RN license revoked - EMT possible?

dacerrn

Forum Ride Along
Hello all! I need some advise from you guys! I've been searching for days and cannot find my answer. I have been an RN for 10 yrs, mostly ER. After an injury, I became addicted to oppiods.... Saddest, most humiliating time of my life. After inpatient and outpatient treatment, (and continued NA/AA meetings) I am very happily sober. This whole experience has really opened up my eyes to many things. One being, I don't want to be a nurse any longer. I am planning to go back to school for a completely unrelated field. However, I do need to work while going to school. After my admitted oppiod addiction I was referred to TPAPN. If I stop this program, my RN license will be revoked. I was an EMT prior to becoming a nurse. I am told that getting reinstated only requires a 24 HR refresher course and retesting. I loved being an EMT and I do have a passion for emergency medicine. The hours and schedule would also work great with my classes. My only problem is if the BON revokes my RN license for not completing TPAPN will I even be able to get certified and work as an EMT?? (TPAPN = 3yrs program) I welcome any advise and even constructive criticism. Sorry that was so long. I tried to skip as much as possible and get to the point.

Alan L Serve

Forum Captain
TAPAN is non-punitive which means it's there to help and not hurt. Talk to your NA/AA sponsor and your mental health therapist and see what the feeling is about you getting an EMT certification.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
I believe many companies/ background checks ask about having licenses revoked/suspended.

If you got passed that depending on where you work you could have a partner that is charge of the narcs. I couldn't imagine a company would want to have you in that situation. Also it sounds like you're going to have to redo everything as far as the EMT class. I can't imagine you kept up your Cert, right? You're way passed the point of taking a refresher.

I can't imagine willingly letting your rn license get revoked would be a positive thing for you at all in the future. If you do choose too I think you're better off sticking to your plan and finding work in a completely unrelated field.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I suspect that if you stop the TPAPN program and let your RN license be revoked, it could result in you NOT being allowed to get an EMT cert due to having a license revoked for cause (related to opioid addiction/use). That also doesn't look all that good when applying for other jobs as when they do a background check on you, they'll likely find the revoked RN license and then they'll likely see any public info detailing the revocation. Ultimately they may not care but that's potentially a problem that may limit you in actually being hired.

My suggestion is this: Complete the program. Yes it's 3 years in length but what's 3 years compared to a lifetime? The time will go by pretty fast once you're in a groove of a routine. While you're in the program you should be able to get your EMT cert renewed/reactivated and go to school while working. Here's a potential problem. You'll be under a bit of stress while working as an EMT and going to school. That's a double-edged sword... the stress could tempt you back to substance abuse (even if it's "just" alcohol") or it could provide you the "proof" you need that you can undertake a bit of stress and NOT succumb to it. When you have completed the program, have your license go "inactive" so that if you later decide to return to nursing, you can. It also avoids any uncomfortable discussions with a hiring manager/HR rep in regards to a revoked license. You can simply say to them that you needed a career change.

If I were in your shoes, that's how I'd approach it. I'd want to keep open options and minimize any headaches later. Sure, someone may find a note in your nurse license file if it's made public as part of the process but there's a good possibility that such disciplinary matters may be kept internal to the BON unless your license gets revoked.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Did you divert drugs?

If not, then I think you'd make a good EMT candidate.

If so, you committed an unforgivable sin and healthcare isn't for you anymore.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Two good posts here already.

Leave healthcare is my advice. You are unwell and the propensity for addiction is there and established. Sucks, but it is and it is one hard to overcome. You are ALWAYS an addict, maybe a controlled one, but forever more you are one.

Why go into a field where you A) have a higher than normal exposure to other injuries which would end sobriety and B) one where you would be working with or around narcs or even contemplating a swipe (theft) of a patient's prescribed medicine from home for your later use "just in case"?

Summit

Critical Crazy
There are many fields in nursing where you would not deal with controlled substances (eg public health, occupational health, infection control, quality, informatics, academic educator/instructor, certified trainer, nurse navigator, cardiac rehab, research, case management, CDI, insurance nurse, call-center nurse).

Otherwise, Akulahawk's post is spot on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dacerrn

Forum Ride Along
Thank you so much for your replies. Have given me a lot to think about. No diversion of meds occurred but at the same time I understand the comment about temptation. And it is a completely valid point. I do worry about that. I can sit here all day and say I have absolutely no desire to even see another pill but when it's in my face day after day, will I feel the same? I don't want to intentionally put myself in a situation that would sabotage my recovery. Thank you again for your honest opinions! :)

Brejay 60

Forum Ride Along
Hello all! I need some advise from you guys! I've been searching for days and cannot find my answer. I have been an RN for 10 yrs, mostly ER. After an injury, I became addicted to oppiods.... Saddest, most humiliating time of my life. After inpatient and outpatient treatment, (and continued NA/AA meetings) I am very happily sober. This whole experience has really opened up my eyes to many things. One being, I don't want to be a nurse any longer. I am planning to go back to school for a completely unrelated field. However, I do need to work while going to school. After my admitted oppiod addiction I was referred to TPAPN. If I stop this program, my RN license will be revoked. I was an EMT prior to becoming a nurse. I am told that getting reinstated only requires a 24 HR refresher course and retesting. I loved being an EMT and I do have a passion for emergency medicine. The hours and schedule would also work great with my classes. My only problem is if the BON revokes my RN license for not completing TPAPN will I even be able to get certified and work as an EMT?? (TPAPN = 3yrs program) I welcome any advise and even constructive criticism. Sorry that was so long. I tried to skip as much as possible and get to the point.
Hello to you.I hope my reply find you in great spirits with and encouraged heart.I want you to know you are not by yourself. Many human beings face hardships.Many won't admit it.im going to keep you in my prayers.Nurses are close to my heart because you give so much and your weighted down by this world you want to help.as soon as you get caught being human, or admit to it your services are cut off.This field does require much but is give little to no support.please hold your head up high .be of good courage.you have a help of a lot to offer.Your smart, brave and have a testimony you been through something and refuse to give up.dont let negativity get to you although we have to accept reality.sometimes God has another plan for you. Your knowledge is a massive blessing.You can't become what you where from being lazy, dumb etc.you have done a great service.please focus on your greatness.keep strong, get counseling get closer to Jesus.Im cheering for you.You totally touched my heart.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Did you divert drugs?

If not, then I think you'd make a good EMT candidate.

If so, you committed an unforgivable sin and healthcare isn't for you anymore.
not true. I know at least 3 anesthesia folks that did just that and returned. wasn't easy, but they did it.