Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital (NJ)

OP
OP
N

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks - I always thought UMDNJ and Cooper were the only Level 1s in NJ.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
They have been for a while, ever since they made a big push towards expanding their system, adding hospitals and developing the relationship with St Petes. The city got behind them and have marketed themselves as "The Healthcare City". 3 level 1s in NJ, and there is a big drop off from 1 to 2

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
NJ has its own standards for level I and II. Many of the NJ level II hospitals meet criteria for ACS level I. Anyhow, RWJ has been NJ level I for some time now.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Besides having trauma teams staffed 24/7 and doing research with a university, nj requires 600 treats or more to be level 1

Level 2 must have a trauma team availible, but not in the trauma or ER, in some they are part of ICU must have minimum 350 treats and must work with Level 1s on research

OP
OP
N

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
As far as level 1 vs level 2 requirements in NJ, I heard that the only reason Morristown isn't a level 1 is that their OR isn't on the first floor.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
From the DOH website

Because of the large personnel and facility resources needed for patient care, education and research, most Level I trauma centers in the U.S. are university-affiliated teaching hospitals. This is the case in New Jersey, where all three Level I trauma centers are hospitals which are affiliated with the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. A Level I trauma center is a regional resource facility and has the capability to provide total care for all aspects of trauma, from prevention through rehabilitation.

Level I trauma centers in New Jersey must treat a minimum of 600 patients per year. This is because data show there is a correlation between patient outcome and the number of procedures which a surgeon performs annually. Adequate experience with life-threatening or urgent cases is necessary for the trauma team to maintain its skills. Cost-effectiveness is also a consideration.

Level II trauma centers are also expected to provide definitive trauma care, regardless of the severity of injury. Level II trauma centers have most of the clinical capabilities of a Level I. Level II trauma centers are required to participate in trauma research conducted by the Level Is and to sponsor public and provider educational programs in cooperation with the Level I centers. Level II trauma centers must treat a minimum of 350 patients per year.

I dont know if Morristown is working with UMDNJ