wasn't sure exactly since the list is pretty long. I was going to reference to rule 500500 then saw it was repealed. Wasn't too sure if it was still credible info... nothing serious about the debate but his head yet exploded after he got this job

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
I'm whipped and leaving town so I'll make this short.
EMT-B CANNOT do anything [/I] regardless of who says so. The scope of practice holds true no matter what cert level one holds. If a med director wishes for more, there's an extensive waiver process. This is something that I know loads about. I wrote our waivers for droperidol, surg cric, ped king tubes and one other one I can't recall. It's a long and laborious process and just because an agency applies for a waiver it does not mean the governing body grant it.

Rule 500 is indeed gone, but I think you can still use it to settle an argument. The new changes are very minor and mostly address EMT-A. Everything else is minutiae. I'm still waiting to hear back on it's new location.

The CC medic thing has only been broughtnup in passing, no movement there.

PM me with an email and I'll send you then last rendition of the rule.

Please excuse any grammatical errors as this is being composed on an iPad and I'm too tired to proof it and still havento pack and get the house ready so my mother in law can sit for my dogs. Godspeed to her, they're a PITA.

Jeff