rivalry??

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
So what's up with the "rivalry" between cops, firefighters and emts/medics? In some cases, it seems more like barely-contained hatred. And it's not just the individual; it's the person in the uniform. I mean you have an emt walk into a room with a cop, and said emt does all he can to make sure that cop knows he's hated.

So why the rivalry/competition/whatever?

Can't we all just....get along?! :sad:

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
no rivalry here. Some of my good friends are cops, and I'm a firefighter so it would be dumb to hate either one of them.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Glad to add that we have none of that in our town, even between competing companies/agencies. We toot the air horns going by each other's stations, wave as we pass each other on the road, and offer to help if they need it when unloading patients in the ER if they have their hands full. I hate it for you if you have to deal with that where you work, but someone has to be the first to stop the cycle, so why not try it? :rolleyes:

OP
OP
c-spine

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
lol - I have no problems with working with either cops or firefighters. I've noticed a lot of hesitancy to work together in my area. I talked to one of the cops up here, and he said he has never seen any of that. But 17 miles south-ish of here, (I was doing ambulance ride alongs) and the medics were all but asking the cop for his gun so they could shoot him. They didn't talk or anything, but the medics were fairly ... I don't want to say rude, but they kept glaring at the cop.

The officer I talked to said that there's good cooperation here - that we need that so we can make sure everyone is safe and the patient gets the care he/she needs. It's true - but someone explain that to the paragods in my area. (I don't mean to offend anyone here by that remark, either!!) The really bad ones in my area are your typical paragod-complex medics. They are everything, and everybody else sucks. It's a pity.

I was just curious to see if anyone else had the same problems.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
At some of the events we work at, the guys from the county Sheriff will show up with chips & salsa and we'll all sit around and chat until we get a call. No real rivalry around here. Some playful ribbing, yes, but I don't see much more than that.

OP
OP
c-spine

c-spine

Forum Lieutenant
maybe it's just certain medics in my area then. -shrug- To be honest, I know a sheriff that I wouldn't mind sitting around with eating chips and salsa. -wink-

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Sometimes I see minor feather preening when firefighters and EMS are together, but as far as I see we (EMS) have a great relationship with the cops here, and fire seems to have a good relationship with them as well.

Epi-do

I see dead people
Everyone seems to get along pretty well where I am at as well. You are always going to have the occassional individual that is an exception though.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
maybe it's just certain medics in my area then. -shrug- To be honest, I know a sheriff that I wouldn't mind sitting around with eating chips and salsa. -wink-

We get to work with the reserve sheriff deputies sometimes. They've already put in 20+ years and now just work part time. They're great because they're more than happy to tell obnoxious stories. ;)

hangit

Forum Crew Member
in atlanta on tues and thurs eves., there were a bunch of guys that would come to city hall east where the fd offices and most of the police offices are located and practice for the cpat tests. everyone parked in an area that wasn't marked and never a word was said. day of the actual tests, they started towing cars. guys came out from cpat and their cars were gone.
i said to a fire lieutenant, jokingly " i knew the cops and fire really didn't get along, but that's rediculous". he just kind of laughed and said "yeah". :sad:

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it is true where you are and where you work. For the most part fire and police around here are pretty good to us EMS folks! :rolleyes: